DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 AEW Discussion Thread

RIPPA

ProWrestlingTees put out the list of the 25 wrestlers that sold the most in 2022. Only two of them aren't AEW wrestlers (Flair & Hall). It does include ShopAEW, so I'd be curious to see the list without that included, but nonetheless...

1. Danhausen
  2. CM Punk
  3. MJF
  4. The Acclaimed
  5. Jon Moxley
  6. Malakai Black
  7. The Young Bucks
  8. FTR
  9. Sting
  10. Kenny Omega
  11. Orange Cassidy
  12. Chris Jericho
  13. Claudio Castagnoli
  14. Hangman Page
  15. Adam Cole
  16. Ric Flair
  17. Bryan Danielson
  18. Dr. Britt Baker DMD
  19. Hook
  20. Scott Hall
  21. Hikaru Shida
  22. Darby Allin
  23. Eddie Kingston
  24. Jeff & Matt Hardy
  25. Billy Gunn

EDIT: I found the list without AEWShop included. If anyone is interested: Flair, Hall, Bret Hart, Gargano, Hana Kimura, Macho Man, Jay White, Foley, Austin and Piper.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

That's really wild to me that Danhausen is even above CM Punk as far as moving merchandise (on PWTees). I know he's a big fan favorite, but to the effect of being the most sold merch for the company? Impressive. I think we need more TV time for Danhausen.

• Like 3

That list includes AEW's official online store so by all accounts he's outselling the entire roster on something that accounts for probably 90% of their merch sales (not counting stuff like Walmart/Target/whatever figure sales and live event merch).

I mean, Khan did say shortly after Punk debuted that his merch sales alone made up the cost of paying Punk to come in, and at that point he only had shirts online, so...

Punk would have probably taken top spot if he wasn't gone for so long last year. Would have had at least one new shirt post-All Out. Missing the 2 months previous probably didn't help either. Maybe he has a new shirt around Forbidden Door? Maybe just having more eyeballs on him during that time encourages more sales than were made while he sat on the shelf? Or maybe it doesn't matter because Danhausen is a merchandise machine?

Punk was really only gone for two months. Injured in June after Double or Nothing, back by August to start the All Out build with Moxley. I don’t think two months really changes all that much, merch wise anyway. Danhausen gets so many shirts between PWTees and AEWShop, while Punk has shockingly few designs.

It also helps that most of Danhausen’s stuff is cool as fuck. Not that Punk’s isn’t, but the designs are just better. 

Edited by Casey

10 hours ago, Casey said:

It also helps that most of Danhausen’s stuff is cool as fuck. Not that Punk’s isn’t, but the designs are just better. 

Absolutely. I have a Danhausen shirt from his indie days and people have asked me what band it is. Meanehile, most wrestling merch looks like something you'd win at a state fair. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I still maintain that even more than Kenny or The Bucks or MJF, the loss of Jade to the WWE would be the biggest blow to AEW. She has a great story, a one-in-a-million look, every one of my poor friends who I force to watch wrestling with me is instantly like "Who is THAT?" and the media seems to love her. I don't know what her relationship with Cody and Brandi is like these days, but she seems like such a natural fit for the WWE style and they wouldn't have to change a thing about her. I assume Tony Khan knows this and is doing whatever it takes to keep her happy.

• Like 5

"Prior to training under AR Fox, Heath Miller, Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall, Cargill tried out at the WWE Performance Center in April 2019. She was eventually invited back, but turned the company down."

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-jade-cargill-confirms-rejected-wwe-offer-after-tryout-performance-center/

They might not have anything to worry about at all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They’re in the top ten and are moving more than Sting. Let’s not pretend they’re dead in a ditch. 

TOP TEXT: “Rancho Cucamonga, CA 2023”

PICTURE: Young Bucks driving a 2014 Toyota Corolla

Bottom Text: “Killing the Business”

Edited by Octopus
THIS IS A BULL MARKET, BABY! OCTOPUS IS BACK! BUY BUY BUY!
  • Haha 5

On 1/2/2023 at 11:46 AM, Krone Meltzer said:

"Prior to training under AR Fox, Heath Miller, Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall, Cargill tried out at the WWE Performance Center in April 2019. She was eventually invited back, but turned the company down."

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-jade-cargill-confirms-rejected-wwe-offer-after-tryout-performance-center/

They might not have anything to worry about at all.

She’ll leave for Hollywood or something before she wrestles for any other company. Also, I think the Acclaimed showing up on nXt rapping about how Tony khan let them get away would probably hurt worse…

22 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

It's pretty wild that the Bucks were regarded as major merchandise movers when AEW started and are now non-factors. 

It really feels like AEW has outgrown the Elite. As a focal part of the company, anyway.

• Like 3

That is a group that is on no fewer than three federal watch lists. 

Mean mugging -- CHECK

Other faces obscured -- CHECK

Hastily printed banner promoting obtuse but potentially dangerous ideology -- CHECK

Wallpaper that ensures photo was taken at the lead guy's mom's house -- DOUBLE CHECK

Edited by Dog
  • Haha 8

26 minutes ago, Dog said:

Wallpaper that ensures photo was taken at the lead guy's mom's house -- DOUBLE CHECK

more like “House of Floral Patterns”

also would it have killed them to take a press to the flag? Those creases hurt my OCD

Edited by Ultimo Necro