DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

49 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It is, it's likely what seemed to have happened last night, it's what the Heart Punch was pushing for.    It's called Commito Cordis.  It's happened several times, mostly with baseballs or hockey pucks (It's what happened to Pronger several years ago).  

I knew a girl in college who this happened to. She was playing first base on her high school softball team, was struck in the chest by a line drive and had to be resuscitated and flown to a hospital by helicopter.

• Sad 2

There isn't a 2023 Wrestling Podcast thread, so I'm going to put this here.

I know we all have varying opinions on Jim Cornette...I'm definitely not a fan of some of the things he has said in the past and ignore his views on the current day product...but as a fan of pro wrestling history, his Guess The Program Omnibus was such a fun, educational listen. I could listen to him talk for days about old school pro wrestling and his experiences. I wish he would stick to that lol.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

There isn't a 2023 Wrestling Podcast thread, so I'm going to put this here.

I know we all have varying opinions on Jim Cornette...I'm definitely not a fan of some of the things he has said in the past and ignore his views on the current day product...but as a fan of pro wrestling history, his Guess The Program Omnibus was such a fun, educational listen. I could listen to him talk for days about old school pro wrestling and his experiences. I wish he would stick to that lol.

I'd suggest skipping the modern segments and just listening to the history parts. I couldn't tell you when I listened to an entire show. Between avoiding the modern wresting, politics, and the live reads, I prob listen to maybe 25-33% of the average episode. 

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

I'd suggest skipping the modern segments and just listening to the history parts. I couldn't tell you when I listened to an entire show. Between avoiding the modern wresting, politics, and the live reads, I prob listen to maybe 25-33% of the average episode. 

That's exactly what I do. Totally skip over the modern stuff and anything else I find uninteresting. He's such a great source of wrestling history knowledge, given his early fandom, the meticulous notes he took during his career and his sharp memory.

I established in my head that "CORNETTE" is his aggrieved yelling-at-cloud persona, divorced from the actual wrestlng historian. Maybe I shouldn't assume people can read my innermost thoughts through the internet tubes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

I established in my head that "CORNETTE" is his aggrieved yelling-at-cloud persona, divorced from the actual wrestlng historian. Maybe I shouldn't assume people can read my innermost thoughts through the internet tubes. 

I thought you applying the Garfield without Garfield gag but to JC. 

Imagine my surprise about a year and a half ago when I found out Brian Last had brought up ME to Cornette on the podcast, claiming that Tony Khan's promos were very "Krone Meltzer" esque. I didn't know whether to be honored that I had a Hall of Famer bringing up something I did 16 years ago or ashamed that out of every podcast it could've been, it was Cornettes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Imagine my surprise about a year and a half ago when I found out Brian Last had brought up ME to Cornette on the podcast, claiming that Tony Khan's promos were very "Krone Meltzer" esque. I didn't know whether to be honored that I had a Hall of Famer bringing up something I did 16 years ago or ashamed that out of every podcast it could've been, it was Cornettes.

Tony Khan has never ever dropped a line as good as, "if I wanted any lip out of you I'd rattle my zipper."

Seriously though, Brian referenced you? What's next? "So Jim, it seems Dave in the latest WON is showing his usual Kent Jones-esque lack of objectivity towards the WWE"...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Tony Khan has never ever dropped a line as good as, "if I wanted any lip out of you I'd rattle my zipper."

Seriously though, Brian referenced you? What's next? "So Jim, it seems Dave in the latest WON is showing his usual Kent Jones-esque lack of objectivity towards the WWE"...

Episode 375: It's Potpourri Today (Jim Cornette Experience)
52:27
Apparently, Tony Khan is "Krone Meltzer on coke". Then proceeds to play the first video I put out for Cornette which gets a reaction and some words from him.

I don't even listen to Cornette. It was one of my buddies who messaged me and was like "did you know that Cornette and Brian Last mentioned you and played your youtube shoot on the podcast"? I was bewildered.

Edited by Krone Meltzer

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

It is, it's likely what seemed to have happened last night, it's what the Heart Punch was pushing for.    It's called Commito Cordis.  It's happened several times, mostly with baseballs or hockey pucks (It's what happened to Pronger several years ago).  

This is often the case in car accidents. Basically a hard enough blow in the chest CAN stop your heart. (It's also the idea behind Dim Mak or the death touch in martial arts although that devolved into urban legend silliness)

RE: Cornett, If you've seen my posts in the wrestling book thread you know I love wrestling history, so I just wait for his historical segments to show up on to show up on youtube. Can't stomach the rest

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought you applying the Garfield without Garfield gag but to JC. 

I was ... with a twist. You see, Cornette's anti-AEW persona was the John in this case and ... you know what, I'm just gonna shut up and take the L on this one. 

Edited by Dog

16 hours ago, Dog said:

I was ... with a twist. You see, Cornette's anti-AEW persona was the John in this case and ... you know what, I'm just gonna shut up and take the L on this one. 

It could be worse dog. At least you didn't make a Kent Jones joke in 2023...

2 hours ago, Log said:

For real, what the hell is a Thong Match?

Disappointingly, it’s just a Leather Strap match, under turnbuckle slapping rules. 

The McMahon family’s habit of pointlessly renaming things started way earlier than we realised.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2