DVDVR Message Board

2023 Puroresu General Discussion

RIPPA

AJPW is having Ryuki Honda and T-Hawk battle it out to be #1 contender.

Gotta assume that Nagata is retaining on the 29th, though either of those potential challengers winning would be a real surprise and possibly shake things up a bit.

AJPW

Kenoh and Soya retained the World tags, and seems the next match may be in AJPW. Maybe. The NOAH/Kongoh guys don't want the titles in AJPW.

DDT

Matt Cardona will wrestle in DDT. He will face Endo (c) for the Universal title.

Fwn4ueKXwAAJwGU-678x381.jpg

Edited by 赤い竜

Mercedes Mone broke her ankle during her title match with Willow Nightingale. 

Spoiler

She *finished the match* and dropped the title to Willow.

Early word is she's out for at least 2 months. 

• Sad 2

There wasn't any dislocation like there was with Dante Martin. I really hope it wasn't from the turnbuckles still being wet after being cleaned up after the Juice match.

• Like 1

Holy shit if that came to pass. Which Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa match do you rate at the best one? For me, it's definitely the 31st October 1998 in AJPW. After that, AJPW (20th January 1997) and Pro Wrestling-NOAH (1st March 2003). Gave all three *****.

Edited by The Natural

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Holy shit if that came to pass. Which Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa match do you rate at the best one? For me, it's definitely the 31st October 1998 in AJPW. After that, AJPW (20th January 1997) and Pro Wrestling-NOAH (1st March 2003). Gave all three *****.

It’s wild to me that KK Vs MM was still such a draw in 2003. That’s a match that fans had seen multiple times. Hard to think of any other rivalry that had that sort of staying power—though I’m guessing something like Omega Vs Okada might be the closest comparison?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

It’s wild to me that KK Vs MM was still such a draw in 2003. That’s a match that fans had seen multiple times. Hard to think of any other rivalry that had that sort of staying power—though I’m guessing something like Omega Vs Okada might be the closest comparison?

That or The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. I'd still have Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa #1.

Hey, not sure if it’s annoying to ask for link requests but I’ve been searching for this one for a bit: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Shuji Ishikawa - BJW March 31st, 2015 (aired I believe April 14th so it could be under either date). I love me some Sekimoto beefy grappling. 

——

Re: Misawa vs Kobashi. I’d love to travel down the King’s Road chronologically (like our friend @Matt D is doing, if you’re not reading his thread on that I highly recommend checking it out. Agree or disagree with certain takes, it’s a fantastic thread!). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Hey, not sure if it’s annoying to ask for link requests but I’ve been searching for this one for a bit: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Shuji Ishikawa - BJW March 31st, 2015 (aired I believe April 14th so it could be under either date). I love me some Sekimoto beefy grappling. 

——

Re: Misawa vs Kobashi. I’d love to travel down the King’s Road chronologically (like our friend @Matt D is doing, if you’re not reading his thread on that I highly recommend checking it out. Agree or disagree with certain takes, it’s a fantastic thread!). 

I'll look for you, bud and will check the latter out xxx.

• Thanks 1

Yuji Nagata defeated T-Hawk. The next challenger for the Triple Crown is Yuma Anzai. Yuma is being groomed as the next Ace of AJPW. 

Kenoh and Soya retained the World Tags. So Voodoo Murders kicked out Suwama. But Suwama was saved by Shuji Ishikawa and Kojima, but it seems Suwama is still a heel by himself.

• Thanks 1

Fun thing about the Anzai defence is that it’s difficult to predict. I can’t imagine that the plan is to have Nagata as champ long-term, and Anzai is a super rookie who they’re building as the future ace.

So, is this gonna be a match where Anzai proves his mettle in a competitive (but ultimately unsuccessful challenge), or a record-setting TC win for AJPW’s rising star?

• Like 2

I think inflation why attendances aren't fully back so much.

Also some fans probably dropped off for good. Some people in Japan also decided to stay in more or become recluses post covid.

I still say WWE/AEW should've done something like this in the name of COVID relief. Say, Shield one-night reunion against "aces" (MJF, Styles, Danielson). It shouldn't be that tough to work out finishes unless you go pure promotion vs promotion.

• Like 1