DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

Austin has been jacked for at least the last two to three years now. Before he stopped his podcast, he talked about starting a keto diet with his wife and cutting out beer and he had lost a ton of weight. He had posted images then and he looked ridiculous. This is just an extension of that and looks like he's just pushing himself more and more. Keep in mind, his wife is very big into fitness so he has probably the best partner to keep his shape in line. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on TRT, but that's a personal choice for him.

Still though, I would hope I could like maybe 1/4 that good when I get to that age.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:11 PM, Go2Sleep said:

So FB has been feeding me random MNW era Raw and Nitro matches (like it knows me or something), and I gotta say I really miss the tv sprint style of match. You can easily have a 5-minute match where both guys get a lot of shit in, and the crowd is hot the whole time. You can also fit more people on the show and not have a damn commercial break every match. I watched a random Hall/DDP and Nash/Giant match (had to be one of Wight's last WCW appearances) and both matches were fast-paced in a way you wouldn't think a match with any of those 4 would be, had a concise story that advanced certain characters, and kept the crowd engaged without burning them out. Maybe I'm just that old guy wishing wrestling is like it was when I was a kid, but it would be a welcome change of pace from the "If a match isn't early 2000s ppv quality, it's a squash" style of tv today.

Also, why does no one do falling elbow drops and those quick follow up clotheslines in the corner anymore?

One thing about modern wrestling that I've really gotten tired of is everything seemingly going long for the sake of going long. there's a bit of a lost are to the really good 6-8 minute tv match that fits between to breaks

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

That's part of why Elevation is so great. Generally the name vs name matches are all sub-ten minutes too.

I was thinking a couple weeks ago how Dark and Elevation are like a local indie who gets to bring in some AEW wrestlers for a show, except the matches don't all go 20+ minutes. Some weeks have some pretty decent indie "names". It's cool that those shows seem to be getting some new eyes lately.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Log said:

I was thinking a couple weeks ago how Dark and Elevation are like a local indie who gets to bring in some AEW wrestlers for a show, except the matches don't all go 20+ minutes. Some weeks have some pretty decent indie "names". It's cool that those shows seem to be getting some new eyes lately.

TNA Xplosion was the same way, but other than being "the show where Okada jobbed every week for a year" it's a historic footnote

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

TNA Xplosion was the same way, but other than being "the show where Okada jobbed every week for a year" it's a historic footnote

Xplosion is also very hard to find online, especially the first 4 years or so

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't resist. This is a photo of Power Plant-era Big Dave. 

Hide contents

May be an image of 1 person, beard, biceps and standing

THE HAIR!!!

Thank you but I have already chosen my Sexy Dave avatar for this quarter.  Might I reconsider your submission at the end of the fiscal year?

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Xplosion is also very hard to find online, especially the first 4 years or so

Bryan Turner's VHS Rehab on YouTube has some full shows, and individual matches.

It's not even close to complete, but I love that channel. It's a snapshot of Southern indie wrestling in the early 2000s.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nate said:

Thank you but I have already chosen my Sexy Dave avatar for this quarter.  Might I reconsider your submission at the end of the fiscal year?

I was gonna say Big Sexy Kev would have called gimmick infringement on Big Sexy Dave

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:23 AM, The Natural said:

FmHWL1eWAAEl0CK?format=png&name=small

Fuck off, Disco Inferno.

FmHXUJgXEAQfMvf?format=jpg&name=medium

Thank you, Don Callis.

With how important the promo is in American wrestling you need it if you want to be a Austin, Rock, Flair level star. However Ricky Steamboat, Brett Hart, Rey Mysterio, and Bobby Eaton got to the next level with out being great promo's.  If Our Lovable Lard Lad's ceiling is being Ricky Steamboat (and I feel its a good comparison as both men have/had great in-ring psychical charisma) then that's pretty good

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Reveal hidden contents

THE HAIR!!!

There is an alternate timeline where crazy, sexy Dave Bautista becomes world champion 10 years before he actually did.

While I was skeptical at first, I'm grateful we had this kind of comeback run with Sting. He gelled fairly well with Darby, and the pairing worked out better than I could've anticipated. Thankfully, they seemed to keep his in-ring work limited and he didn't get seriously hurt. From start to finish, it was handled relatively well, especially after how badly his runs in TNA and WWE were handled.

• Like 6

Stings TNA run didn't get bad until Hogan and Bischoff took over.  Honestly if They hadn't took over and he still worked some really decent matches then he probably would have been cool with hanging up his boots then. The Joker Sting was really fun Character work too but that was during the Hogan/Bischoff era where he was booked in terrible matches with terrible finishes. In AEW he's been booked so well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Stings TNA run didn't get bad until Hogan and Bischoff took over.  Honestly if They hadn't took over and he still worked some really decent matches then he probably would have been cool with hanging up his boots then. The Joker Sting was really fun Character work too but that was during the Hogan/Bischoff era where he was booked in terrible matches with terrible finishes. In AEW he's been booked so well.

The problem with Joker Sting was that when the bell rang, he was just the same old Sting - none of the new character-work he did in promos carried over to his matches

I know it's rare nowadays. Like when Perry Mason would pop on in a made for t.v. movie in the 90s every so often and he hadn't been around for so long but you watched and ate popcorn and it felt good.  It's just like that when threads align and Big Dave does something cool and someone posts Big Dave doing something cool and so it's time...

FOR BATISTA FASHION WATCH

On 1/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Reveal hidden contents

THE HAIR!!!

Spoiler

Gerard Way during his brief Zakk Wylde phase when he worked at GNC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1