DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Sting is one of my all time favourite wrestlers growing up with my #1 in Bret Hart, The Undertaker and Randy Savage. The bright colours and blonde hair. What a transformation going from Surfer Sting to Crow Sting, the best iteration. Fuck Hogan and Bischoff for WCW Starrcade 1997. Fuck Wolfpac Sting.

Sting's TNA run was hit and miss. Liked the all too brief hybrid version of Surfer Sting/Crow Sting/Wolfpac Sting which debuted at TNA Bound for Glory 2006 when he beat Jeff Jarrett for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Joker Sting was a favourite of mine for obvious reasons.

I hated Sting's WWE run particularly vs. Triple H at WWE WrestleMania XXXI for a number of reasons: Sting vs. The Undertaker was the money match, Sting who never left WCW vs. The Undertaker who never left WWF, the n.W.o helping Sting and Sting jobbing. Sting thought the cinematic match Taker had vs. AJ Styles at WWE WrestleMania XXXVII was the avenue to making it happen but no. Sting getting hurt to Seth Rollins at WWE Night of Champions 2015. So upsetting that having to retire.

Sting's AEW run has been amazing, his team with Darby Allin vs. Ricky Starks/Brian Cage in his first match for 6 years at AEW Revolution 2021, a cinematic one on my birthday weekend. Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR is the best Sting/Darby match at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. Sting no selling Superkick Party by the Bucks at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2021. Old man Sting fucking jumping off shit. So glad Sting is having this run going out on a high, one of his best in his long career.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 10

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

Frankie Kazarian has signed a full time contract with Impact so he’s gone from AEW now.

It was a good run, it was a weird turn when he showed up as Sammy's second against Scorpio and Lambert but it was nice to see him get TV time.

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

Supercard of Honor 2023

Holy Shit I will be at this (Also very excited to see the Timesplitter in AEW, he's a favorite)

I just googled the Briscoes and was stunned to discover they are only in their late 30’s.  Lol, they look older than me and I’m in my early 50’s.  Mark definitely does not look 38

On the positive side, holy shit, would I look great for my age if I stood beside them. That’s the trick to aging gracefully.  Hang out with people who look rough for their age.

I am kind of curious why the Briscoes seem to be morphing into extras from Pirates of the Caribbean.  Does that explain why they look 50-ish?  I guess the pirate life is not for thee?

I do feel bad for these guys.  I feel like they’re going to be in awful shape during the second part of their lives.  I’ve seen a lot of Briscoe Bros. matches over the years and the one that stands out is the very first time I saw them.  They wrestled in CZW and beat the stuffing out of each other with gratuitous head drops and unprotected chair shots.  I’m surprised those two guys are still in the business 20 years later.  Hell, I’m surprised those two guys still have a few functioning brain cells between them.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2023 at 11:40 PM, The Green Meanie said:

Plus, it didn't help that that's what his intro video said, but he was announced as "Heavy Metal"

My favorite part of his ring intro was when he was announced as “you guessed it - Frankie Kazarian!” as though that was anyone’s guess. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

1. Starting when you are 17 (or so). I saw them wrestle for MCW at their high school (I think) in 99 or 2000. 

2. Country living in Slower Delaware on the chicken farm 

Those two work entirely way too fucking much. Wrasslin', farming, raising kids, and they had or have a lawn maintenance business, too.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:42 PM, Doc Townsend said:

I just googled the Briscoes and was stunned to discover they are only in their late 30’s.  Lol, they look older than me and I’m in my early 50’s.  Mark definitely does not look 38

My mind is blown that they were just around 22 when they were wrestling Steen and Generico back in 2007, they definitely looked way ahead of their time. They were around Top Flight's current ages for some reference.

• Like 3