DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

no January pics/gifs thread yet so I'll post this here

was listening to an old ep of BTS (1992) and they were talking about Marty Jannetty getting busted with a 19 yr old carrying a fake ID at a place called the 'Yucatan Liquor Stand' in Tampa, which somehow then led to both of them getting busted for cocaine possession.  I had to google this place so of course I found this:

d4fe27f11ba668883ba92c820739cde8.jpg

Long Necks 4 for 7.  Same as it ever was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Colt was NWA champ so you can make it a 4 way match 

DDP in there somewhere also?

I'd like to be in the room for Coach Tony K trying to sell Goldberg on the idea of squashing MJF in under a minute to become the greatest Jewish heavyweight champion of all time, only for MJF to come out the night after and claim that a reporter from the Baltimore Jewish News went to interview Goldberg in the showers after the match and found out the hard way that he wasn't really a Jewish heavyweight champion.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Miro re-debuting by murdering Goldberg would be a choice

I completely unironically think this is a great idea.

Hype it for a month or two so you can squeeze every drop out of Goldberg merch-wise, put him in the video game, pump his action figure out to Target etc. then finish it off with a one-sided redux of the second Brock WM match, with Miro standing tall. I find it hard to believe Miro would reject such booking, either, so it'd be a positive for TK on the management/chess front - give Miro the big win here, and he might be a little more flexible on certain creative moving forward, too. 'Look, man, I put you over Bill Goldberg on PPV in 3 minutes - you owe me one.'

The only question is whether Goldberg is still capable of something like that - that WM is going back at least 6 or 7 years now, and I recall reading he almost killed Undertaker on one of those Saudi blood money shows. So I don't know that I'm letting him get a whole shit ton of offense in that sees Miro leave his feet. 

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I completely unironically think this is a great idea.

Hype it for a month or two so you can squeeze every drop out of Goldberg merch-wise, put him in the video game, pump his action figure out to Target etc. then finish it off with a one-sided redux of the second Brock WM match, with Miro standing tall. I find it hard to believe Miro would reject such booking, either, so it'd be a positive for TK on the management/chess front - give Miro the big win here, and he might be a little more flexible on certain creative moving forward, too. 'Look, man, I put you over Bill Goldberg on PPV in 3 minutes - you owe me one.'

The only question is whether Goldberg is still capable of something like that - that WM is going back at least 6 or 7 years now, and I recall reading he almost killed Undertaker on one of those Saudi blood money shows. So I don't know that I'm letting him get a whole shit ton of offense in that sees Miro leave his feet. 

Agreeing to lose in 30 seconds to a squash by Miro? Nope.

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I know it's going to be a while before we start modifying DNA to make the perfect wrestler, but I think we should go ahead and take a spit sample from Nakamura so we can get the highest level of pageantry.  He has to be #1 all time for dude's who just plain understand how to make an epic entrance.

"Whom would you collect DNA from to make your Wrestling Serpentor" sounds like an interesting topic, though in practice I'm not sure the answers would differ meaningfully from "Who's on your Wrestling Mount Rushmore" and similar questions we've fielded in the past.

20 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

"Whom would you collect DNA from to make your Wrestling Serpentor" sounds like an interesting topic, though in practice I'm not sure the answers would differ meaningfully from "Who's on your Wrestling Mount Rushmore" and similar questions we've fielded in the past.

It might differ. DNA doesn't necessarily lead to success or even greatness.  So who are the guys with the best DNA who didn't make it for one reason or another? And I don't necessarily mean lineage but just who seemed to be born with the best pure physical talent for the sport but couldn't break through to where they should have been.

Curt Hennig might be someone to draw blood from.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Since I never got to do a Wrestling Mount Rushmore, mines would be Wendell Cooley, Shoji Nakamaki, Rufus R. Jones, and Rick Fuller.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red King said:

Kota Ibushi's contract expires next month then he is free.

He hasn't wrestled since Oct 2021.

Anybody hinting that they're signing him? Anybody letting Madoka pin guys on their YouTube show or something like that? Keep me posted.

The big story of the day does explain a little bit about how people could buy into the claim that Ox Baker’s heart punch could cause fatal heart attacks. Okay, Jerry Lawler’s heart attack after having a match on Raw probably should have explained that 10 years ago too.

Apologies for taste/timing here.

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The big story of the day does explain a little bit about how people could buy into the claim that Ox Baker’s heart punch could cause fatal heart attacks. Okay, Jerry Lawler’s heart attack after having a match on Raw probably should have explained that 10 years ago too.

Apologies for taste/timing here.

There was an episode of ER, I believe, where a young athlete was injured because he was hit over his heart "between beats," IIRC. Embarrassingly, I don't know if that's actually medically a true thing or not. I assumed not, but also, I was (and still am), a somewhat-gullible hypochondriac. 

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Sgt. Slaughter is an obvious choice. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

There was an episode of ER, I believe, where a young athlete was injured because he was hit over his heart "between beats," IIRC. Embarrassingly, I don't know if that's actually medically a true thing or not. I assumed not, but also, I was (and still am), a somewhat-gullible hypochondriac. 

It is, it's likely what seemed to have happened last night, it's what the Heart Punch was pushing for.    It's called Commito Cordis.  It's happened several times, mostly with baseballs or hockey pucks (It's what happened to Pronger several years ago).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1