DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

My BJJ coach has this story about the time he was stealing apples from an orchard attended to by these gigantic Samoans.  They gently told him to drop the apples and he told them to fuck off.  They started chasing him and not only were they faster than him despite weighing 400+ pounds each they had better stamina and when he had to stop to catch his breath they caught him and beat him with some bamboo reeds or something for making them chase him.  Then they brought him back to the orchard, put him to work and they all drank beers afterwards. 

He never fucked with a Samoan after that, though. 

I worked with a guy who was Samoan and and 200lbs I was like "your the small one in the family right"

Love the story about Afa and Sika getting into the business because Roy Shire needed to smarten them up to protect the wrestlers from them

May be an image of 8 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 8 people and people standing

• Like 6

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

I worked with a guy who was Samoan and and 200lbs I was like "your the small one in the family right"

Love the story about Afa and Sika getting into the business because Roy Shire needed to smarten them up to protect the wrestlers from them

May be an image of 8 people, people standing and indoor

May be an image of 8 people and people standing

I thought Cool Hand Ang was Punk for a second when I looked at the first photo.

• Like 1

So FB has been feeding me random MNW era Raw and Nitro matches (like it knows me or something), and I gotta say I really miss the tv sprint style of match. You can easily have a 5-minute match where both guys get a lot of shit in, and the crowd is hot the whole time. You can also fit more people on the show and not have a damn commercial break every match. I watched a random Hall/DDP and Nash/Giant match (had to be one of Wight's last WCW appearances) and both matches were fast-paced in a way you wouldn't think a match with any of those 4 would be, had a concise story that advanced certain characters, and kept the crowd engaged without burning them out. Maybe I'm just that old guy wishing wrestling is like it was when I was a kid, but it would be a welcome change of pace from the "If a match isn't early 2000s ppv quality, it's a squash" style of tv today.

Also, why does no one do falling elbow drops and those quick follow up clotheslines in the corner anymore?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So FB has been feeding me random MNW era Raw and Nitro matches (like it knows me or something), and I gotta say I really miss the tv sprint style of match. You can easily have a 5-minute match where both guys get a lot of shit in, and the crowd is hot the whole time. You can also fit more people on the show and not have a damn commercial break every match. I watched a random Hall/DDP and Nash/Giant match (had to be one of Wight's last WCW appearances) and both matches were fast-paced in a way you wouldn't think a match with any of those 4 would be, had a concise story that advanced certain characters, and kept the crowd engaged without burning them out. Maybe I'm just that old guy wishing wrestling is like it was when I was a kid, but it would be a welcome change of pace from the "If a match isn't early 2000s ppv quality, it's a squash" style of tv today.

Also, why does no one do falling elbow drops and those quick follow up clotheslines in the corner anymore?

There was an episode of Dynamite a little while back that had a 15-20 minute opener and main event but then a series of shorter matches/segments in between, and I thought that was optimal 2020’s TV wrestling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Alternating between match time formats week to week would be a nice change of pace. I think where it would work well is say you get Will Hobbs Vs. a lesser guy(but talented) like Isaiah Kassidy in a five minute back-and-forth sprint to show people how good they can run crazy spots.

But on the negative side you have bad RAW matches. Somehow they’d have way more duds than they should. I guess blame the shitty New York style.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EVA said:

There was an episode of Dynamite a little while back that had a 15-20 minute opener and main event but then a series of shorter matches/segments in between, and I thought that was optimal 2020’s TV wrestling.

Hard agree. I'd actually even maybe go a step further and argue it's the ideal pacing for writing TV in general (start hot, cool off, build to crescendo). Even a lot of shoot sports fall into that pattern just by happenstance.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Those scores are exactly what you'd expect considering the people on the show. Reminiscent of this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/files/2016/05/Untitled2.jpg

EDIT: This board is KILLING ME. Anyway, Disco = Wolf Blitzer. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Do you read @SirSmellingtonofCascadia's Monday Nitro rewatch writeups in the WWE folder? Good stuff and he mentions this a lot.

• Like 1

so i mentioned in the December thread that 2003 TNA has been just dogshit awful. 

so i wanted to come back and mention that the show has dramatically improved. that is mostly because Vince Russo is no longer on TV. i know he's still involved behind the scenes, and S.E.X. is still way overplayed, but Disco Inferno is way more palatable than Russo (and good lord, think about the ground THAT covers!)

the show definitely still has a lot of problems (too much Jarrett, lots of misogyny, guys popping in and out constantly) but the storylines feel a bit tighter and i'm just overall enjoying it more. still FAR from great, and maybe i've just gotten better at  'tuning out' the stuff i don't care about, but i wanted to give TNA the credit it's due.

• Like 6

Just putting it there...

Titan Sports, Inc.was founded on February 1980, now World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.  About 40 years ago was the purchase of Capitol Wrestling Corporation Ltd. by Titan Sports, Inc on June 1982. Capitol Wrestling Corporation Ltd. became defunct in 1982;  40 years ago.