DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

42 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I think Tony's telling stories. I don't believe one word of this. My theory: He doesn't want the Briscoes on AEW because of a possible backlash but no one outside of wrestling nerds gives one crap about ROH. So make up some executive who doesn't want them on television and go on with things. 

I 100% think he's lying about this. 

Also, did he explain why he wasn't able to do Briscoes/FTR on AEW? Did anyone in the hard-hitting wrestling press follow up with him or ask the name of the executive or get comment from him or the WBD as a whole? 

Nope. I'm not buying any of it. 

With all due respect, you are totally off on this. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

With all due respect, you are totally off on this. 

Yeah, I would agree on that. That's A LOT of stuff to lie about it especially with zero incentive and literally with no proof.

• Like 3

I think a lie about the company your negotiating a tv deal with blocking a tribute show so they look like the villains is a pretty dumb move to make. Maybe a lie to block the initial hiring or using them as a one time surprise, but not a lie about blocking a tribute show being on tv. 

Having the tv network be the scapegoated villains could be safely done backstage and/or maybe even maintain med within the wrestling bubble, but risks of the passing and health conditions of children being a human interest piece that captivates more hearts and gets outside of the bubble only for WBD to eventually deny the reports is Tony playing with fire.

I’m not even saying your wrong. Tony could be ballsy enough to be lying, but I don’t believe he is. 

Side note: As I’m typing this, it’s pretty ballsy to out that there even was an executive(s) in the first place! I don’t know anything. Maybe Gregg is right. Maybe this whole thing has been a lie from the beginning. The Jacksonville Jaguars money. Follow the money. Is Tony Khan even actually related to his dad? Tony has been posing as Shad’s son since the beginning to get the money to open up his own wrestling company. But follow the money. Is AEW making money? The books are closed. I assume not, especially with the contracts they’re giving out and the companies they’re buying. Nick Wayne isn’t even an adult yet. Child labor. Follow the money. Does Tony (if that is his real name) want AEW to be profitable? Maybe just look flashy and cool to con it on some suckers. Pull a fast one like a hot Chevy on the corner with a For Sale sign that when you open up the hood after you buy it the engines held together by old paste and rubber bands. Snake oil salesman. Follow the money. Who would be in the market for a wrestling company that looks hip now wow and money isn’t an issue? Follow the money. The true Saudi Government handshake deal with Vince to buy the WWE fell through after some pesky twitter accounts foiled their plans. They’re looking for the next best thing. If you can’t get Sami and Kevin, who are the next best Canadians? Kenny and Chris! Follow the money. Winnipeg could be Quebec with a little love, glitter, and long bread. Tony wants to sell AEW to the Saudi Government. Twitter will be too invested in being mad at this imaginary WBD executive. By the time the deal goes through, people will be ecstatic that they don’t have to witness Ruby bleed again. Follow the money.

- Sean Ross Alvarez 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Champaign, IL ain't that far away from Indianapolis, IN.

I believe Tony Khan concocted the plan to screw Hulk Hogan out of the WWF title at The Main Event against Andre the Giant in February 1988. The fraudulent wrestling media wants you think it was The Million Dollar Man. Follow the money behind the money. It was the Khan family! Who was the one who paid for Dave Hebner and Earl Hebner's plastic surgery so they can look TOTALLY ALIKE? It can only be one source. Dave is dead now. That ain't no coincidence. 

Who banned Hulk Hogan from AEW? You know who.

It's been 35 years but the Hulkster has been proven right. Never too late for the truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

History has shown that the world's truth-tellers are:

1) The children of billionaires

2) Wrestling promoters

No one said that. However, lying is a big accusation especially now that it's a moot point. That is unless you are on some new level conspiracy stuff that Tony had the foresight that Jay Briscoe would tragically pass away and he could get brownie points for having his grieving brother on. However, that's basically on the same level as Brodie Lee having covid and AEW going out of their way to lie about it. If you're going to say Tony is lying on something where it makes no sense to lie (to the point of making up an imaginary person) then you might as well say he is lying on everything.

