DVDVR Message Board

2023 Wrestling RIP Thread

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Ah hell, saw a very vaguely worded post on Facebook and came here to verify.  Damn it, I just watched the OSW where he sang Danny Boy to the lads too.

RIP Leaping Lanny.

Around 2005-6 I was on the phone talking to someone when I got a beep on the other line.  I excused myself to check it out and when I did I was stunned.

”Hello, this is Lanny Poffo for VISA.”

There was no mistaking that voice.

Me: “Lanny Poffo… the fucking wrestler?”  

Once a Masshole always a Masshole.

He chuckled a bit and said “Wellllll… I’m over 50 now so I don’t leap so high anymore and I work for VISA so I’m not a Genius.  But yes sir, it’s me”. 

I was just tripping out on how convinced I was it was him because THAT VOICE!  He later mentioned working for VISA on some podcast a few years later.

We talked for 10 minutes or so about wrestling.  Never once mentioned Macho.  Then when we said our goodbyes.  He thanked me for remembering him and never even tried to sell me a credit card.  

Peace brother.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

I used to work with a guy who did some work on Poffo's ICW tv tapings in Lexington, KY. He used to hang out a bit with Savage and the other guys. I always remember him telling me that Lanny's girlfriend at the time was really attractive and both she and Lanny were pretty "flexible". I think his exact quote was (apologies), "Oh, a bunch of us would've paid good money to watch them fuck." This dude was the most mild-mannered, chill guy, so hearing him say that was pretty hilarious.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

Thinking about it now, Poffo was probably the first wrestler to do a moonsault that I saw. His didn't have as much snap as Muta, but I do remember thinking it was really cool.

He had to be one of the first to do it in the states period. Was Muta doing the Moonsault before him in the states?

28 minutes ago, zendragon said:

He had to be one of the first to do it in the states period. Was Muta doing the Moonsault before him in the states?

Maybe it's just me, but Poffo was also the first wrestler I saw do a huracanrana. They used to show the move -- think it was against Tiger Chung Lee -- on the first WWF Superstars of Wrestling opening back in 1986-87.

He also had two great SNME moments -- the blade job after taking the Andre headbutt in the 87 battle royal, then beating Hogan by countout.

• Like 5

On 2/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, colonial said:

Maybe it's just me, but Poffo was also the first wrestler I saw do a huracanrana. They used to show the move -- think it was against Tiger Chung Lee -- on the first WWF Superstars of Wrestling opening back in 1986-87.

He also had two great SNME moments -- the blade job after taking the Andre headbutt in the 87 battle royal, then beating Hogan by countout.

It feels like either Lanny or Chavo Sr are usually credited for “inventing” the moonsault. 

• Like 1

RIP Eric Froelich. He was probably the first technical/European-style wrestler I ever saw, at the Vancouver All Star showsxtaped at BCTV studios when I was a little kid. By all accounts he was a guy with legit skills and an even better person than he was a wrestler

. https://slamwrestling.net/index.php/2023/02/11/eric-froelich-dead-at-85/

xqf7XLV.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

We don't have a ton of Froelich and a lot of what we have are little clips from 67 Australia with bad VQ but you can really get a sense of how good he was at moving in the ring from this 81 PNW match with Borne, even though he was into his 40s:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2