DVDVR Message Board

WHAT ARE YOU READING?

RIPPA

I bought a new Kindle, since the old Fire I had was from 2015 and was frankly always a massive turd of a gadget.  It did lots of things and almost none of them worth a shit.

Got a Paperwhite and then realized I hadn't done my due diligence.  I knew about no SD card/storage, but I should have known about 'no apps'.  One of the biggest uses I got out of the Fire was borrowing from the library.  Turns out I had to put Libby on my phone, link the accounts and devices, borrow books from my phone, go to the book and tell it to send to my Kindle, THEN go to the Amazon page for the rental and hit another button to actually send it.  But, at least it works and I no longer feel like I ripped myself off buying this thing.

So I started reading Firestarter because it was the first book that came to mind to check out.  It's...not half bad.  The recent movie remake, while generally terrible, is at least far truer to the story than the Drew Barrymore version.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

Read X-Force, vol 5 which covers part of Cerebrax and then the Kraven thing. There's one point when Kraven is chasing Beast, and I'm like, "No, no, he has a point. The Resurrection protocols might do that asshole some good."

I finished Sex Criminals. In the end, it went in a direction that I didn't particularly care for, and I could have absolutely done without the coda which did nothing for me. It was a fun ride, even if it did feel like they were changing things as they went along, but fell short of being one of the best series of the Eisners era. Some nice character moments, but I gotta have that tightly woven plot. 

• Like 1

I've started the process of reading some of the biographies of Canadian PMs because they're our neighbors to the north and I feel it important to improve my Canadian history knowledge. I'm beginning with A Very Double Life by C.P. Stacey, which is about William Lyon Mackenzie King. I learned about him as a pre-teen thanks to The Big Book of Weirdos, part of that very cool Paradox Press/DC Comics series "The Big Book of..." Check them out if you can find them. I also loved The Big Book of Urban Legends, which I really should track down to finally buy for myself. Right now, I only own The Big Book of Weirdos and The Big Book of Vice

Anyway, so Mackenzie King was in the Weirdos book because he was super into asking his dead mother and dogs for advice in seances. The comic on Mackenzie King must have used A Very Double Life, which analyzes McKenzie King's extensive diaries that he kept from teenagehood to death, as the primary source. The back cover has a picture with King and one of his dogs that is bang on for a picture in Weirdos. Right now, I'm reading about King's love of sex workers and nurses (as sex objects) and the unfortunate Madonna/Whore complex that really has him all fucked up. Also, he sort of wanted to fuck his mom. So yeah, I'm entertained so far, is what I'm saying. 

I also acquired for the first time some pre-teen/teen lit books that I read a few times in my library trips from years ago, and I quickly blew through them. Gordon Korman's Son of Interflux is still good, but I prefer Losing Joe's Place when it comes to madcap Korman teen social comedy books. Jeffrey Kelly's The Basement Baseball Club rules. 

I made it to issue #34 of Age of Bronze. I don't know if Shanower will finish the series, but even if he doesn't, it stands as a monumental work. One of the best series I've read since I returned to comics. It's a cliche, but every panel is a work of art. I wish there was more of an audience for these types of comics, however putting them out so irregularly doesn't help with sales. Still, what an incredible labour of love. Hats off to you, Eric Shanower. 

• Like 1

The last issue was released in 2019. Shanower announced that it was the last floppy and that future issues would be released through Comixology. It was the first color issue and since then he's released color versions of the collected editions. In fact, he just released a new collection last week. What that means for the future of the book, I'm not sure, but he's still publishing it. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, JLSigman said:

Slowly working my way through The White Raven by Diana Paxson. It's a take on Isolde and Tristan.

Finally finished. It drags a lot in the middle, and there are time you just want to shake the characters until their brains finally kick in.  3/5 stars for being well researched into the time period (560's CE).

Hoopla had the 1,000+ page, all 43 issue compendium of Black Science, and while I'm rolling my eyes at it being touted as "The comic that started the multiverse craze" (lol wut) I'll see if it gets better. The first issue was a lot of excuses to curse and not much else.

Just refinished Kitchen Confidential by Tony Bourdain. My copy (an X-mas gift at that!) was stolen from me by an ex-friend around ten years ago and I never bought another copy until it showed up at work the other day. It's still one of the best autobios I've ever read. Absolutely essential for anyone who's worked in a restaurant and brings back memories good and bad. The sad thing is you will understand why Tony offed himself, because even without the eventual shows and trips he already had lived an insanely full life. That bucket list, for worse at the end of the day, was crushed to a pulp by the end of it all. 

Speaking of autobios, I just snagged this (if you wanna grab it direct beware about the website because it's infuriatingly wonky): 

I'm Not Holding Your Coat Nancy Barile Punk Woman Memoir Ian MacKaye (bazillionpoints.com)

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, JLSigman said:

Hoopla had the 1,000+ page, all 43 issue compendium of Black Science, and while I'm rolling my eyes at it being touted as "The comic that started the multiverse craze" (lol wut) I'll see if it gets better. The first issue was a lot of excuses to curse and not much else.

I'm 2/3rds of the way through this and it has improved quite a bit, and now I'm worried about how it ends.

On 4/20/2023 at 9:28 AM, JLSigman said:

On 4/26/2023 at 8:36 AM, JLSigman said:

I'm 2/3rds of the way through this and it has improved quite a bit, and now I'm worried about how it ends.

Didn't quite stick the landing. I have a feeling they needed a couple more issues to tie off the navel gazing a bit better. Not bad, don't regret reading it, but rough beginning and meandering ending.

I guess I should've done a little research, which, considering what I'm reading, is relevant.

