DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

The cruiserweight division was promoted as seriously as a heart attack until about 1998. It was those guy’s belt and they wanted that belt, not other belts. That’s 1 reason the segregation type stuff worked. Then when it ended the luchadores became jobbers and the others became midcarders while the actual title was just kind of there for whatever midcarders weren’t on vacation with the TV or US Title. So at the time Jericho was right about what he said yes even though it wasn’t always that way. 

Also Rey Mysterio was so great. He was so great that he became an exception to all of this stuff. They just couldn’t ignore him. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

This is the pro wrestling training equivalent of one of those lofi music to relax to videos.

I tend to check out some lofi when work gets insanely busy.  But toss in training footage like this and it makes it all the more better.  Now if only I can get my body to do at least half of these things without it wanting to shut down on me.

https://twitter.com/WrestleClips/status/1619007463654834177

15 years ago brought the best surprise entrant in the history of the Royal Rumble match as John Cena returned from a pectoral tear after 3 months. A genuine shock. The MSG crowd even cheered for Cena till resuming normal service in booing him. I miss that entrance way.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Question: how well know is the Hart family in Canada these days.  Would the average person who doesn’t follow wrestling know who the Harts are?  Or care?  It’s been a few decades now since Stampede was much of a thing or since Bret and Owen were active and on tv.  I’m thinking that, by this point, the Harts are a lot less famous than fairly unknown pro athletes, but I don’t know.

Reason I am wondering is that I watched Dangerous Breed - Peacock’s Teddy Hart documentary - and basically cackled when the filmmaker talked about being sure a reality series about an Indy pro wrestler who breeds showcats would be the next big thing.  I’m sure even more unlikely people have become reality tv stars, but it seems farfetched to think Teddy Hart would generate that much interest.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

I don’t know man. What would you have thought if someone 20 years ago told you that former-OJ attorney Robert Kardashian’s kids would get a reality show and become world-famous incredibly recognizable stars?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Question: how well know is the Hart family in Canada these days.  Would the average person who doesn’t follow wrestling know who the Harts are?  Or care?  It’s been a few decades now since Stampede was much of a thing or since Bret and Owen were active and on tv.  I’m thinking that, by this point, the Harts are a lot less famous than fairly unknown pro athletes, but I don’t know.

Reason I am wondering is that I watched Dangerous Breed - Peacock’s Teddy Hart documentary - and basically cackled when the filmmaker talked about being sure a reality series about an Indy pro wrestler who breeds showcats would be the next big thing.  I’m sure even more unlikely people have become reality tv stars, but it seems farfetched to think Teddy Hart would generate that much interest.

Isn't there still some law in Canada that they have to broadcast a certain percentage of homegrown content? Maybe his logic was that he could sell it in both Can/US markets and double his potential audience.

The filmmaker was a complete nobody. His film work was a step above school board meetings so it's not so surprising why he was enamored with Teddy. His issue was nobody cares about wrestling stuff outside of the wrestling bubble.

When I was in college I used to go up to Toronto to see bands. One time I was trying to grab a bite before a show and stopped into some Canadian fast food pizza chain. They had a series of Bret Hart themed extra value meals and his picture was all over.  It confirmed everything I ever thought about how big Bret was in Canada. 

Edited by JohnnyJ
  • Like 2

I liked Ric Flair’s apology to Becky Lynch and Seth Rollins. What was even better though was what he added about who the man really is. He was so right. And his backhanded compliment/dig at social media was true to. That was probably the smartest, most mature thing I’ve ever heard him say. That makes RIC FLAIR the man. 

15 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I liked Ric Flair’s apology to Becky Lynch and Seth Rollins. What was even better though was what he added about who the man really is. He was so right. And his backhanded compliment/dig at social media was true to. That was probably the smartest, most mature thing I’ve ever heard him say. That makes RIC FLAIR the man. 

One would like to think perhaps now that we're post-'Last Match' he may have mellowed a bit. Maybe the question's now been answered in his mind to a degree, as to whether or not he could still go if someone would just 'let him' - I'm no psychologist (I've just been playing one here for 17 years) but I'm sure it's a lot easier to let go of being 'The Man' when the door's been closed for you (in this case, by Father Time - perhaps the biggest heel of all). I once heard Mick Foley talk about being almost relieved that the decision to continue working was taken out of his hands - maybe something similar here. I doubt it, cause it's, y'know, Flair, but... maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

One would like to think perhaps now that we're post-'Last Match' he may have mellowed a bit. Maybe the question's now been answered in his mind to a degree, as to whether or not he could still go if someone would just 'let him' - I'm no psychologist (I've just been playing one here for 17 years) but I'm sure it's a lot easier to let go of being 'The Man' when the door's been closed for you (in this case, by Father Time - perhaps the biggest heel of all). I once heard Mick Foley talk about being almost relieved that the decision to continue working was taken out of his hands - maybe something similar here. I doubt it, cause it's, y'know, Flair, but... maybe.

O for sure...it’s something we all will deal with in our life, with the stage we’re on simply adjusted for size. I’ve dealt with it myself and had to let it go the same way. What was also the same way though was that I made a jackass of myself before I finally did let it go well after the door was already closed. When I did though...it was over just like our elders said it would be. It was a relief and the world didn’t end, and our true friends remained our friends because they didn’t care if we weren’t the man anymore because we were still the man to them just like they’re still the man to me. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:37 AM, twiztor said:

While i do love the Hart/Austin WM13 match, and it deserves all of the credit that it gets, i would personally rather watch the HIAC every time.

the dichotomy between the little loudmouth getting his comeuppance from the big evil guy was just amazing. the foreboding feeling of violence that permeates the start of the match was palpable. the action delivered. the violence delivered. and we get the introduction of Kane (low key one of the best new character debuts of all time?) perfect balance all around. 

