DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

38 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Is that legitimately him?

If so, I want his idea of becoming an honorary uce to replace Sami to become a reality. 

Definitely not. Sid has never been on twitter and only ever had a webmaster running a facebook page for him at some point. 

Just a fake who has been doing it for 10+ years, super cringe seeing a representation of "Sid" tweeting typical internet fan stuff like "push ziggler" and complaining about Cameron/Ariane back in 2012.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Definitely not. Sid has never been on twitter and only ever had a webmaster running a facebook page for him at some point. 

Just a fake who has been doing it for 10+ years, super cringe seeing a representation of "Sid" tweeting typical internet fan stuff like "push ziggler" and complaining about Cameron/Ariane back in 2012.

I know that nowadays it feels like he's been on TV since he wrestled Dr. Jerry Graham on the Dumont Network, but that was Dolph's time and I stand by it! His team with Big E and AJ is probably one of the last handful of WWE-related things I have fond memories of (along with the Danielson/WMXXX win, that period of excellent Wyatt/Shield/Evolution bouts, and the Festival of Friendship). 

And as an aside: I haven't seen this Twitter Faux-Sid (I've deleted all social media besides reddit, which I pretty much just treat as a modernized Fark), but there is zero chance it's as cringeworthy as 'Fake Buff Bagwell: Outspoken LGBT Advocate.' Like, sir, you're a 60 year old man from Georgia; I try not to judge a book by its cover, but we know the score here.

• Like 4

I'm stealing this from Reddit because fuck it, it made me laugh my ass off.

Dax on his first group lunch with Sami Zayn after getting hired at WWE: "Sami was like, 'You know who really surprised me that they got hired? Everyone's like, 'Who?', and he looked right at me and said, 'You. I'm really surprised you got hired', and I was like, he doesn't have a fucking filter."

I love Sami so much. The rest of the thread on Reddit is a bunch of Sami stories with Sami going full Larry David in most aspects of life. I'm also happy Sami has been wrestling in this era and not during the 80s or something. I could see him getting knifed or horribly ribbed back then.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Been watching the start of WCW Saturday Night from around early 1992.

The K Allen Frey era shits all over the Bill Watts one from a great height, and yet such a discrepancy in praise.

Probably cause that era kinda bleeds into the Watts era, and you have the hangover from the Herd era.

I've picked up from like mid 93 to now watching early 1994 WCW SN, it's been kinda up and down in terms of quality. The format is solid, but it's weird seeing jobbers get a SHITLOAD of offense. Like Steve Austin is there with both Pez Whatley and this past week that I just watched (1/29/1994) against Brady Boone in perhaps the most jobberiffic gear ever, and he's in there giving them offense. And it's terrible. Pez, I kinda get cause he had been relegated to being a jobber for years by that point. He fucked up basically everything in the match with Austin. Brady wasn't bad until the end BUT he fucked up his spots so bad that the fans at Center Stage were laughing at him. I believe Austin sent him into the turnbuckle and Brady was suppose to do the luchadore run up the ropes, turn, and do a sunset flip. That was the idea. I think. Brady got up the ropes, turned, and almost did a header into the mat. Poor Schiavone couldn't even cover it up. This was Heenan's first week in WCW (he debut on the Clash the Thursday prior to this show). I'm surprised he didn't bury him. The fans are fucking booing and laughing. To make it even worse, he fucks the finish as well. Pez messed it up as well months back against Austin, but I think poor Brady Boone was already kinda thrown off by the prior horrendous botch. Austin throws Boone into the ropes, and either Boone forgets the spot (dunno how you forget the fucking finish but w/e) or Austin said fuck it after the fucked up sunset flip and went right to the finish to get this fucker out of here. Boone runs into Austin and almost shoulder blocks Austin, and they have to repeat the ENTIRE process so Austin can hit the Stun Gun. Just an outright disaster.

There is some good, but there is a lot of unevenness. Nasty Boys vs. Scorpio/Bagwell has main evented 5 out of the last 7 Saturday Nights it feels like for the same finish (Knobbs or Saggs use a boot to get the win). The Wrestling II/Magnum T.A. storyline/turn thing with Simmons and Ice Train won't fucking come to an end. The newly formed Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne team is great, but they haven't been utilized much. Booker T (still Kole or Kane from Harlem Heat depending on the week) just did his first Spinaroonie (which popped the crowd and Heenan fwiw) in a six man and then Sting just clotheslined him out of his boots right afterwards in the spot of the week.

They make the switch from the faux SNL opening to the WCW Saturday Night Terminator opening we all remember around late November/early December 1993, and the show kinda feels lesser even almost two years away from Nitro beginning.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Probably cause that era kinda bleeds into the Watts era, and you have the hangover from the Herd era.

I think there's some noticeable differences once the Dangerous Alliance is no longer the key player in everything, and its guys just kinda wander aimlessly around, especially without the Steiners around to provide some sick multi-mans. The light heavyweight division obviously goes kaput once Watts comes in, after spending decent time building up Armstrong, Pillman, Levy, Liger as important. For Watts' supposed hard-on for real athletics/sports contests, the emphasis on the top 10 diminishes. I can go either way on the US Tag Titles going kaput, but the Freebirds are a pretty fun TV team.  Even just the move away from Frey being such a pivotal on-screen guy I think takes away from Steamboat a bit. 

A lot of the programs tend to reach their natural conclusion to some degree, but the inconsistent booking of Vader around this time is annoying and a stark contrast to the initial Sting program.