• Like 3

Reflecting on the passings of Mr. Brodie Lee/Jay Briscoe, it's so refreshing both are spoken in reverence and not exploited in AEW for cheap disgusting heat like Eddie Guerrero/Reid Flair were in WWE. Never liked that.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No one said that. However, lying is a big accusation especially now that it's a moot point. That is unless you are on some new level conspiracy stuff that Tony had the foresight that Jay Briscoe would tragically pass away and he could get brownie points for having his grieving brother on. However, that's basically on the same level as Brodie Lee having covid and AEW going out of their way to lie about it. If you're going to say Tony is lying on something where it makes no sense to lie (to the point of making up an imaginary person) then you might as well say he is lying on everything.

The lesson Bruce Mitchell should've taught us is that becoming so cynical and jaded can lead a person right down the wrong conspiracy rabbit hole.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Reflecting on the passings of Mr. Brodie Lee/Jay Briscoe, it's so refreshing both are spoken in reverence and not exploited in AEW for cheap disgusting heat like Eddie Guerrero/Reid Flair were in WWE. Never liked that.

They did though? Preston's promo on Rampage where he stumbled through telling everyone how well he could talk.

Sometimes, people with executive power will make up random pointless (harsh) rulings, merely to revel in the fact that they have the power to do so. I can buy that "Random unnamed Warner Brothers Discovery executive" would do that, and then refuse to back down in the face of tragedy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

The lesson Bruce Mitchell should've taught us is that becoming so cynical and jaded can lead a person right down the wrong conspiracy rabbit hole.

I could very well be wrong. I admit that. But the dots aren't connecting for me. 

I am far from a cynical wrestling fan. I just don't believe most, if any, wrestling journalism.

I say that as a professional journalist. Dave does a good job with a lot of things but I think he doesn't scrutinized a lot of what he's fed or doesn't try to get the other side of the story. That's just what I pick up since I'm in the same line of work, albeit I write about finance and not wrestling. I've been a journalist for most of the past 25 years. I have a good eye for when something is sloppy. 

My "conspiracy theory" does not include the Briscoe tragedy at all. The tributes last night were great and that match was absolutely awesome. The Briscoes are incredibly important to wrestling this century (and I haven't even watched a lot of their stuff since I never got into ROH, but it's so clear). Ring of Honor is also now an AEW affiliate, so it absolutely deserves to be on AEW programming. And an incredible amount of the roster knew him and were close friends. It's an absolute tragedy and AEW handled the tribute ridiculously well. 

I think the whole "we can't have the tag match against FTR or they can't be on the AEW roster because of a network executive" thing is a sham. I highly doubt any network executive has veto power or any influence on the direction of AEW beyond "tone down the blood" and "stop the cursing." Even that feels like an exaggeration because they have not toned down the blood or stopped the cursing. I don't even think an executive would know who the existence of The Briscoes since they were never in WWE and nobody really cares about Impact. It's not like a wrestler's dumb and misguided Tweets were national news. They were just something in the wrestling bubble, and even that was a limited one since mainstream WWE wrestling fans probably only know them in limited amounts, if at all. 

Tony's a wrestling promoter and a rich kid. That's pretty much the wheelhouse of people prone to exaggerations or fibbing or -- yes, lying -- for their benefit. Does anyone really think he's doing anything with Fulham or managing the analytics for the Jacksonville Jaguars and running AEW? He's running AEW and only AEW since that's his passion project. And there are plenty of reasons why he might be fibbing about this. He wants to sell Ring of Honor PPVs. What better way to do that then having a main event everyone is hyped for that he didn't give away on free TV?

The Briscoes are family guys who live in rural Delaware, which is a few hours away from any airports. They've wrestled for years, so they're likely really banged up and want to limit how much more damage their body can take. They might want to sit out AEW because of all of that. 

Dave has a motivation, too. He gets eyeballs for things like "creative is burying this guy" and the like when there's a lot of evidence that's not the case. There have been a ton of "XXX is burying this guy because of personal reasons" and the performer in question is getting 20 minutes of screen time or is in main events. 

All of that, to me, makes a lot more sense than a TNT executive is putting the clamps on them because of objectionable (and really objectionable) Tweets from half a decade ago.

