DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

How would you have turned Ted DiBiase face in the 80s in WWF? Would it have been possible. Rick Rude is the other one I wonder about, but I think I could see him pulling that off easier than Ted.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How would you have turned Ted DiBiase face in the 80s in WWF? Would it have been possible. Rick Rude is the other one I wonder about, but I think I could see him pulling that off easier than Ted.

Without having lose his money? 

stand up to a foreign heel? ‘Even money wouldn’t get me to turn my back on America” 

someone attacks “his family”? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Terry Taylor comes in as a moneyed Greenwich snob (with a SC accent). They start as a team but he steals everything from an overconfident Dibiase, including Virgil and the million-dollar belt. Dibiase ends up on the streets and is befriended by Duggan and realizes the true worth of being a good person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Terry Taylor comes in as a moneyed Greenwich snob (with a SC accent). They start as a team but he steals everything from an overconfident Dibiase, including Virgil and the million-dollar belt. Dibiase ends up on the streets and is befriended by Duggan and realizes the true worth of being a good person.

Does he come in with Alexandra York and her computer?

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

IRS should have been DiBiase's sworn enemy instead of his tag partner. Never made a lick of sense.

Vince originally wanted Mike Rotunda in his Michael Wallstreet gimmick, but like all WCW signees, Vince was ignorant that he couldn't just use WCW's trademarked characters.

Jim Johnston even made an unused theme for Rotunda that ripped off Stewart Copeland's score for the movie Wall Street - he ended up finally using it on the 15th anniversary RAW:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Craig H said:

A Christmas Carol type of angle over a December, it would have totally happened if Vince saw Scrooged!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

i like the ideas here but honestly 80s WWF all it would take is him to come out and save HulK Hogan from someone and then do an interview with Mean Gene about how he’s changed his ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Rude would need a whole gimmick chance because a Babyface Chippendale dancer would be too cartoonish for 80s WWF. The lady's would still love him but he'd have to ditch the hip swivel thing.

JLowe's pretty much right. Look at Taker's first face turn logic. "Even an evil zombie demon wrestler from Hell like me wouldn't hit Miss Elizabeth with a chair! Oh, btw,  forget dominating the WWF, now I just want to waste several years of my career safeguarding the fed from the freakishly tall and morbidly obese, basically anyone who's too big for me to hit my cool finisher on."

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Rude would need a whole gimmick chance because a Babyface Chippendale dancer would be too cartoonish for 80s WWF. The lady's would still love him but he'd have to ditch the hip swivel thing.

He could become a barber. That’s how they turned the other Chippendale heel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Log said:

He could become a barber. That’s how they turned the other Chippendale heel. 

This. Plus, in Mid South before he became Rick Rude, Rick Rood was about as a nondescript a white meat babyface as you can get. All you would have to do is just remove the airbrushed tights.

I think one of my favorite Undertaker face moments was for Survivor Series and no one knows if he's going to join the face team until he opens up his duster and it's an American flag inside of it. Or at least that's how I remember it. Kid me thought that was fucking rad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

How would you have turned Ted DiBiase face in the 80s in WWF? Would it have been possible.

He buys a well-known toy company and hands out free toys to kids at ringside before matches, shouting his new/updated catchphrase, “Everybody’s got a Fisher-Price!”

Edited by Hamhock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

It wouldn't be an issue, but I don't see the point of it in the 80s. Now post Virgil when they didn't have anything to do with Sherri once Macho turned so they paired Sherri and DiBiase, that's when you turn Ted babyface.

The Bushwackers save Teddy from being jumped by The Bolsheviks who are after his money. Teddy becomes an honorary Bushwacker. 

Rick Rude and Randy Savage in a double turn. Rude ends up with Miss Elizabeth. 

Rick Rude finds that Bobby Heenan has hidden his original birth certificate the whole time, and his real name is Nigel Nice.

Upon returning from suspension for insulting the Bossman's mother, you do a heap of vignettes of Nigel Nice making amends by helping the Bossman's mother crossing the street, fixing a leaky tap or bringing the groceries in, and forming a tagteam with the Bossman instead. Of course it's all a long con for Rude to get revenge on the Bossman for getting suspended, by becoming the Bossman's new stepdad.

DiBiase finding out that Sherri has been sneaking around on him and spending his money on Shawn Michaels would have been a fun face turn if they did that rather than the feud he had with Martel, or the really lame one with El Matador.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

He buys a well-known toy company and hands out free toys to kids at ringside before matches, shouting his new/updated catchphrase, “Everybody’s got a Fisher-Price!”

So he's the Oprah of the World Wrestling Federation giving out Cars to the Audience lol

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think one of my favorite Undertaker face moments was for Survivor Series and no one knows if he's going to join the face team until he opens up his duster and it's an American flag inside of it. Or at least that's how I remember it. Kid me thought that was fucking rad.

If I'm not mistaken, the American flag was one with thirteen stars for the original colonies. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Rick Rude finds that Bobby Heenan has hidden his original birth certificate the whole time, and his real name is Nigel Nice.

Upon returning from suspension for insulting the Bossman's mother, you do a heap of vignettes of Nigel Nice making amends by helping the Bossman's mother crossing the street, fixing a leaky tap or bringing the groceries in, and forming a tagteam with the Bossman instead. Of course it's all a long con for Rude to get revenge on the Bossman for getting suspended, by becoming the Bossman's new stepdad.

DiBiase finding out that Sherri has been sneaking around on him and spending his money on Shawn Michaels would have been a fun face turn if they did that rather than the feud he had with Martel, or the really lame one with El Matador.

That DiBiase turn idea isn't a bad one cause I could definitely see a reverse Jimmy Garvin/Sunshine/Precious angle where Sherri convinces DiBiase to take a freshly turned Shawn Michaels under his tutelage. Then, it turns out Sherri is banging Shawn and spending Ted's money on her new boy toy. However, I don't see Shawn IRL being too excited about insinuating he has the hots for Sherri. You can just kill two birds with one stone and have Shawn toss away Sherri for being an old bag and bring in like Madusa to be his female backup to handle crazy ass, heartbroken and scorned Sherri. IIRC I think Madusa was rumored to be paired with Shawn once she left WCW in late 1992 post Dangerous Alliance/feud with Paul E.

• Like 2

I suppose DiBiase could have been Flair's first program upon entering the WWF. Instead of Virgil turning face and training with Piper, he leaves DiBiase for Flair. Vignettes of DiBiase waiting for limos at the airport only to see Flair has taken them and his women. Further the idea that he's not only the real world's champion, but really the richest, most resourceful guy in the fed, the jet flying, kiss stealing, etc etc.

• Like 1