DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You're getting hung up on the not getting paid thing. He's not getting paid but he's also not doing any work yet. Think of it more as an agreement to start work once school is done. I think the word contract is just throwing you off a bit. It's like when a high school athlete pledges to play for a certain college. They still have to finish high school before they're allowed to enter college and play. In a lot of ways it's more of just a PR thing until he's eligible to start going to work than anything.

If wwe calls him on his birthday and says we’ll give you 1 million dollars to be on smackdown as Nick freakin Wayne, he better legally be able to take that offer. Or he got terrible advice by someone. 

But if he gets a call that he now owns The Atlanta Braves, TBS, TNT & gets the rights to revive WCW he better be able to take it. Or he got terrible advice by someone. See I can also throw out random things that have no chance of happening lol.

I still contend he isn't even a blip on the WWE radar. So the anger you have seems really misplaced from my perspective. Even tho he has potential to be really good, he's still just an indy kid from Portland right now. WWE would never offer him more than NXT minimum. It's not how their business model works. So being mad about a hypothetical that has no chance of occurring is a bit confusing to me. I hope the kid becomes a giant star and proves you right in believing in him tho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

NJPW Changes STRONG Brand To Encompass All American NJPW Shows

I guess the STRONG/ROH merger is dead - NJPW is rebranding all its US shows as STRONG going forward for broadcast on FITE and NJPW World

There was never a merger to begin with, nobody like TK or Obari ever said that was happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

There was never a merger to begin with, nobody like TK or Obari ever said that was happening.

Yeah, we were just hypothizing that the change to STRONG was going to coincide with the ROH tapings finally getting underway. Note; even with this change that doesnt rule it out that there'll be collaboration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

Yeah, we were just hypothizing that the change to STRONG was going to coincide with the ROH tapings finally getting underway. Note; even with this change that doesnt rule it out that there'll be collaboration. 

Yeah, I have to agree here, if anything, it seems like not branding it as strictly-NJPW points to an equal-or- higher chance of cooperation, but I may be missing something here

• Like 1

The week that Ibushi is in the States, specifically California, AEW will be in Missouri (live Rampage that week too). Supercard of Honor is in LA, but it’s also the same day as Joey Janela’s Spring Break. But I guess it’s possible he flies in early maybe, does Dynamite, then flies to California? Bloodsport is on Thursday, so he’d have to leave almost immediately. A week earlier might work since they’re in Canada. The week after WM Weekend, AEW is in Long Island.

It’s entirely possible, but the thing that’s unlikely is Ibushi signing with AEW. He wants to be a freelancer apparently.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

One thing to consider with Ibushi, wonder if AEW using him would rock the boat with the New Japan partnership. I don't think it would, but it's possible New Japan is not happy with Ibushi bringing negative light to their name and would rather their partners not use him.

Hope that's not the case. Some Ibushi matches in AEW would be great.

• Like 1