DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

Yeah, not getting the “That’s inappropriate” when he could be legit crying out for help. 

The guy might live the alpha male “I don’t give a fuck” lifestyle, but I’ve dabbled in that too. It’s just bravado, most of those guys let their guard down, and you find out that a lot of shit effects them, they’re just assholes about it. You just have to passive aggressively antagonize them to get it out.

Now he may not kill himself, because ultimately he probably doesn’t want to die. Especially someone who’s never gone down the same extreme path as his friends, but you do sometimes end up feeling extremely mournful when people close to you disappear from your everyday life that you feel apart of you is being removed from you.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, not getting the “That’s inappropriate” when he could be legit crying out for help. 

The guy might live the alpha male “I don’t give a fuck” lifestyle, but I’ve dabbled in that too. It’s just bravado, most of those guys let their guard down, and you find out that a lot of shit effects them, they’re just assholes about it. You just have to passive aggressively antagonize them to get it out.

Now he may not kill himself, because ultimately he probably doesn’t want to die. Especially someone who’s never gone down the same extreme path as his friends, but you do sometimes end up feeling extremely mournful when people close to you disappear from your everyday life that you feel apart of you is being removed from you.

This doesn't have to be binary.  We do not know if he was joking or if he was serious.  Everyone is interpreting his words in their own way and no one is wrong.  If he's joking, that's completely inappropriate and he should probably not do that any more.  He also could be legitimately crying out for help, and if that is the case, I hope he gets all the help he needs.  He's one of those people who's public face has been nonchalant, but he went through something traumatic and he has to be affected by it.  I hope that he's just being a dick and trying to use humor to deal with his feelings, but if he's serious, I hope that he understands that there are a lot of people who would be affected by his death.  I always kind of loved and hated Nash for his "above this bullshit" attitude, and I hope to God, he's on his usual bullshit.  With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he's really hurting and this is his misguided way to ask for help.  

• Thanks 2

Speaking as a depression sufferer with suicidal ideation, I really don't have a problem with Nash even if he is joking. Humor is a coping mechanism. I use gallows humor all the time. I refer to my anti-depressants as my "don't kill yourself" pills. I also have a mix of songs about suicide on Spotify. It seems counterintuitive, but as the late Bushwick Bill once said, "Why must I always sing these sad songs?/ Because it comforts all my feelings inside til all the bad's gone". 

If you suffer then by all means get help though. I medicated depression with whiskey for way too many years because of stubborn pride...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

Speaking as a depression sufferer with suicidal ideation, I really don't have a problem with Nash even if he is joking. Humor is a coping mechanism. I use gallows humor all the time. I refer to my anti-depressants as my "don't kill yourself" pills. I also have a mix of songs about suicide on Spotify. It seems counterintuitive, but as the late Bushwick Bill once said, "Why must I always sing these sad songs?/ Because it comforts all my feelings inside til all the bad's gone". 

If you suffer then by all means get help though. I medicated depression with whiskey for way too many years because of stubborn pride...

I 100% agree with this with one caveat.  I use humor as a coping mechanism, but I also understand that not everyone is in on the joke.  If I'm talking to friends, loved ones, and/or people who understand who I am and how I cope with things, I will go ahead and make jokes that people may find distasteful.  If I'm talking to someone I don't know, or in a public forum, I will not make these jokes.  Nash, who is a public figure who's words reach far farther than mine, should understand that not everyone is going to appreciate that joke (if he is joking).  I don't want to be that guy, but not every joke is for everybody, so I guess I'm saying we should all consider our audience in these cases.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I 100% agree with this with one caveat.  I use humor as a coping mechanism, but I also understand that not everyone is in on the joke.  If I'm talking to friends, loved ones, and/or people who understand who I am and how I cope with things, I will go ahead and make jokes that people may find distasteful.  If I'm talking to someone I don't know, or in a public forum, I will not make these jokes.  Nash, who is a public figure who's words reach far farther than mine, should understand that not everyone is going to appreciate that joke (if he is joking).  I don't want to be that guy, but not every joke is for everybody, so I guess I'm saying we should all consider our audience in these cases

No I think you make a perfectly valid point as well supremebve. I totally get where you're coming from.

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

so, would a group of Psychiatrists be the main heel group in a Scientology-funded wrestling promotion?

Would they just stand there for 20 minutes while the opposing wrestler goes from insulting them to spilling their guts out until they are nothing but tears?

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

so, would a group of Psychiatrists be the main heel group in a Scientology-funded wrestling promotion?

