DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

SRS says Jay White's contract with New Japan is ending and AEW and WWE both have interest (with WWE being confident they'll land him).

But then again, Jay is a pretty big troll online and does this a lot to hype up interest in big matches.

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

SRS says Jay White's contract with New Japan is ending and AEW and WWE both have interest (with WWE being confident they'll land him).

But then again, Jay is a pretty big troll online and does this a lot to hype up interest in big matches.

Where do people think White fits better?

21 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Danhausen got a write up in the New York Times. The article also does a good job breaking down developing a character and getting over for non-fans - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/magazine/danhausen-wrestling.html

Here is how to get past the paywall.

Thought one interesting tidbit was how dustin Rhodes is in gorilla naming wrestling moves for the commentators. 

2 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I guess it depends on how shored up the AEW roster is on top heels as currently constructed. You've got MJF, Chris Jericho, potentially Swerve Strickland, Adam Cole if he's healthy, Malakai or Miro or Rush if Tony ever decides to pull that trigger, Punk if he actually comes back. Jay's great and anyone should want him, but there already potentially a lot of people in house who could occupy the space he might want. 

With more programming on the other side and potentially a greater need for a fresh face, who knows? 

I want him to go to Impact full time and become their new ace, but I'm sure he's more ambitious than that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I guess it depends on how shored up the AEW roster is on top heels as currently constructed. You've got MJF, Chris Jericho, potentially Swerve Strickland, Adam Cole if he's healthy, Malakai or Miro or Rush if Tony ever decides to pull that trigger, Punk if he actually comes back. Jay's great and anyone should want him, but there already potentially a lot of people in house who could occupy the space he might want. 

With more programming on the other side and potentially a greater need for a fresh face, who knows? 

I want him to go to Impact full time and become their new ace, but I'm sure he's more ambitious than that. 

I want a Jay White-Seth Rollins feud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Danhausen got a write up in the New York Times. The article also does a good job breaking down developing a character and getting over for non-fans - https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/10/magazine/danhausen-wrestling.html

Here is how to get past the paywall.

That was very well written and that second link is a neat trick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

To me, he seems like a better fit for AEW, but AEW also has a limited amount of tv and already has a number of guys they could be elevating.  White might just get lost in the shuffle.

Personally, I’m hoping he signs with WWE.  I don’t watch a lot of WWE these days, but I’ll probably watch more WWE than AEW this year and beyond, so I’m more likely to see him there.

• Like 1

Jay White is best off in New Japan. He stands out there as a guy who can work US heel style. I think he'd be just another good wrestler in WWE or AEW. He has a good look, works smoothly and has good stamina. So do a lot of other guys. I don't think he'd stand out as much on a roster with other charasmatic heels.   He *might* be exposed as nothing special in that area. If he expects to me immediately be used as one of the top guys (and he probably does) it could be a mistake for AEW to sign him to a big contract. EDIT: Oh. Juice Robinson just brought up Bullet Club on Dark! If the plan is to have an AEW (or ROH) BC faction and sell a bunch of t-shirts... Has that ship already sailed? I've never bought BC gear and am unlikely to start now. (On the other hand, I do have an LIJ hat that I wear all the time). Is there a chance that AEW  could re-ignite that fire, though? I doubt it, in fact I think it might flop,  but I have been wrong before.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Jay White is best off in New Japan. He stands out there as a guy who can work US heel style. I think he'd be just another good wrestler in WWE or AEW. He has a good look, works smoothly and has good stamina. So do a lot of other guys. I don't think he'd stand out as much on a roster with other charasmatic heels.   He *might* be exposed as nothing special in that area. If he expects to me immediately be used as one of the top guys (and he probably does) it could be a mistake for AEW to sign him to a big contract. EDIT: Oh. Juice Robinson just brought up Bullet Club on Dark! If the plan is to have an AEW (or ROH) BC faction and sell a bunch of t-shirts... Has that ship already sailed? I've never bought BC gear and am unlikely to start now. (On the other hand, I do have an LIJ hat that I wear all the time). Is there a chance that AEW  could re-ignite that fire, though? I doubt it, in fact I think it might flop,  but I have been wrong before.

Hadn't considered this because they talk is he's bound for America, but this might be the correct answer. But he's seemingly reached a certain level there, and might benefit from a fresh talent pool to work with full-time. 

Still amazed they haven't called TOD on Bullet Club after all these years. As much as I like them, watching Chris Bey and Ace Austin carry the banner so many years later in Impact hits like such a step down for the Club. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

(Jay) might benefit from a fresh talent pool to work with

That's a really good point. It occurs to me that he might be the right choice as heel ace for the rumoured ROH/NJPW Strong alliance. That would give him fresh match-ups and opportunities to keep working both sides of  the Pacific. It also occurs to me that he just might be hyping up his upcoming Loser Leaves Japan match with... Uh, Hikuleo?  Yep. It's Hikuleo. I wouldn't mind seeing Hikuleo as a midcard heel in AEW! There's a guy whose full potential has yet to be unlocked!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordlow said:

That's a really good point. It occurs to me that he might be the right choice as heel ace for the rumoured ROH/NJPW Strong alliance. That would give him fresh match-ups and opportunities to keep working both sides of  the Pacific. It also occurs to me that he just might be hyping up his upcoming Loser Leaves Japan match with... Uh, Hikuleo?  Yep. It's Hikuleo. I wouldn't mind seeing Hikuleo as a midcard heel in AEW! There's a guy whose full potential has yet to be unlocked!

I read that Hikuleo is headed to the WWE.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

That's a really good point. It occurs to me that he might be the right choice as heel ace for the rumoured ROH/NJPW Strong alliance. That would give him fresh match-ups and opportunities to keep working both sides of  the Pacific.

Yes, this is the way. Let him be a big fish for a brand, and we get weird Strong-type bookings like he had against Bailey and Swerve. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Jay really needs to change his shtick so I look forward to Slashdagger G. Fuschia on Raw

If he ends up there, given his antipodean heritage, and Vince’s return, I wouldn’t be surprised if he became Knifey Spoony

• Haha 2