I was scarred for Shawn going into that match, even though I thought he was going to get what he deserved 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Do you even count Hennig turn as an actual turn? The Horsemen recruiting saga that lasted for a full year made them out to be heels who were kinda faces but not really tweeners. They were suppose to be the badass Horsemen, but they were in fighting for months. Hennig came in and instantly started heeling on a babyface DDP and suppose to be this highly sought after free agent. It just makes the Four Horseman look dumb for Ric going all out to recruit a guy who will go the highest bidder and already sided as a bad guy. Maybe the only explanation is they wanted to go after another bad guy since TECHNICALLY they were suppose to be the bad guys who don't wear white hats.

IMO I think they really didn't have a handle what the Horsemen were suppose to be in the era of the NWO. Once you got past that weird gray area where the Horsemen were united and siding with team WCW, it went down this weird path where Jarrett (who Flair recruited but didn't recruit) was feuding with Mongo, Benoit, and Arn. Mongo is feuding with Jeff. Benoit is feuding with Jeff but also feuding with Mongo cause Mongo's wife is obnoxious and basically slutshaming Woman. It's Days of Our Lives: The Four Horsemen Edition. So adding in Hennig to the mix when Hennig is already basically telling Flair he will only go with who pays him the most is basically just making things worse. 

I don't think Bischoff liked the Horsemen because they weren't his creation (and I know he and Flair didn't like each other), and he also didn't like that they continued to be way over with the fans no matter what dumb angles they got stuck with.

• Like 2

The Purge continues...

Another person gone from WWE, one dude named Matthew Drew, the previous Head of International or Senior VP, International. He was working for WWE since June 2021, after coming from DAZN.

What roles he did while working for WWE are listed on PWInsider.

As odd as the Jarrett Horseman angle was, I really loved it on my rewatch. Debra’s act was so much better this time around, Mongo is great as the sucker loyal husband, and Benoit & Jarrett have incredible in-ring chemistry with one another. Flair, and his David Spade hair was playing second fiddle to it all, but if the segments were dragging ass he would come in clean up to bring in all the runners.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

Debra's snark is incredible. She was really wasted in WWF because she was a legitimately funny heel who you still didn't want to root for even if you laughed. I just remember her being a boilerplate stripperiffic valet after she left WCW. 

Jarrett's first WCW run blows away anything else he did in his career for my taste.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 2

As a WWF kid, I rarely watched WCW. Too many old guys on top and as a 7-9 year old I wouldn’t have appreciated the awesome undercard. Young brand loyalty. Same reason as when Big Show, Jericho, and the Radicalz came over I hated them because they were WCW guys. But the cool lucha masks and movesets on WCW vs NWO: Revenge were the undeniable reason as a kid why WCW wasn’t all bad. Ultimo Dragon and Rey were awesome. La Parka starting with a chair was the coolest. 

My first experience (or at least that I remember) with Muta was a small forum I was a part of and one of my buddies on there had Muta as his favorite wrestler. Seeing all the wild masks of Liger and Sasuke was so fascinating. But Great Muta was such a crazy character. Just this unique entity that can only be described by seeing him. 

History question: Was The Great Muta / Keiji Mutoh the first split personality in wrestling that was treated as different entities but also known as the same? Like the faces of Foley more than just a different gimmick. Or am I splitting hairs too much? 

Friday night in Wilmington....

And they said come and see, and I saw the great beast called the Samoan werewolf and the other great beast named Black Taurus and much meat was slapped!!!

Jacob Fatu retains his title after a top rope frankensteiner, moonsault and a rikishi driver

Board favorite Davey Richards took home lightweight title to the delight of fans who take wrestling seriously

Sinn Bodie and Big Al Hammerstone wrestled a scientific match in which they both attempted to work a body part to a double count out to the delight of not one.

So you got a couple of ass holes named The Border Patrol waving a Think Blue Line Flag around who do you send out THE GATES OF AGONY!!!! TOA and Kaun had the ROH titles with them,  Sorry BP no "operation get the fuck out of here" tonight! (side note one of my favorite wrestling memories has PCW running pretty much the same match a few years ago just with Warbeast instead of GOA, BP ends the prematch promo with "God Bless Donald Trump" which does not go well for him as he ends up hand cuffed to the top rope getting punched with a second set of handcuff by an irate Jacob Fatu who yells "fuck you and fuck trump")

Viva Van and Masha Slamovich must have heard about the HHHH v Queen Emi match and tried to top it by slamming and throwing each other on their respective heads. Big pop for the Tarantula for Viva, I loved Tajri doing the move back in the day!

Chavo Guerrero was the guest of honor talked about how his family wrestled at the Olympic Auditorium back in the in the 70's. Looked stylish in a black leather coat and a cool Ramones style shirt that read Guerrero on it. Opening match the heal started mouthing off to him, so Chavo came down to ring side leading the the heel getting rolled up for the loss. After wards he gets in and hits the three amigos and a frog splash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

• Like 4