I dug into the Lisbeth Salander books and, errrgh, I'm kind of regretting it.  The first one is a very well-put-together pot boiler, but the second one is pretty dull, and yeah, Larsson is not really that good, to the point of seeming like he got lucky with the first book.  And of course, if I'd just used the board's search function to get some intel, I would have found that this is exactly what everyone here has said about them for years. 

I used to feel bad they didn't make the other movies with Fincher, Craig, and Mara.  Now...eh, I'm good.

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I guess I should've done a little research, which, considering what I'm reading, is relevant.

I dug into the Lisbeth Salander books and, errrgh, I'm kind of regretting it.  The first one is a very well-put-together pot boiler, but the second one is pretty dull, and yeah, Larsson is not really that good, to the point of seeming like he got lucky with the first book.  And of course, if I'd just used the board's search function to get some intel, I would have found that this is exactly what everyone here has said about them for years. 

I used to feel bad they didn't make the other movies with Fincher, Craig, and Mara.  Now...eh, I'm good.

I found the Larsson ones to be okay, the new ones, written by somebody else aren't good at all. . . .

On 1/19/2023 at 8:04 PM, twiztor said:

still reading my Avengers/Cap America/Namor/Iron Man comics run. i recently finished most of the Lee/Kirby stories and will soon start the 1970s stories. some of the early stuff was a bit of a chore, but it's getting pretty good now and i look forward to what is upcoming. I am setting a soft target of reading 500 comic books this year. Really shouldn't be a stretch, i've just never kept a solid count before.

also still (re-)reading the Goosebumps series from the 90s. they are all pretty cheesy but a good way to kill an hour or so. i picked up the entire original run (62 books) a couple years ago. i would like to get on pace to read 1 per month, but i'm only on #30 so haven't hit that mark so far.

today i read the Sherlock Holmes novella "Hound of the Baskervilles" which i quite liked. i tend to prefer the shorter stories, however. this takes me to 50% of Doyle's Holmes output.

a quick estimate puts me ~300 comics read so far this year, so 500 will be a cakewalk. Just finished Namor's second solo series (counting the Golden Age books as vol 1, which i didn't read all of). It was the highlight of the stories i was reading, so i'm bummed to see it come to an end. There was a bump in quality when Bill Everett returned to the book, but that only lasted a short while and it was sad to read of his passing (even if it was now 50 years ago!)
But Captain America is very good and Avengers is enjoyable as well. Iron Man is acceptable. 

only up to #34 on the Goosebumps series. i guess technically i'm on par for 1 per month, but it sure doesn't feel like it. Hard to make it a priority due to their simplicity of both writing and story depth, but i do find them a good way to wind down for bed.

i'm 60% through Doyle's Holmes stories. Really enjoyed the last few short stories. He's excellent at table setting and follow through. i don't anticipate finishing this year, but i'm in no hurry to do so. i read them when i'm not particularly interested in superhero comics or Goosebumps, so my reading pace is very inconsistent. 

recently read a short story called All you Zombies that i really enjoyed. It's only about 20 pages and is a bit of a time travel story. Even knowing that there's only so many types of stories told using time travel, i enjoyed it quite a bit.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When you finish the Doyle, May 8 suggest the Dr Thorndyke stories by R Austin Freeman? 

so, first things first, i have no idea when i'll get around to finishing the Holmes stories. i'm enjoying them, but i try not to read them too close together so that i can fully appreciate them. this is more a marathon than a sprint.

that being said, i had never heard of Dr. Thorndyke. i quick wikipedia read sounds pretty interesting though and definitely up my alley! i will certainly keep it in mind as i look towards my next reading project. but i think Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is probably my next actual novel to read. but i'm quite a ways away from having to really figure out what comes next. i very much appreciate the suggestion!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twiztor said:

recently read a short story called All you Zombies that i really enjoyed. It's only about 20 pages and is a bit of a time travel story. Even knowing that there's only so many types of stories told using time travel, i enjoyed it quite a bit.

Completely off topic since this is the books forum, but there's a movie based on it called Predestination, starring Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (back before everyone knew her from Succession).

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:15 PM, JLSigman said:

Ooh, my library's Hoopla got the second volume of X-Men Red, so I am diving into that "Magneto knows he's dying but he's gonna make it everyone's problem" angst

This was wonderfully told. My only complaint is that the multiple artists can't decide how Roberta de Costa should look, so one full page reveal went completely over my head until it was explained. But I read the collection twice, back to back, the writing is so good.

• Like 1

I finished Dune last night and really enjoyed it. I have no idea why anyone thinks they can adapt this book as a movie. I don't think this book works without the internal dialog of the characters, which is the hardest thing to get across in screen. Then you have the fact that the coolest characters are the coolest characters because they're so rarely in page. Duncan Idaho is more fleshed or in the first 30 minutes of the 2021 movie than he is in the book, but the mystery of him is what makes him compelling. The book isn't perfect,  it doesn't pay off quite a bit of the foreshadowing which is weird in a book with the main character's relationship with time. Not only that, there are about 2.5 characters who have a full character arc,  and about 10 who I wish had more time in page. Kynes, Chani, Count Fenring, Tuek, and most of the Harkonnens all felt like they should have been in page more. I feel like the book would have been even better if we had an emotional connection to any of those characters, but it's just not enough there to make me feel anything about them.  You kind of only relate to them in how they relate to Paul, which is not enough in an almost 800 page book. If I'm into a book at 800 pages another 200 isn't going to make me put it down. Give me the extra character moments that build our relationship with more characters, the extra pages won't bother me.  With that said,  I thought the book lived up to the hype,  but it could have been even better. 

• Like 1