DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Excellent news: AEW and Jeopardy! crossover material is coming

https://twitter.com/dabryceisright/status/1613299648881635328

Give us Wrestling Before & After and Wrestling Wrhyme Time

Didn't share last week because we're supposed to be cutting back on pictures, but Ken Jennings was at Dynamite in Seattle.  

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

FTR are off TV for the foreseeable future:

"I also have the blessing of Tony Khan to talk about this and make a statement about this," Dax said after saying he had the blessing of Cash to speak on the topic. "Tony has been nothing but top-notch to me and Dan [Dax] since day one. There are things that we haven't agreed on, as any boss and any employee, even any friend. There are times that I felt the boat was missed on opportunities for us. There were times that I was super happy with everything we were doing, but there has come a time where we are on the tail end of our career. Right now, at this point in our career, is the most important time in our career. I mean that monetarily, creatively, and personally. It is the most important time in our career. With that being said, we have asked and been granted the next few months off of television so we can sit back, reflect, decide, let out bodies heal, and figure out what we're going to do for the next few years. Whatever we decide to do next will be the absolute last thing we do as far as wrestling."

He continued, "By April, we will have an answer. I have to take my health, my family, my creativity, and I have to take my personal life all in consideration about what we're going to do next. I know what I want to do, but whatever we do, I just want to be respected. I feel we have done something so special in 2022 and most of that is in part to the fans. We deserve to continue to build on our legacy for ourselves, but also we owe it to the fans to build on that legacy because they made us this past year. I'm not sure exactly how long we'll be away. It may be all the way until the end of our contract. Our contract is up in April."

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/dax-harwood-says-ftr-has-been-granted-few-months-television

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

This has been one hell of a run for Sting. Just fun as fuck and the perfect example of how you should use a veteran like Sting. I basically missed out on his entire run in TNA because, well, fuck watching that nonsense, but every time Sting is on screen it has been a treat and pairing him with Darby can't be described as anything other than a huge win. Darby has even picked up on some of those classic Sting mannerisms and moves and made them his own. Now Darby's body just needs to hold up to carry on the legacy, but that's a huge ask.

• Like 5

I finally got around to watching last week's Rampage/Battle of the Belts and the thread is locked.  Fun, easy 2 hours of wrestling.  Top Flight v. Mox/Danielson was the highlight for me.  I love when Jericho does commentary and I dig his interactions with JR and Tony

some great musical references on these shows

"My way your way anything goes tonight!" - Jericho with a shoutout to his buddy Duff

Jericho - "He looks confused..."

JR - "And dazed!"

Jericho - "Dyslexic Zeppelin over here!"  (great band name, trademark it Chris!)

And then you had Kip's "I'm in your head!  I'm in your head!" and he breaks into The Cranberries!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If Sting really is going to retire after this contract then what a run it's been. Just a complete renaissance for the man. His TNA run Joker-Sting onward and his WWE run had me convinced he was washed, but what a pleasant surprise this whole run has been. I'm also ecstatic for Darby Allin that he will be the lasting part of Sting's legacy moving forward. Just incredible for the guy. I wouldn't even mind if Sting's last match in AEW was against Darby. Don't even have to do the turn, just have Sting announce he's retiring this year and say that there is one more guy in AEW he wants to wrestle "AND THAT'S YOU DARBY!" then you have a teacher vs student deal and Darby "graduates" by retiring Sting. It writes itself. Darby already did the Sting chest-beating no sell in the Samoa Joe match, maybe he takes the Death Drop? I dunno. Whatever. That man called Sting will always rule.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

If Sting really is going to retire after this contract then what a run it's been. Just a complete renaissance for the man. His TNA run Joker-Sting onward and his WWE run had me convinced he was washed, but what a pleasant surprise this whole run has been. I'm also ecstatic for Darby Allin that he will be the lasting part of Sting's legacy moving forward. Just incredible for the guy. I wouldn't even mind if Sting's last match in AEW was against Darby. Don't even have to do the turn, just have Sting announce he's retiring this year and say that there is one more guy in AEW he wants to wrestle "AND THAT'S YOU DARBY!" then you have a teacher vs student deal and Darby "graduates" by retiring Sting. It writes itself. Darby already did the Sting chest-beating no sell in the Samoa Joe match, maybe he takes the Death Drop? I dunno. Whatever. That man called Sting will always rule.

In a perfect world, Sting and his daughter vs. Ric and Charlotte

But in this reality...Darby going over Sting would be great

• Like 1