DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

Today is Keiji Muto's last match as the Great Muta teaming up with Sting/Darby Allin in Japan for Pro-Wrestling NOAH. Always liked how Muto has two different gimmicks. Bigger still, it's my Sister's birthday. Happy birthday, Laura. Thanks for everything you do, I'm grateful to have you as such a caring, talented, helping Sister to me. Love you xxx. Have yourself a good un!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Shingo had a match with O Khan which was under KOPW Mixed Martial Arts rules.

NOAH had another GHC Martial Art rules match,  Sakuraba vs Hideki Suzuki.

AJPW booked Nosawa and Kendo Kashin vs Onita and Yoshitatsu in a exploding electric current match for next month. It's one of Nosawa's last matches, if Nosawa retires this year with the All Asia tags, then the belts are abolished.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:36 AM, The Natural said:

Today is Keiji Muto's last match as the Great Muta teaming up with Sting/Darby Allin in Japan for Pro-Wrestling NOAH. Always liked how Muto has two different gimmicks. Bigger still, it's my Sister's birthday. Happy birthday, Laura. Thanks for everything you do, I'm grateful to have you as such a caring, talented, helping Sister to me. Love you xxx. Have yourself a good un!

Laura thanks y'all xxx.

Speaking of Paul Ellering - question for y'all.

So my understanding was that when the LOD jumped to the WWF in 1990 - Ellering chose to join them later as he wanted to honour the remainder of his contract with WCW, which was about six months left.

From what I read in an interview he still was on shows up until that time, but I can't find any reference to him post Capitol Combat and him fighting Teddy Long in a boxing match? 

What was he doing on WCW programming in that time? If anything?

I’m so behind on everything. I just learned about Muta’s last match. I wouldn’t have guessed that they would have went all the way back to Sting and Kabuki but it’s cool as heck that they did. I don’t know how the work rate measured up but I wouldn’t doubt that it was 5 stars in the farewell payoff department. 

I wish we could get some kind of shoot or something with Muta and Sting. They wrestled each other in their 1989 feud more than they did Flair, who is the one everybody associates with their beginning. They really never quit feuding kind of like Sting and Flair. Whenever one of them showed up in the other one’s town it was to wrestle him. 

I'm surprised Hunter never tried to get Mutoh in WWE atleast once like Liger. Liger was more of a fit for NXT so it makes sense plus Liger and Regal were friends and was the one who got him booked. Mutoh fit the main roster better but he was way broken down by the time Hunter would have gotten enough clout to get him to work over here 

• Like 2

I think the Saturday Night PPVs (Premium Live Events) are here to stay.. and I actually kinda like the change, not just because I'm on a family zoom call on Sunday nights, but for always having wrestling PPVs on Saturdays (aside from Souled Out/Road Wild/etc) when I've been a fan, I think I like Saturday Nights more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think the Saturday Night PPVs (Premium Live Events) are here to stay.. and I actually kinda like the change, not just because I'm on a family zoom call on Sunday nights, but for always having wrestling PPVs on Saturdays (aside from Souled Out/Road Wild/etc) when I've been a fan, I think I like Saturday Nights more.

it's good because they're now on Sunday my time, it's bad because now there's a 1 day gap between the PPV/PLE and the fallout on RAW

• Like 1

Royal Rumble is a Saturday PPVs so Sunday UK time like UFC PPV always are and sometimes AEW PPV. Easier usually to make up the sleep lost unlike Sunday PPVs which are a Monday over here. Not sure I'll be watching the Royal Rumble. Torn between Vince back, wanting to support the wrestlers, I'm only interested in the two Royal Rumble matches and last year's sucked.

Edited by The Natural

AEW Revolution 2023 is 5th of March but it'll go out at 01:00am UK time on the 6th of March. The 6th of March is my birthday. Happy birthday to me, even better if Bryan Danielson wins the AEW World Championship while knowing he won't.

• AEW Revolution 2021 was on my birthday weekend, 7th March at 1am. The 8th UK time.
  • AEW Revolution 2022 was the 6th March as I went to see The Batman with my Dad/Aje but it went out on the 7th UK time at 1am.
  • AEW Revolution 2023 is the 5th of March but will be on my actual birthday as it'll be the 6th UK time at 1am!
  • The 51st Anniversary of NJPW will be on my birthday UK time. It'll likely be IWGP World Heavyweight Champion (I hate that fucking thing) Kazuchika Okada vs. IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi!
  • AEW Elevation and WWE RAW is the 6th of March USA time, the 7th over here.

Lot of wrestling for my birthday this go round! It's too early in March for WWE PPVs unlike my Sister on the 22nd of January with the WWE Royal Rumble. I've had UFC PPVs either on my actual birthday or my birthday weekend.

Edited by The Natural

Why is it that on Dark Elves, we got two promo videos for Supercard of Honour, but none for Revolution? March is sooner than April!

• Haha 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/steve-austin-vs-brock-lesnar-match-pitched-for-wwe-wrestlemania-39

Conflicting reports. Dave Meltzer says Steve Austin vs. Brock Lesnar while Fightful says Steve Austin vs. Roman Reigns for WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. Hey if Austin/Lesnar happens, we'll get less Suplex City than ever before thank fuck.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/steve-austin-vs-brock-lesnar-match-pitched-for-wwe-wrestlemania-39

Conflicting reports. Dave Meltzer says Steve Austin vs. Brock Lesnar while Fightful says Steve Austin vs. Roman Reigns for WWE WrestleMania XXXIX. Hey if Austin/Lesnar happens, we'll get less Suplex City than ever before thank fuck.

Doesn’t Dave say in that article that Brock vs Austin most likely isn’t happening? Especially at the end when he’s discussing Brock vs Lashley? 

10 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I’m so behind on everything. I just learned about Muta’s last match. I wouldn’t have guessed that they would have went all the way back to Sting and Kabuki but it’s cool as heck that they did. I don’t know how the work rate measured up but I wouldn’t doubt that it was 5 stars in the farewell payoff department. 

I wish we could get some kind of shoot or something with Muta and Sting. They wrestled each other in their 1989 feud more than they did Flair, who is the one everybody associates with their beginning. They really never quit feuding kind of like Sting and Flair. Whenever one of them showed up in the other one’s town it was to wrestle him. 

Did you see this article by our own Phil Schneider?

https://www.theringer.com/2023/1/22/23566293/keiji-muto-great-muta-pro-wrestling-legacy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Hot dang that was great. I liked 3 points that he made the most. Muta was “effortlessly cool.” His moves had an “athletic snap.” That describes Muta’s exclusive way he did moves in a nutshell. There was just something neat about it. And of course Gary Hart in general. He was a part of it that had to be there even if he was never the centerpiece. Without him it probably doesn’t work initially.

What was the deal at Halloween Havoc 89 seriously? Was the fire at the beginning rigged? Dumb question perhaps but if it was rigged it was random and I’ve never heard anybody take credit for the idea. That’s 1 of those ideas that a million people would take credit for over the years it seems like, similar to The Gladiators. Of course if it wasn’t rigged it’s a miracle a bunch of other things didn’t happen. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 4

I'd bet you could trace a TON of North American wrestling fans' interest in Japanese wrestling directly back to seeing Muta for the first time.

Edit: And after making it to the end of Schneider's article, I see he already made that observation.

Edited by Log
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Log said:

I'd bet you could trace a TON of North American wrestling fans' interest in Japanese wrestling directly back to seeing Muta for the first time.

Edit: And after making it to the end of Schneider's article, I see he already made that observation.

Growing up I had a passing interest in wrestling. Then when I saw Muta, followed by Liger, I became instantly hooked. 

• Like 3