DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

FWIW, they work Dark tapings on the reg, I'm sure they'll land somewhere eventually if they continue to improve at this rate.

I swear the headline from that article was something like, "D-Von: My kids are done with AEW, WWE is the place for them".  I wonder if that blew up on him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Probably questionable timing for wrestling to become unquestionably a TV-mainly product than a "TV selling live shows" product just in time for TV to be surpassed by streaming.

I don't know if something in the Lucha Underground/Wrestle Society X realm would work as a "released all at once" bingewatch product like a lot of streaming series are.. but most of the wrestling show audience might not watch to pro wrestling for 8 hours in a row so it could burn out as quick as all the streaming products that Netflix cancels at the first opportunity.

I think television is here to stay just because it's been so ingrained into our society that the only way to replace it is to invent television all over again. However, to your point, I feel what's missing from the wrestling landscape is the same feeling you had in the territory days. It's the feeling that the wrestlers (even though openly everyone knew they were working elsewhere) and those storylines or angles were yours exclusively. I think during the Monday Night Wars especially that the strategy was trying to appeal to everyone, get in front of the most eyeballs as possible, and exploit the amount of disposable income your fanbase has. WWE has made a good fortune off of that and fair enough. Great for them. However, there has to be that counterbalance to both televising and now streaming everything. That's why live events off TV/house shows should be a major priority. If someone can even build to them, even better.

I think we're at that early to mid 1990s stage where people are saying "neither" to the main two wrestling products out there. Instead of exploring the alternatives which kept wrestling alive during the time period, people are just moving on the other forms of entertainment. That's why you have to keep them in the arenas, gymnasiums, or wherever. To be fair, I don't think it's as simple as being the or an alternative. I say that because ECW was suppose to be the palate cleanser for cartoony/over the top WWF and often times badly booked, sometimes highly inept, and bush league WCW. ROH, TNA/Impact Wrestling, and now AEW were suppose to be the palate cleanser/alternative to present day WWE. However, for many people, AEW is simply not their flavor or they just to refuse to watch anything that isn't WWE (even if their so called favorite wrestler or one of their favorites made the jump). People automatically reject the alternative or see it as lesser. It also doesn't help you have 15 different alternatives that are readily available on streaming platforms. You cannot have five different ECWs. If you have five, that means you have none. You have none that can adequately affect the wrestling landscape. You have to make it feel exclusive especially when people are afraid to support the alternative or stubbornly saying, "I want an alternative but not THAT alternative."

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Boydy said:

I would love to see a fued between Jericho Vs Jarrett. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Oh shit yes. Battle for who is the greatest sports entertainer of all time. Give them 30 minutes, 28 of it is just ridiculous hat-on-hat-on-hat entrances, followed by a fuck finish in under two minutes.

• Haha 2

Looking at Cagematch and Jericho and Jarrett only ever worked 1 house show loop in WCW and a 2 minute Nitro match? I would have figured they would have had a match in WWF in 99 but I guess Jarrett was Chyna's set-up guy for Jericho. I would love a short feud post-Starks where Jarrett is constantly out Memphising Jericho's sports entertainment nonsense.

• Like 1

So not even Nitro then. Anyway that Podcast both Jarrett and Jericho expressed that they don't have much interest in working one another and would rather work with younger talent and I also fully support that no matter how much fun TNA vs JAS Anarchy in the Arena would be

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Great ML said:

PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING: MEN IN TIGHTS

36 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm starting the Den of International Combat. Do one show for the heavyweights (BIG DIC) and one for the juniors (SMALL DIC), eventually the fetishists are going to make you some money and you're probably going to expose some predators along the way.

These go hand and hand.

That said...Rhea Ripley's booty shorts: The Match. The Movie. The Wrestling Promotion. $17.99 on PPV. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, zendragon said:

interestingly that Jarrett jumped back to WCW when Jericho jumped to WWF. So I don't think we ever got that one

I thought Jarrett was gone by the time Jericho jumped over but they coexisted from August to October!

Sidenote of missed opportunities: Ken Shamrock left just so shortly before Kurt Angle debuted, we could've gotten that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, porksweats said:

Sidenote of missed opportunities: Ken Shamrock left just so shortly before Kurt Angle debuted, we could've gotten that.

