DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/2 - 1/8/2023

The Natural

On 1/2/2023 at 11:39 PM, DEAN said:

WWE weapons matches are so lame.  ECW weapons matches were lame.  FREEDOMS~! weapons matches are lame.  I would say that weapons matches are lame.  This is perfectly fine for a weapons match.  The problem is that you have to have a really spectacular finish to make them seem worthwhile. 

Afuckinmen!

...I fast forward over all the dramatic readings that permeate WWE programming.  Life is too short. 

I felt similarily about much of this broadcast. I've only been watching this show since the regime change, I can't imagine how stale a USOs-Street Profits bout feels to anybody whose watched any longer. I kinda dig Lumis. I'm not sure the WWE Universe agrees. Cody boy was made for the WWE Universe. I'm very pleased he made the switch. Women's tag title match was fun. Paul Helmsley really likes the interview segment leading into the match formula. Theory v Rollins was very good. Pros. And, to the above, I too take great joy fast forwarding passed 'Seth Freaking Rollins' promos! I am however very much here for Dominick Mysterio.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Dug what I caught of Hayes/Crews

Axiom/Trick was solid and probably one of Trick's best showings.

Dijak/Stacks had a decent spirited showing from Stacks before he was finally put down. Honestly, thought Dijak made Stacks look just a little too good considering their current positions. 

I skipped over a lot of the NXT women's segment. Never really fond of those as they feel awkward. Didn't really see a need for a big brawl to set up the obvious battle royal for Roxanne's first challenger. 

I did however dig Isla/Alba starting during that segment and just carrying over into their own big brawl and actual match. The two were nice and brutal with each other. Only thing that could have made it better was some blood.  Considering how easily some end up with minor cuts during these brawls its kind of impressive it didn't happen here though it would have been welcome. I'm curious to see where they go as they seemed to be building on the idea of Dawn not really caring about winning so much as bringing out Alba's darks side. Anyways right now this is probably MOTW for me though Dynamite, Rampage, and Smackdown could still change my mind. 

Javi/Oro was perfectly decent though I enjoyed their segment with Mckenzie from earlier more.

Drew/Chase was decent while it lasted.

Kofi/Gacy was solid and a nice showing for Gacy even in loss. 

The Waller/Bron segment was decent enough.

• Like 2

I am REALLY late!  AEW Dark was a marathon of wrestling!  It's Carmello Hayes taking on Apollo Crews!  I've dug Crews foray into NXT.  Hayes is an athletic freak and I dig his Strange Style.  Hayes is awesome.  They are laying it in!  Nice Delayed Vertical Suplex by Crews.  Crews is good beating the crap out of Hayes.  Crews is also a freakish athlete.  Picture in picture is all about the headscissors into a headlock into a headscissors.  Oh man, that kick to the knee by Hayes was GNARLY.  Booker T is entering a Macho Man Randy Savage realm.  Crews is great making Hayes look like a killer.  HALF CRAB!  Crews is selling the knee like a champ.  His comeback is fucking beautiful- great Lariat.  This match is great.  Hayes cuts him off with the Strange Style Kanyonesque move.  Great Nearfall by Crews.  Great way to get back around to the knee.  Hayes misses the hell out of his finisher!  But still a great match.  Axiom morphs this into a match against Trick Williams!  ECW! ECW!  I think this is the first actual singles match I've seen Williams wrestle.  Axiom is a freakish athlete!  Nice dropkick thingy for the win.  Channing Lorenzo is Stacks name!  Dijak I haven't seen much of since he was in ROH.  He is fun here, slinging Lorenzo around.  Good nearfall on Lorenzo run right into the boot of Dijak.  Dijak murderizes Lorenzo with a very elaborate Slingshot Knee To The Face!  It's not a real battle royal!   Alba Fyre and Isla Dawn are beating each other to death, I am DELIGHTED! This is fucking GREAT!  This is our new Fit Finlay versus Steven Regal.  Oh man, when they get to the ring, it's even better!  This is Jamie Hayter versus Jamie Hayter.  GREAT Throwing Of The Chair To Hit Alba Fyre Perched On The Top!  Man, I wish there was an International Feed for this match.  Isla Dawn MANIPULATES Fyre's fingers with a wrench, which is a good use of the picture in picture.  This is the NXT version of Sheamus versus GUNTHER.  I wish they would forego the weapons and just keep beating the hell out of each other though it was a fun use of the toolbox.  Finish was kinda wonky but that was the best match I've seen on NXT, which has been what?  A year and half?  Oro Mensa!  That other dude!  Javier something.  Oh right Javier Bernahl.  This is fine.  It's following Alba Fyre and Isla Dawn beating the life out of each other.  So yeah.  Mensa looks good in this.  It's Drew Gulak and Andre Chase!  This is fun.  Drew Gulak is Malenko-esque.  Chase is Orange Cassidy-esque.  Gulak procures the CRAVATE~!  Chase procures the Figure Four!  Gulak goes nuts!  That was fun.  Joe Gacy is the Secret Wrestling Machine of NXT!  Why is Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods still hanging around in NXT?  I agree with Booker T.  GREAT Superplex by Gacy.  Gacy is fucking awesome.  He makes it look like it hurts which is about all you can ask.  Gacy is the best possible Sami Callihan.  So Gacy throws the best punches in the WWE.  GACY! GACY! GACY!  Eventhough he lost.  That Fyre/Dawn match was FUCKING GREAT.  

