DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

MJF is a really good wrestler, AmDrag is an all time great, but I have zero interest in a 60 minute Iron Man match. Nothing matters in those matches until the final 2 minutes. I’m sure everything leading up to those final 2 minutes will be pretty good, but it’s hard to get into knowing it’s all a little meaningless.

I'd like to see the match going very even, with a lot of descisions, of all kinds, pins, count outs, dq's and submissions, starting from the first five minutes and ending up somewhere like 12-11 or more by the end of it. MJF could be cheating his ass off getting a descision, with Danielson evening things up, maybe getting one ahead, with MJF scrambling, doing everything to get back even and then maybe one ahead. Please, no 2-1 at the end or even 4-3! No someone getting several descisions ahead, only to lose at the end, nor winning in sudden death overtime. Enough descisions to keep things moving and both guys having the advantage and disadvantage several times throughout the 60-minutes. Something to totally revamp the story you can tell in an Iron Man Match. These guys can definitely pull it off if they put their minds to it for the next couple of months.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

MJF is a really good wrestler, AmDrag is an all time great, but I have zero interest in a 60 minute Iron Man match. Nothing matters in those matches until the final 2 minutes. I’m sure everything leading up to those final 2 minutes will be pretty good, but it’s hard to get into knowing it’s all a little meaningless.

That's the difficulty with Iron Man matches alongside moves that wouldn't normally get a pinfall do here. Still a fan of the Iron Man gimmick when done right: Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude (WCW Beach Blast 1992, *****), AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels (TNA Against All Odds 2005) and Bayley vs. Sasha Banks (NXT TakeOver: Respect, *****).

I still prefer matches that go long organically: Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk I/II (ROH World Title Classic/ROH Joe vs. Punk II, both *****) Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena (WWE RAW, 22nd April 2007), Hangman Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson I (AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021, *****). 

What other great matches am I missing that were/weren't Iron Man?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's the difficulty with Iron Man matches alongside moves that wouldn't normally get a pinfall do here. Still a fan of the Iron Man gimmick when done right: Ricky Steamboat vs. Rick Rude (WCW Beach Blast 1992, *****), AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels (TNA Against All Odds 2005) and Bayley vs. Sasha Banks (NXT TakeOver: Respect, *****).

I still prefer matches that go long organically: Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk I/II (ROH World Title Classic/ROH Joe vs. Punk II, both *****) Shawn Michaels vs. John Cena (WWE RAW, 22nd April 2007), Hangman Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson I (AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite, 15th December 2021, *****). 

Austin Aries/Bryan Danielson- Testing the Limit

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Austin Aries/Bryan Danielson- Testing the Limit

One of the few Bryan Danielson matches I haven't seen. I love me Bryan Danielson but Austin Aries is a prick and bridge burner extraordinaire. Hope you're okay btw. Been thinking about you bud. My PM here is always open as FB Messenger is inconsistent.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

One of the few Bryan Danielson matches I haven't seen. I love me Bryan Danielson but Austin Aries is a prick and bridge burner extraordinaire.

It's a great match.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Johnny Mundo vs. Prince Puma in Lucha Underground

Shocked no one's mentioned Angle vs. Brock

Because those were iron man matches and this is about matches that went 60 minutes or longer “naturally” IE not an iron man match.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Because those were iron man matches and this is about matches that went 60 minutes or longer “naturally” IE not an iron man match.

Can you read?

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Edited by Dolphman 3000

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfv1Ss6hB0

Josh Alexander vs TJP which about 5 people watched because you know Impact

Plus the Flair v Steamboat trilogy 

• Like 1

This. Dr Britt Baker vs. Kris Statlander for the AEW Women's World Championship at AEW All Out 2021 is so underrated. What a show that was with Miro vs. Eddie Kingston, CM Punk vs. Darby Allin, Lucha Brothers vs. Young Bucks even though I find that overrated along with the debut of Bryan Danielson. Shame Kenny Omega/Christian Cage main event was way inferior to their match on the first episode of AEW Rampage.

• Like 3

This is not the world's most helpful post, but it's a little bit amazing to look at the 4 year anniversary of the initial press conference yesterday and just how few of those initial wrestlers I wanted to watch at all, especially considering how into 80% of the product I am now. There's a reason that other than the initial Cody vs Dustin match, I didn't actually see a second of AEW TV until Christian showed up and Punk was on his way in. I was very much one of those "It's good that it's making people happy, I guess." people on the board for a long while.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is not the world's most helpful post, but it's a little bit amazing to look at the 4 year anniversary of the initial press conference yesterday and just how few of those initial wrestlers I wanted to watch at all, especially considering how into 80% of the product I am now. There's a reason that other than the initial Cody vs Dustin match, I didn't actually see a second of AEW TV until Christian showed up and Punk was on his way in. I was very much one of those "It's good that it's making people happy, I guess." people on the board for a long while.

Beautifully put. It’s always fascinating to see how a product can evolve. Whether it is adapting with a changing culture  or reactions to a changing roster, it is fun to witness the successes and awkward to witness the failed attempts with companies throughout this business’s history.

• Like 3