DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, colonial said:

Mark and Jay working for TNA in 2002 -- they were 17 and 18 at the time and looked like mini-X Pacs. 

Wrestling-style wise? Because they’re the shaved head tag team. I remember them having a ton of buzz early on and then years later I saw a photo and they had turned into the hillbillies.

40 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FmSrOc2akAA4e2S?format=jpg&name=medium

All AEW Originals. All AEW Champions.

can you really count former IWGP Champion Kenny Omega as an AEW original? 

how about former IWGP, 3x ROH, 4x PWG Tag Team champs the Young Bucks?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is really fun that anytime you see a Japanese star coming to the US for dates, there's a good chance of them showing up on AEW TV in some sort of dream match. Think about how crazy that would sound to like 2010 us.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Log said:

It is really fun that anytime you see a Japanese star coming to the US for dates, there's a good chance of them showing up on AEW TV in some sort of dream match. Think about how crazy that would sound to like 2010 us.

I really did not appreciate it enough as a kid getting to see Ultimo, Kaz Hyashi, Chono, Muta and so many more on WCW TV - having a much better understanding of contracts at 35 than I did at 9 makes me realize the gravity and the specialness, and as you say, the pure fun

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I really did not appreciate it enough as a kid getting to see Ultimo, Kaz Hyashi, Chono, Muta and so many more on WCW TV - having a much better understanding of contracts at 35 than I did at 9 makes me realize the gravity and the specialness, and as you say, the pure fun

All the young stars of Toryumon! Magnum Tokyo was the biggest in WCW, but we got Cima and Suwa too!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, zendragon said:

Supercard of Honor 2023

Holy Shit I will be at this (Also very excited to see the Timesplitter in AEW, he's a favorite)

On 1/16/2023 at 3:38 PM, colonial said:

Mark and Jay working for TNA in 2002 -- they were 17 and 18 at the time and looked like mini-X Pacs. 

Big gut punch seeing these now knowing what we do, Jay Briscoe passed away at only 38. Scary how things can change just like that. Telling my Dad how we were talking Briscoe only recently. Fucking sucks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

gut punch seeing these now knowing what we do, Jay Briscoe passed away at only 38. Scary how things can change just like that. Telling my Dad how we were talking Briscoe only recently. Fucking sucks.

Yeah, weird timing on that conversation. I started yesterday reading 'Hows he only 38?' here, and ended it with news of his passing. Pulling for those kids, man.

• Like 2

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/william-regal-says-original-plans-for-aew-role-never-transpired

Says he didn't expect to be on screen as much as he was.  I'm guessing the original role was going to be more scouting? 

Tony bought ROH after Regal came in IIRC, the roster is huge, and they have guys out there working the indies scouting first hand.  They didn't really need a talent scout like WWE did.

Regal is truly better off in the WWE. It’s like they said, they already have people like that. Honestly the WWE doesn’t really need him as a scout either. They have more modern guys that can search for this talent too. And to be honest with Vince back in charge, he won’t want the kind of people that Regal would find either. So it’s looking like if he gets back in it’ll be a superficial role within the WWE. Which is perfectly fine, but let’s see if Vince wants that now that he’s back hovering over his son-in-law

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

AEW should start uploading full matches on their YouTube channel.

I agree, I didn’t get to set up to tape the most recent Battle of the Belts and would like to see the matches after the Acclaimed-TNAHoles rematch.

• Like 1

In the middle of January, I have to give props to two wrestlers that have significantly improved in my eyes and have really made a difference in watching AEW programing:
Brian Cage and Ethan Page

Both were just dreadful, unentertaining vacuums of charisma prior, I'd usually change the channel when they came on.

I'm totally digging the path (so far) they've made with Cage as far as having a longer, more entertaining and competitive match with local talent he's been doing lately. Coupled with Prince Nana who is absolutely great, he's improved so much since his Team Tazz days.

Ethan Page (like I mentioned in the Youtube thread) was just awful during the Men Of The Year/ATT days, as his stint there was very boring to me. I'm absolutely loving what he's been doing with Hardy Party, it really makes entertaining viewing during Dark Elevation and Dark, despite Cranky-Ass Isiah trying to stop him.

• Like 5