I've added "Ken Shamrock vs Kurt Angle" to the time machine dream match list now

• Like 4

I drove three plus hours yesterday to watch my alma mater Illinois get their asses whooped by my wife’s alma mater Indiana in basketball. So, the pregame starts and Braun Strowman comes out to hype the crowd before starting lineups. He was there promoting a WWE house show in the building next month. They had him doing all the timeout bullshit like the t-shirt cannon and trivia  stuff. I swear he worked harder last night at that game than he has in any match he’s ever had. They were running his ass all over the place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Log said:

I drove three plus hours yesterday to watch my alma mater Illinois get their asses whooped by my wife’s alma mater Indiana in basketball. So, the pregame starts and Braun Strowman comes out to hype the crowd before starting lineups. He was there promoting a WWE house show in the building next month. They had him doing all the timeout bullshit like the t-shirt cannon and trivia  stuff. I swear he worked harder last night at that game than he has in any match he’s ever had. They were running his ass all over the place. 

Did Braun Strowman make train noises?

😉.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

I've added "Ken Shamrock vs Kurt Angle" to the time machine dream match list now

When Tazz showed up at Royal Rumble 2000 as a surprise opponent for Angle, I remember there being some talk that the opponent could be Shamrock instead. Now, I have no idea if it was based on anything other than wishful thinking, but I remember it being there.

I guess this goes in here, but:

I've had this idea for a good while now, but I was thinking that if you still had like a really BIG tag team, physically, they should have their introduction go: "at a total combined weight of a proverbial metric shit-ton" (you could bleeb the s*it if necessary). Then, they could feud with another huge team, who could be heels and get heat by claiming to weigh "a literal shit-ton" which fans would obviously reject, because that's not possible.

Anyway, that's all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I guess this goes in here, but:

I've had this idea for a good while now, but I was thinking that if you still had like a really BIG tag team, physically, they should have their introduction go: "at a total combined weight of a proverbial metric shit-ton" (you could bleeb the s*it if necessary). Then, they could feud with another huge team, who could be heels and get heat by claiming to weigh "a literal shit-ton" which fans would obviously reject, because that's not possible.

Anyway, that's all.

Orange Cassidy and Danhausen are already paired in the same faction and have a sort of variation/play on your weight thing - I think they could get some laughs out of trying to pull off big man power spots on like, your Brian Cages and Bear Countries, while they kinda stand there looking confused

Edit: think like Hurricane Helms going for the double chokeslam on HHH and Steve Austin in the Rumble that year

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

after seeing the clip of Maven eliminating The Undertaker, I realized "hey, Maven kinda looked like Low-Ki" (except Maven is way taller and not an egomaniac like Low-Ki)

so, just imagining a Low-Ki/Undertaker moment where Low-Ki fucks it up for himself by stiff-kicking the Undertaker out of the ring

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

after seeing the clip of Maven eliminating The Undertaker, I realized "hey, Maven kinda looked like Low-Ki" (except Maven is way taller and not an egomaniac like Low-Ki)

so, just imagining a Low-Ki/Undertaker moment where Low-Ki fucks it up for himself by stiff-kicking the Undertaker out of the ring

If you think I wouldn't have been all about that shit around 2001, you don't understand me at all. Taker beating the shit out of Low-Ki, because Low-Ki doesn't realize he's at a 200lb. disadvantage sounds like high quality entertainment to me. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you think I wouldn't have been all about that shit around 2001, you don't understand me at all. Taker beating the shit out of Low-Ki, because Low-Ki doesn't realize he's at a 200lb. disadvantage sounds like high quality entertainment to me. 

the Low-KI being carried away from the ring like a baby photo, only with Kane and Big Show carrying him so that he would stop trying to kick the Undertaker in the legs.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Low-KI being carried away from the ring like a baby photo, only with Kane and Big Show carrying him so that he would stop trying to kick the Undertaker in the legs.

Say what you want about Low-Ki being a mini-egomaniac, but he was legitimately talented and could have been a star if he'd took his work more seriously than he took himself. With that said,  his absolute buy-in on himself is probably what made him as successful as he was.

• Like 4