DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Stardom Flashing Champions spoilers

Spoiler

Well, those were certainly some results

New Era were the only champions to retain against Natsuko and Momo yet I'm not sure anything sums their reign so far up better than winning via flash pin and then immediately getting shuffled to one side in favour of something else happening. That something being QQ coming out to face off against Oedo Tai and ending up being roped into a 6v5 (as it stands) cage match. After another Utami/Saya misfire earlier on, even though they won, it feels like this is only going one way..

We have a new High Speed champ as "Instant Kill" Saki Kashima stole the belt away from AZM by pinning FukiDeth. Fits Saki's character tbh (and is her first singles title, apparently) - shame for AZM's reign to end but much like SLK she has to move up at some point.

Artists match was really good, again pretty unexpected for ReStart to lose v1 but there's def something going on with Saori, Giulia's been flat out saying she can't trust Poi and it looks like something is going to come from it. Not entirely sure what Kairi's situation is either, seem to remember she was indicating she wanted to work more. Rossy will be getting extra value out of the cage as Mayu & FWC challenged for the belts.

I'm relatively new to Stardom generally so will try to reserve judgment but it feels a little OTT for Mina to lose so early. I will have to watch it again as the layout felt a bit odd as well, she had long spells in control and worked the knee yet Tam just kind of shrugged it all off and won (with a bridge, at that).

Mirai challenged for the White belt so that'll be happening at some point. No sign of anything on the Red side so we might get interchanging defences for a while, unless Tam drops one relatively quickly.

Title matches aside Suzu/Maika/Mei looked pretty good as a unit, if they're really going ahead with this generation split that's a solid group to build off. I did wholeheartedly enjoy Suzu beating the piss out of Nanae and then Syuri on comms laughing at her afterwards.

Also Mariah made it overtly clear she wants to challenge Mayu for the IWGP. Not a hope in hell she wins but honestly having not seen her too much before today she absolutely pops off the screen, charisma-wise (esp. compared against her teammates). She's definitely got something, would be a good showcase for her if they do run it.

The first batch of participants were announced for the 5* as well - down to 20 this year

-Mayu Iwatani

-Hazuki

-Utami Hayashishita

-AZM

-Saya Kamitani

-Natsuko Tora

-Starlight Kid

-Momo Watanabe

-Giulia

-Maika

-Tam Nakano

-Natsupoi

-Saori Anou

-Syuri

-Mirai

-Ami Sourei

-Mina Shirakawa

-Suzu Suzuki

-X

-XX

Last 2 spots come from a tourney June 18th

No Koguma, Saki Kashima or Thekla probably the most notable names not in (yet)

Kind of disappointed the 5*GP is smaller this year. Was hoping Ruaka and Thekla would be in. 

Those Flashing Champions results are surprising with exception of the main. I had a feeling it was heading that way.

Ice Ribbon had a genuine surprise at their dojo show today, as Yappy (teaming with Pure-J's AKARI) pinned Totoro Satsuki (teaming with Kyuuri) in the main event. It's the first time Yappy has beaten a champion in Ice Ribbon, a day before Totoro is scheduled to defend the Infinity title against Michiko Miyagi at 176BOX in Osaka. Totoro landed the Falling Totoro, a senton off the top rope, but lackadaisically covered Yappy, who reversed into a crucifix hold to pin her.

After the match, Yappy asked Totoro if she felt it was okay for her junior to pin her the day before a title match, and that if she was upset, use it as motivation to retain the title and keep it from falling out of Ice Ribbon's hands.

The crowd seemed very shocked by the result because they were quite loud when the bell rang. It's rare for Ice Ribbon to do a finish like this but I think it was very well done.

Also, Ibuki Hoshi's recent turn is going swimmingly. She flipped out a few weeks ago after Kaho Matsushita accidentally kicked her to cause the pair to lose to Sumika Yanagawa and Misa Kagura, and last week she was actually disqualified for strangling Kaho with Tsukina Umino's belt. This week she utterly mauled Saran, finishing her off with an Exploder suplex. Even that has roots in justification for Ibuki - she helped Saran get a win recently when the two were tagged up, and Saran slapped her for not letting her get the win by herself, so Ibuki was rightfully cheesed off.

Some fairly clever long-term booking going on!

• Like 1

Ice Ribbon from today... in spoiler boxes because they've randomly been putting non-streamable shows up on Club Ice Ribbon as bonuses (like SKIP City did last week), and they aren't able to stream from 176BOX, so with any luck this might show up soon?

Spoiler

Hikari Shimizu and Kaho Matsushita fell short against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto for the International Ribbon Tag Titles, with Hamuko pinning Kaho with the diving body press. Hikari and Kaho have become quite popular as a team so I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge again in a few months. They even unveiled merch this weekend. The sticker sheet is ADORABLE.

https://twitter.com/Kaho_Matsushita/status/1664993846646939649

Totoro Satsuki retained the Infinity Title by pinning Michiko Miyagi with Moving Like A Thunderstorm. Totoro is always portrayed as stronger in her hometown so this wasn't really in doubt in my mind. I was a little cold on Michiko when she came in but her performances have been fairly enjoyable in Ice Ribbon. A low pressure environment with a lot of tags seems to be good for her. I wouldn't mind her sticking around if this isn't it for her, but admittedly I'm not sure what's next.

What's next for Totoro, though, was a rambunctious Yappy, who challenged her for a shot. That will take place 6/18 at SKIP City. Yappy, teaming with Ganbare's YuuRI, made BRS' Miyu (partnered with HisokA from JTO) submit to a Gory Special in the second match. I can't recall Yappy using the Gory Special before. She's really improved since returning from her injury so this push seems like a good reward for all her hard work. I can't see her winning, but she had a great hoss battle with Totoro a couple of months ago at the dojo and I think we'll get a repeat of that.

