DVDVR Message Board

January 2023 Pro Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

There was a more specific-ish wrestling mention in the Jeff Pearlman Bo Jackson book:

Bo Jackson's first professional home run with the Memphis Chicks came in Charlotte against the Charlotte Orioles.

Before the game, the Orioles had hosted a celebrity softball exhibition featuring stars of the local National Wrestling Alliance, and the building was unusually raucous.

The book also mentioned that Crockett Park, home of the Charlotte Orioles, burned down in March 1985 and they had to build a makeshift ballpark in the meantime.

Wonder how one of the family businesses experiencing a ballpark fire impacted things for all the businesses in the JCP realm.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IIRC, at least in WWF's eyes, wasn't Severn one of those "I won't job cause it might fuck up my money in Japan" guys? I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember hearing that on either Grilling JR or Something to Wrestle.

Either way, it felt like once WWF starting to get towards the more edgier content and a hundred miles an hours in terms of crash TV, there was a contradiction of wrestling philosophy that made guys that would be stars or at least goods in the territory like Severn, Dr. Death, Furnas & Lafon, and a few others obsolete in that environment. I mean for example, they let Furnas & Lafon get that showcase at Survivor Series 1996, then they had a little program with Owen & Davey Boy where they do a Dusty finish with tag belts, and then months later they get buried for having no charisma. And I don't mean it's slighty inferred with the last part. They got buried on commentary for having no charisma. Even if that's the case, why would you point out the elephant in the room with two guys who really work? Just cause you're edgy and it shows attitude? How can you do that and then wonder, "shit, why didn't these guys get over?"

Severn and Furnas & Lafon wouldn’t have gotten over in the territory days, all three were black holes of charisma, they didn’t even have Brad Armstrong level of charisma. 

14 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Severn and Furnas & Lafon wouldn’t have gotten over in the territory days, all three were black holes of charisma, they didn’t even have Brad Armstrong level of charisma. 

I think that's simplifying it too much especially when guys like Bobby Eaton, Don Kernodle, Johnny Weaver, and Steve Keirn just to name a few all managed to have pretty damn good runs.

Man, there was a Steve Keirn interview I just saw this past weekend from I wanna say Memphis in 1982 where he is just terrible to the point where he had to turn his back to the camera. I dunno if he just got frazzled or lost his place, but it was brutal. 

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Brad Armstrong is another great example of a banger production music theme btw

Well unless I am forgetting something, I believe the Armstrongs (Scott & Steve) also shared the same theme which was an omen I guess.

Going back to what someone brought up I believe last month when Road Dogg said something stupid, I am more of the opinion that Bullet Bob hurt his sons chances in the business more than their lack of charisma. I was watching the 1/1/1994 SMW TV episode which was just a best of 1993 (hosted by Tammy Sytch and poor Jim Cornette who probably forgot to tape a TV episode for that week and has to be partly out of character to get through it), and there was bit where Bullet Bob is training the RnR Express and his sons Scott & Steve in the "jungles of South America". The amount of goofiness involved....just a career killer. If Cornette saw that on AEW or WWE TV today, he would rip that shit to shreds. Scott Armstrong jumping out from behind a tree with what looks more like blackface than warpaint and probably yelling "hiyahhh" or whatever guttural sound he conjured up is something everyone needs to behold. You could hear the sound of his career ending.

Okay, found it. Timestamped and everything (originally from the 8/7/93 episode)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If you think about though, who else under that age would come out to Voodoo Chile? Nash was either 39 or 40 around that time and based on his musical taste from his podcast (Sean Oliver and Nash spend a fair amount talking non wrestling stuff btw), he wasn't coming out to Voodoo Chile even though he was in college in the late 1970s. 

Funny that this actually happened by accident last year due to an indy being clueless. Nash gets the mic and goes "You know what, that's not my music, that's Hogan's music, but I always thought how sweet it would be to come out to Voodoo Child, it's a little late for that", then when he left, they played the regular Rockhouse nWo theme instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC-CGJxUEU (can't embed today due to unexpected fuckoff error)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

i think i remember a shoot interview with X-Pac where he said he requested that song. They tried to talk him out of it, but he doubled down. i don't even hate that song, but it was a terrible choice for entrance music.

True, he said Shane came to him and said they were going to have the Red Hot Chili Peppers do his theme, but just to be contrarian he said no I want Uncle Kracker.

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Wasn't he going to be apart of the Ministry as the Beast? I wasn't a fan of that group but atleast they would have reintroduced him under a different character. Just let him take out folks like early on in his run

Dan said they wanted him to have "666" across his forehead as the Mark of the Beast but he refused.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Lafon played one hell of a heel prick in All Japan. Weird that he goes to the promotion known for stoic guys and really lets loose. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Wasn't Rockhouse (the nWo theme) from an adult film?

Nah, it was a Tuner in-house creation IIRC. They basically took a bunch of Hendrix riffs and put them into one song. The main part of the theme is a riff from "The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice" and there are elements of Highway Child and Stone Free there as well.

I know it's going to be a while before we start modifying DNA to make the perfect wrestler, but I think we should go ahead and take a spit sample from Nakamura so we can get the highest level of pageantry.  He has to be #1 all time for dude's who just plain understand how to make an epic entrance.

• Like 1

Between this new Acclaimed/Jarrett stuff and the Usos/New Day "rap battle" a couple years ago, bringing up workers' private lives doesn't make anyone in the situation look good, especially the third parties not actually part of the angle. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Nah, it was a Tuner in-house creation IIRC. They basically took a bunch of Hendrix riffs and put them into one song. The main part of the theme is a riff from "The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice" and there are elements of Highway Child and Stone Free there as well.

Now that you mention it I do hear a little "Hey Joe" in there too. Half of the opening riff of "Hey Joe" repeats a few times

4 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Mostly correct - it's stock/production music from the 5 Alarm/Focus Music library. The guitarist imitating the Hendrix riffs is a session guy named Frank Shelley - someone interviewed him about the song for some obscure website within the last 10 years, but I can't seem to find it now. Here's a link to the whole album it's from:

https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-row/discover/albums/5777/history-of-rock-and-pop-1-1957-1969

• Like 2