DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

I saw on the CAC Facebook page about the passing of Black women's pioneer Titi Paris recently. She participated in the first official match in decades in New York in 1972 against Cora Combs, which preceded the first match back at MSG between Moolah and Vicki Williams the same year. The latter often gets credit for being the first in the state after the ban against women's wrestling was lifted. Here's an excerpt from the book I'm working on...

"The Commission finally lifted the state’s ban on March 7, 1972, with Jackie Robinson as a member, prior to his death in October. On March 8, the first women’s match took place in the state, from Gil Glancy’s Telstar boxing gym, between Cora Combs and Paris. Oddly enough, this marked the only time either woman wrestled in New York. The state’s promoter, Vincent James McMahon, insisted that the women go through the Fabulous Moolah for booking and neither agreed. Moolah was the main promoter for McMahon’s women’s division, at the time. The first women’s match at New York’s Madison Square Garden occurred on July 1, 1972 with Moolah taking on Vicki Williams. Moolah and McMahon recognized this as the first women’s match in New York’s history. Betty Nicoli also wrote to New York lawmakers, similar to Titi, and was eventually blocked from performing in the state as well. Alongside Nicoli, Titi Paris changed the social and cultural landscape of wrestling in New York, and other areas across the world. New York’s decision to lift the ban created a ripple effect worldwide, with various locations following suit. The actions of Paris and Nicoli destroyed many barriers for future generations of female performers going forward."

Most of this is from the June 29, 2015 Observer. Her family obit is here https://mccombwagner.com/tribute/det...IGEjv2jock3x6A

Upon looking at the obit now, it seems she passed last February. I'm not sure why CAC just posted this today.

Edited by notoriusvig
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 tickets remain for Kairi vs Mercedes’ in San Jose. The remaining floor seats are those cray priced platinum seats. People may not bite on those until they come down in price. But otherwise this will be sold out over a month in advance. Should have an awesome atmosphere. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So, this guy (who in 2019 was nearly clubbed to death by Jake Fatu ) decided to line step again:

Seriously looked like Garcia was thinking "wonder how much it would cost to just kick him in the face." 

There's always one. I remember a Minoru Suzuki entrance when someone slapped Suzuki's shoulder and Minoru gave him a death stare. Of all the people you'd do that to.

• Like 1

Just now, Raziel said:

I know that particular dude is a shithead and an issue...

But Garcia isn't exactly in the right on that.  He wasn't touched.

My thought was that Garcia has had run ins with him before.

I mean, yeah, but still.  

I would put part of that on PWG because why the fuck do you not have barriers and let people *that* close to the ring.  

First dude that got kicked was in his seat and yeah, cool with it, but Garcia laid hands first (unless it was a plant or planned).

Second dude is a known issue and probably shouldn't be allowed in teh building, but fuck, you can't actually do that.

• Like 1

That dude went past the guardrail to get at Fatu. Anyone who would willingly piss off a Samoan like that can't be too bright.

If I had even inadvertently pissed off a Samoan, I would spend the rest of my days being extra-polite to anyone I encountered.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, that's on PWG.  You cross the guardrail, it's fucking on.  Can't cross a guardrail if there isn't one there to begin wiht.

The Fatu clip appears to be from somewhere else. Whatever that promotion was, they had guardrails.

I have a feeling (only that, a feeling) that the wrestlers were aware of this guy and tired of his shit. Plenty of fans were booing/taunting/whatever Garcia there and he went for that guy.

I mean, you're not wrong that guardrails are a good idea, but that dude clearly is a problem.

8 minutes ago, Log said:

That dude went past the guardrail to get at Fatu. Anyone who would willingly piss off a Samoan like that can't be too bright.

If I had even inadvertently pissed off a Samoan, I would spend the rest of my days being extra-polite to anyone I encountered.

My BJJ coach has this story about the time he was stealing apples from an orchard attended to by these gigantic Samoans.  They gently told him to drop the apples and he told them to fuck off.  They started chasing him and not only were they faster than him despite weighing 400+ pounds each they had better stamina and when he had to stop to catch his breath they caught him and beat him with some bamboo reeds or something for making them chase him.  Then they brought him back to the orchard, put him to work and they all drank beers afterwards. 

He never fucked with a Samoan after that, though. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Just thinking how that string did nit keep that one cowboy safe from Terry Gordy.

I've said the wrong shit to the wrong people before and get my ass kicked, but even on my worst day, I would never talk shit to anyone who looked like Terry Gordy or Jacob Fatu.

• Like 7

See, I didn't say String to keep anyone safe.  I said string to define barrier where if a fan crossed it, a worker could light his ass up.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not really on Garcia, dude has it coming.  I'm more on PWG for not giving Garcia that layer of, shall we say, legality for tuning the dude up.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Log said:

The Fatu clip appears to be from somewhere else. Whatever that promotion was, they had guardrails.

I have a feeling (only that, a feeling) that the wrestlers were aware of this guy and tired of his shit. Plenty of fans were booing/taunting/whatever Garcia there and he went for that guy.

I mean, you're not wrong that guardrails are a good idea, but that dude clearly is a problem.

I believe that clip is from Ultra Pro.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dog said:

Can someone explain to me why the JAS showing up in PWG is supposed to be some sort of disaster? Was the show any good? 

It's the same as Lawler in ECW or Jarrett in AEW, that's the "disaster" of it.

1 hour ago, Log said:

The Fatu Clip is PCW Ultra the most high rent SoCal Indy. And pretty much the only indy that does use guard rails (Some like in the Garcia clip allow fans so close that they can pound on the apron during the match) I don't personally know this guy but I've seen him at plenty of shows his "gimmick" or "bit" is yelling "fuck you" in a wrestlers face and giving him the bird. Not sure if DG has encountered him before as I don't know how much he's wrestled in Socal