I believe Dave is the one who broke it. Who do you think fed him that? Did any wrestling journalist scrutinize it and ask for the executive's name or cross-check that with an executive or someone from the TV network? It does not click for me at all. And why does anyone believe wrestling journalism anyways, considering the whole WWE-Saudi fiasco?

I could very well be wrong. I admit that. But the dots aren't connecting for me. 

This is the last I'll talk about it. I apologize to anyone offended since I wrote this after the tragedy. That was really insensitive of me. And I am bolding this because I really, really, really mean it. 

But I do want to explain my thoughts. It's not some dark conspiracy theory. I've never posted anything like that. If anything, I've been critical of the wrestling conspiracies. Like 3/4's of the board hated me because of my argument: "If they hate Daniel Bryan why is he the focus of every episode and is closing the show?" Or I was scorned because I dared thought the WWE was incredible during that stretch. Because it was. 

• Like 3

Sometimes you should learn when to stop. Your last two sentences have literally nothing to do with any of this and you could have just stopped with your bolded statement. Instead, you had to go there? Really?

• Like 4

For the record, I agree with @Greggulator in that I don't buy the WBD executive or whoever was blocking the Briscoes. I won't go as far to say that TK is/was lying. I honestly don't know what he's said on the matter. I just have never thought that it added up. Honestly, I'd say someone in AEW (maybe TK himself) took a look at the possible backlash of bringing them in and weighed their options and decided against it.

Now, if I'm personally starting a pro wrestling promotion, I'd have had the Briscoes at the top of my want list. From all accounts, they are well-liked/loved in the locker room and can work with anyone in any style. But I can totally see why someone who has to operate in more of a corporate structure would be gun shy.

• Like 2

My problem with the theory is if it were true, why would Tony Khan sign the Briscoes at all and continue paying them? Not to mention book them on pay-per-view matches for his new Ring of Honor? 

I don't know whose decision it was. But whatever the decision, whatever the ban was, it was lifted now. Frankly, I don't have a problem how this was handled last week. The condition of Pugh's family and his daughters sort of trumps any nonsense related to "did AEW pay a hard enough tribute to Jay Briscoe on TV."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

My problem with the theory is if it were true, why would Tony Khan sign the Briscoes at all and continue paying them? Not to mention book them on pay-per-view matches for his new Ring of Honor? 

I don't know whose decision it was. But whatever the decision, whatever the ban was, it was lifted now. Frankly, I don't have a problem how this was handled last week. The condition of Pugh's family and his daughters sort of trumps any nonsense related to "did AEW pay a hard enough tribute to Jay Briscoe on TV."

An even more obvious problem with this theory: why would you lie about and defame the WBD execs who hold the fate of your company in their hand? That would seem to be a monumentally stupid idea on multiple levels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, sabremike said:

An even more obvious problem with this theory: why would you lie about and defame the WBD execs who hold the fate of your company in their hand? That would seem to be a monumentally stupid idea on multiple levels.

Yes, that's the most "...wait. What?!" part of this. Unless you believe they are in on the whole ruse, that would be perhaps the most idiotic thing TK could do. It would also take a minute for someone to reach out to them and them to refute everything Tony said. I doubt Tony Khan would self sabotage himself over the Briscoes.

You can say the dots aren't connecting and then provide a bunch of dots that aren't connecting. That itself is irony.

• Like 1

Here is my theory(which is pretty simple), TK, and AEW didn’t want to use Jay on national TV like WWE didn’t want to sign the Briscoes because even with them repenting for what they did, in the age of social media that would have never been enough. As soon as Jay & Mark made it to TV somebody would’ve pulled out the old receipts, and everybody would have to eat that old simmering heat. It literally took Jay’s death, and others in the wrestling community to acknowledge his contributions to be enough. What a fucking shame. Fuck the fast moving internet mob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't it either earlier this week or late last week that someone from WBD was praising AEW and in the same article had them not really defending the Dana/Power Slap League controversy but deflecting to "it's an experiment"? The timing of that tells me they (WBD) don't want to look like the bad guys. If Tony was telling a fib or exaggerating, it would have came out right there.

• Like 3