• Like 2

Fyre-Dawn was so much fun and kind of seems like it could be headed in the direction I was thinking (creepy Dawn voodoo/black magic-ing Fyre into turning to the dark side and maybe becoming a team; there's no real road for Fyre to the title right now so she needs something to do in the meantime, and they could be a fun eeeeevil team before Fyre breaks the spell). I only wish she'd hit that swanton clean, but the Gori (Gory) Bomb through the table was a nice back-up plan.. Thought the toolbox spot was pretty brilliant in that it looked really painful and vicious. Was that the  NXT makeup crew (as seen in the Stacks Lorenzo match) working overtime on Dawn or was that an actual massive welt on her back after the backstage brawl?

I sometimes think Thea Hail could end up being the breakout star of this pack of NXT women because she is ridiculously young (She was somehow apparently born in 2003?!) but also because she throws herself 100% into her goofy Chase U character. I loved her "Girrrrrrl fight!" line tonight. Was kind of funny watching that segment because it made me think you have Toxic vs Roxanne; Jade vs Choo; Fyre vs Dawn; James vs Country girl (forget her name); Indy vs Lopez and Starks vs Lyons all as ongoing feuds in the women's division with only one involving the women's title, and WWE has two women's titles on their main shows and struggle to write feuds for anyone but the champs.

Chase U vs Drew Gulak/Hank somehow also vs Regal's son is such a fun, odd little feud.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LF2 said:

Is it just me or is Roxanne about the worst promo person in NXT? I kept waiting for her to sound like an adult, but she kept sounding like some elementary school kid yelling. 

IMO she has the same issue that Shayna has in that their voices don't convey anything more than "character from a cartoon that's trying to sound mean" so there's some dissonance. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, caley said:

I sometimes think Thea Hail could end up being the breakout star of this pack of NXT women because she is ridiculously young (She was somehow apparently born in 2003?!) but also because she throws herself 100% into her goofy Chase U character.

She's a Pittsburgh girl. Just graduated from high school in May. Crazy.

Super cool episode of Main Event this week celebrating Shelton Benjamin's 20th anniversary with a really nice tribute video and even some promo time after his match. Worth going out of your way to check out.

Just kinda sad it was relegated to Main Event.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peck said:

Super cool episode of Main Event this week celebrating Shelton Benjamin's 20th anniversary with a really nice tribute video and even some promo time after his match. Worth going out of your way to check out.

Just kinda sad it was relegated to Main Event.

I'd have missed this otherwise. Cheers:

• Like 1

Good news 

Vince McMahon is back.  Now watch him change his mind on selling WWE and just does the tv rights renewals. They're all in on it, Triple H and Steph too. They did manipulate the stock to get higher up than it was.

For now Triple H and his team are in control. For now...

• Like 1

Just now, Red King said:

Good news 

Vince McMahon is back.  Now watch him change his mind on selling WWE and just does the tv rights renewals. They're all in on it, Triple H and Steph too. They did manipulate the stock to get higher up than it was.

For now Triple H and his team are in control. For now...

Didn't you say you were leaving

• Haha 1

Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens three times at the WWE Royal Rumble: 2017, 2022 and 2023.

The only others I can think off are:

Steve Austin vs. The Rock: WWF WrestleMania XV, X-Seven and XIX.

The Undertaker vs. Triple H: WWF WrestleMania X-Seven, XXVII and XXVIII.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns: WWE WrestleMania XXXI, XXXIV and XXXVIII.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Sami with the popcorn followed a couple minutes later by all three guys having popcorn was legit one of the funniest wrestling things I’ve seen in a while. That one got me 

I was dying. That whole show was fucking great in so many ways. The whole Hit Row/ Ricochet and Braun segment was incredible.  I love it when a babyface act debuts and shits the bed, so they have to turn them heel. They teased it last week when Ricochet basically told Top Dolla he stinks. Then Mr. " I hates the flippy floppy guys" Strowman continues to be the bestest buddy of the greatest flipping wrestler currently. There's so much going on there and fucking Ricochet has to be in it after having the match of the year a couple weeks ago against GUNTHER. 
Fantastic shit. And I loved everything else. That was a great freaking show.

• Like 2

The Bloodline segments were pretty good. Roman gradually getting more angry and losing his shit right before owens came out was great. Loved the apology later to Sami as well for losing his cool. Those were some of Roman's best bits acting wise in a while. 

Kofi/Santos was solid stuff. The two worked well together. Glad Escobar walked away with the win.

The Mixed tag was fine. 

Charlotte/Sonya was another solid match. Kind of surprised they are going in with a face push for Charlotte though the crowd was fine it so its seemingly the safe option for now. I assume they get tired of her and she turns in a month or two. That or she pushes to be a heel for a Bianca feud.

Lacey's vignette was alright. I like the idea of her taking on the Cobra Clutch as a new finisher. 

Ricochet/Top Dolla was an alright squash. Loved the post match turn for Hit Row. This was what they needed instead of trying to come back like nothing changed with Swerve gone. The save by Braun was nice as well.

Missed much of the first half of Usos vs. Sheamus/Drew, ut I loved the second half. Great action and drama. The bits going backstage to Sami, Roman, and Heyman were wonderful as well for building to the popcorn moment.

Solid show overall.

• Like 2