Managed by a CEO of a Glaxo-Smith-Klein expy that makes anti-depressants. 

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Would they just stand there for 20 minutes while the opposing wrestler goes from insulting them to spilling their guts out until they are nothing but tears?

Yes.  1000% facts.

Here's a comment that definitely doesn't warrant a thread (I guess maybe you could call it a bit of 'focus-grouping' on some level):

Hypothetically, let's say you (yes, you!) were starting your own promotion tomorrow - any level - it could be a local break-even indy just for fun, a third national brand, a lottery win to challenge the Dueling Khans - whatever. 

Would you go with a more traditional, initial-based name (e.g. WCW, ECW, WWF) ?

would you go with something more outside the box (e.g. Ring of Honor, House of Hardcore, House of Glory, Zona 23) ?

Or would you go with a single succinct word to sum it up (e.g. iMPACT Wrestling, Warrior Wrestling, Studio Wrestling) ?

I tend to lean toward option 2 or 3 because so many of the good initials are taken, but then again, I would have never dreamed up ' A. E. W. ' before it started, and now it sounds normal to me, so perhaps there's something off the beaten path that my brain just simply hasn't gotten to yet.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

I’m giving the book to the bloke who had a Bunkhouse Buck fetish on this board.

Gonna build around the three faces of James Golden: Jimmy Golden, Bunkhouse Buck, and Jack Swagger Sr.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Here's a comment that definitely doesn't warrant a thread (I guess maybe you could call it a bit of 'focus-grouping' on some level):

Hypothetically, let's say you (yes, you!) were starting your own promotion tomorrow - any level - it could be a local break-even indy just for fun, a third national brand, a lottery win to challenge the Dueling Khans - whatever. 

would you go with something more outside the box (e.g. Ring of Honor, House of Hardcore, House of Glory, Zona 23) ?

Or would you go with a single succinct word to sum it up (e.g. iMPACT Wrestling, Warrior Wrestling, Studio Wrestling) ?

I tend to lean toward option 2 or 3 because so many of the good initials are taken, but then again, I would have never dreamed up ' A. E. W. ' before it started, and now it sounds normal to me, so perhaps there's something off the beaten path that my brain just simply hasn't gotten to yet.

At this point, damn near every name has been taken by some car mechanic who "promotes" pro wrestling on the weekend. You've had every permutation of "World", "(E)xtreme", "Global", "US/A", "International", "Universal", "Federation", and "Championship Wrestling" you can think of. If I had my druthers, I would go for something classy and not something as derivative or corny. I thought Grand Prix was a good name and since it's no longer in use, I would probably go with that. That said, not doing shows in the Maritimes.

Not trying to make "wrestling" sound like a dirty word ("It says wrestling up on the marquee" - Arn Anderson), but I feel like you wanna be instantly recognizable without having to throw wrestling in there. When someone says World Class, you think Dallas, the Sportatorium, and Reunion Arena. When someone says Mid South, you think Jackson, MS, New Orleans, Tulsa, Little Rock, and the Boys and Girls club in Shreveport. When someone says Mid Atlantic, you think of the Greensboro Coliseum, Dorton Arena, and some of the stops in the Virginias. It would probably be more closer to a regional promotion since that would be what I probably go for in terms of authenticity, but I don't want it to feel like just another fly by night indy fad on name recognition alone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gonna build around the three faces of James Golden: Jimmy Golden, Bunkhouse Buck, and Jack Swagger Sr.

Hager dumps Jericho and jumps ship to Global Force, leading to Jericho vs Jarrett. Book it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably questionable timing for wrestling to become unquestionably a TV-mainly product than a "TV selling live shows" product just in time for TV to be surpassed by streaming.

I don't know if something in the Lucha Underground/Wrestle Society X realm would work as a "released all at once" bingewatch product like a lot of streaming series are.. but most of the wrestling show audience might not watch to pro wrestling for 8 hours in a row so it could burn out as quick as all the streaming products that Netflix cancels at the first opportunity.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

3. I would want to be Pride fc to UFC. Any three letter are going to be derivative (and I feel that All Elite Wrestling is used as much as AEW) of other companies. The most recent good names other than AEW are Impact Wrestling (which is frustrating as its such a cool name for a wrestling promotion as opposed to TNA which they used for so long) and Lucha Underground 

Edit. Re-reading the question makes me feel that Lucha Underground would be in the second category so 2 or 3

Edited by zendragon
  • Thanks 1