And Ibuki Hoshi continued her rampage, finally putting down Sumika Yanagawa. Sumika has beaten Ibuki multiple times in recent months and has always seemed like a thorn in Ibuki's side. Ibuki looks like she's finally plucked the thorn out with what sounds like a convincing win, at least from reports in the building.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Totoro retain over Yappy, then another retain (my guess is at Yokohama Radiant Hall on 7/17), before Ibuki takes the title at Ice in Wonderland at Korakuen on 8/26. From there it seems like your Ribbonmania main event on 12/31 will be Ibuki vs Hamuko (as Ibuki has said she wants to fight her mother for a title again this year, and that seems like a natural conclusion) or Ibuki vs Hikaru Shida (assuming Shida is available/able to drop a fall, as that story is not complete). Ibuki lost to Totoro in Totoro's first defense, but again, that was in Osaka, where Totoro always seems stronger.

Just theories, anyway.

Generational War 2:  WOW (also Wow, I don't know what the fuck they're saying at the end.  I was vaguely able to understand something about an elimination match and Mirai is in for Utami)

5.20 show was also a miracle on Earth.  Koguma/Mariah May was like seeing the inside of Jerry Lawler's mind.  Like that 3D part in Freddy's Dead. Utami was doin' some HBK selling. I would say nobody was dogging it on the show but Jessie buzzed in and crop dusted the room.  The stink dissipated quickly though.  That match gets an instant billion snowflakes because Ami Sohrei did the puff out her cheeks at 2.9 bridge.

Stardom

Spoiler

Mei Seira challenged Saki Kashima for the High Speed belt. But Saki declined, she doesn't want to face any High Speed Style wrestlers.

Mina and Mariah May want the tags.

Pineapple woman joined Cosmic Angels. 

Stuff is going on between Natsupoi and Saori Anou

Also there are other story beats being pushed.

Jaguar Yokota vs. Monster Ripper - AJW 1982 is absolutely phenomenal! The type of wrestling I love. Every move, grapple, and reaction just feels so earned. Such struggle as Monster Ripper is stretching the much smaller Jaguar but also struggle of Monster Ripper to fight off the relentless and Yokota. I’m stressed and exhausted. Phenomenal.

—-

EDIT so I won’t double post.

now I just finished Jaguar (as Rimi?) Yokota vs Jackie Sato and I think Jaguar could be my new favorite wrestler! Same level of intense struggle but this match with fighting through submissions. They beat the hell out of each other. I’m so pumped up!!!!!!!!

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, Sparkleface said:

Ice Ribbon from today... in spoiler boxes because they've randomly been putting non-streamable shows up on Club Ice Ribbon as bonuses (like SKIP City did last week), and they aren't able to stream from 176BOX, so with any luck this might show up soon?

Reveal hidden contents

Hikari Shimizu and Kaho Matsushita fell short against Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto for the International Ribbon Tag Titles, with Hamuko pinning Kaho with the diving body press. Hikari and Kaho have become quite popular as a team so I wouldn't be surprised to see them challenge again in a few months. They even unveiled merch this weekend. The sticker sheet is ADORABLE.

https://twitter.com/Kaho_Matsushita/status/1664993846646939649

Totoro Satsuki retained the Infinity Title by pinning Michiko Miyagi with Moving Like A Thunderstorm. Totoro is always portrayed as stronger in her hometown so this wasn't really in doubt in my mind. I was a little cold on Michiko when she came in but her performances have been fairly enjoyable in Ice Ribbon. A low pressure environment with a lot of tags seems to be good for her. I wouldn't mind her sticking around if this isn't it for her, but admittedly I'm not sure what's next.

What's next for Totoro, though, was a rambunctious Yappy, who challenged her for a shot. That will take place 6/18 at SKIP City. Yappy, teaming with Ganbare's YuuRI, made BRS' Miyu (partnered with HisokA from JTO) submit to a Gory Special in the second match. I can't recall Yappy using the Gory Special before. She's really improved since returning from her injury so this push seems like a good reward for all her hard work. I can't see her winning, but she had a great hoss battle with Totoro a couple of months ago at the dojo and I think we'll get a repeat of that.

And Ibuki Hoshi continued her rampage, finally putting down Sumika Yanagawa. Sumika has beaten Ibuki multiple times in recent months and has always seemed like a thorn in Ibuki's side. Ibuki looks like she's finally plucked the thorn out with what sounds like a convincing win, at least from reports in the building.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Totoro retain over Yappy, then another retain (my guess is at Yokohama Radiant Hall on 7/17), before Ibuki takes the title at Ice in Wonderland at Korakuen on 8/26. From there it seems like your Ribbonmania main event on 12/31 will be Ibuki vs Hamuko (as Ibuki has said she wants to fight her mother for a title again this year, and that seems like a natural conclusion) or Ibuki vs Hikaru Shida (assuming Shida is available/able to drop a fall, as that story is not complete). Ibuki lost to Totoro in Totoro's first defense, but again, that was in Osaka, where Totoro always seems stronger.

Just theories, anyway.

Sure enough, there's 176BOX. I don't know if Ice Ribbon decided to move on from their Nico channel aside from pre-2022 content since there hasn't been updates to that in a long while, and the most recent updates were reuploads of 2013 shows in better quality. I'd be fine with that since the YouTube streams are of much better quality.

• Like 1

Spark Joshi Pro's west coast show drew quite a good crowd for 11am on a Friday.

The incredibly tiny Ram Kaicho is now the Spark Joshi Pacific Champion, beating SAKI in the main event. Best match was Miyu Yamashita vs Delilah Doom.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 3