DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Seemingly there was a falling out between Unagi and Stardom, we'll just never really find out what happened because they are pretty good at keeping stuff like that quiet.

In other unsurprising news, Suzu Suzuki has announced that wrestling in Stardom will be her main focus now:

• Like 1

Totoro Satsuki retained the Infinity title over Ibuki Hoshi, then said she wanted Ice Ribbon to be more of an open promotion. She was one of the ones who protested the plan to have Ice Ribbon exclusively cooperate with Actwresgirlz, so that's not a surprise. Not sure what she specifically means by "open promotion", but if it rebuilds the bridges with folks like the COLOR'S group then I'm all for it.

Speaking of said COLOR'S group, Hikari Shimizu's team with Kaho Matsushita is going well. They beat Hamuko Hoshi and PURE-J's Momo Tani today, then challenged Hamuko and Makoto for the International Ribbon Tag Titles. That looks like it will happen on June 4 at 176BOX.

• Like 1

Ami Sourei's wig has GOT to go. Can't believe Nanae didn't just rip that critter off. What in the damn hell is that thing?  They need to stick it back in the wardrobe closet with Natsupoi's weird mop hair.

Is Konami gone again now?  I liked her UWF match with Syuri better than the Hashimoto match.  Now, if somebody does the Contra Code on Konami do they get thirty lives or instantly self destruct?

All that Fuwa-chan stuff went over like a wet fart in a dry county in this household.

I wanna see Thekla built up for a title shot at Mina.  That's the big match for November. 

10 hours ago, lostinube said:

Decided not to go anywhere during Golden Week but Mayu Iwatani makes me regret not going to Shimonoseki to see her dive off the Stardom tour bus.

God, they should have ribbed her like Nanae, Momoe, etc. did Manami Toyota back when AJW was doing shows at the Fuji TV headquarters. Manami climbed on top of a TV truck, and they moved out of the way instead getting in position to catch her. You never seen a woman or a wrestler period regardless of gender look as foolish as Manami getting ready to do her to big dive off the TV truck/platform and then having to climb all the way back down. This was big girl bully era Manami and it's not like she ever learned how to come down lightly before she got bigger. They probably thought screw that noise.

• Haha 2

Spoiler

Mina defeated Natsupoi. 

Next is Mina vs Tam for both Red and White belts, which will take place at the Ota Ward show on the 27th. Tam wants to be Double Crown champ.

Last time both belts were on the line in the same match was 4 years and 8 months ago, back in Sep 2018.

A story in three tweets:

Taichi left a gift for the Stardom wrestlers at the Kokusai Center.

Tam went to look for it but it was already gone. (Taichi unfairly blamed one of the custodial staff)

Who got it? (Spoilered because it's three tweet links in a row and they eat up space.)

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you have Club Ice Ribbon (which is Ice Ribbon's YouTube subscription service), they posted Osaka Ribbon from 4/29 as a bonus the other day. The main event of Totoro Satsuki making her first defense of the Infinity title against Ibuki Hoshi was pretty rad. Totoro is finally using her size and strength as she should. and I was really impressed with how well she carried herself. The undercard was a little shaky (the local folks from BRS seemed like they were having an off day), but the title match and the semifinal of Hikari Shimizu & Kaho Matsushita vs. Hamuko Hoshi & Momo Tani were both super fun.

Tomorrow's dojo show has Crea vs. Kaho Matsushita, which is all I need. Still waiting to hear what the special rules for the match will be, but since it's Ice Ribbon it will likely be something silly and fun.

Michiko Miyagi debuted for Ice Ribbon today, said she had been kicked out of GLEAT, and wants to wrestle for Ice Ribbon as much as possible.

My opinion of Michiko, dating all the way back to her tenure as Cassandra Miyagi, is a solid "meh", but I'll keep an open mind since it looks like she may become a regular. Her match today against Yura Suzuki was decent enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Michiko Miyagi debuted for Ice Ribbon today, said she had been kicked out of GLEAT, and wants to wrestle for Ice Ribbon as much as possible.

My opinion of Michiko, dating all the way back to her tenure as Cassandra Miyagi, is a solid "meh", but I'll keep an open mind since it looks like she may become a regular. Her match today against Yura Suzuki was decent enough.

She's okay IMO. I saw some of her matches in GLEAT, and she improved slightly. You still cannot tell she's been wrestling for almost a decade. That's kinda scary.

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

She's okay IMO. I saw some of her matches in GLEAT, and she improved slightly. You still cannot tell she's been wrestling for almost a decade. That's kinda scary.

I think she just comes off as awkward more than anything, like she struggles with how to work with her height. I've also often wondered if she struggles with motivation issues because there are a lot of times where I get the vibe that she's going through the motions, and it's not her gimmick making her seem aloof.

• Like 1

I liked Miyagi in the past and think she is better than ya'll are giving her credit for. At the same time I sort agree. I think motivation issues lead to an awkwardness in much of what she does. 

How did we not talk about Sareee's produce show on 5/16? This thing's only got four matches but it's loaded.

1. Riko Kaiju vs. Yurika Ota
2. Miyuki Takase & Ibuki Hoshi vs. Arisa Nakajima & AKARI
3. Jaguar Yokota & Nanae Takahashi vs. Kaoru Ito & X
4. Sareee vs. Chihiro Hashimoto

Matches 2 and 4 on paper should be great, and I'm really high on Riko Kaiju so I think the opener should be a bunch of fun too.

42 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

How did we not talk about Sareee's produce show on 5/16? This thing's only got four matches but it's loaded.

1. Riko Kaiju vs. Yurika Ota
2. Miyuki Takase & Ibuki Hoshi vs. Arisa Nakajima & AKARI
3. Jaguar Yokota & Nanae Takahashi vs. Kaoru Ito & X
4. Sareee vs. Chihiro Hashimoto

Matches 2 and 4 on paper should be great, and I'm really high on Riko Kaiju so I think the opener should be a bunch of fun too.

Saree & Chihiro have had some good matches in SENDAI before so I'm sure that it will deliver. Cool to see some another solid SENDAI talent with Takase.