DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

Tchia has what I thought was an excruciatingly long prologue. Then, you finally get to the point where you can soul jump...and you're up against a fast-draining stamina meter.

I really want to like this game, and I am going to stick with it, but I think the devs looked at Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed and thought, "What if we took the worst aspects of these games and jammed them into ours?" Uninteresting tower climbing + shitty stamina meter is like the last combo any dev should shoot for.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

Square Enix stuff was on sale, and as a reward for finally getting my parents' taxes together I've bought myself Final Fantasy XIII for $7.99.

I've now gotten almost all of the games on PC, just need to decide if I want OG 8 or remastered 8.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Tchia has what I thought was an excruciatingly long prologue. Then, you finally get to the point where you can soul jump...and you're up against a fast-draining stamina meter.

I really want to like this game, and I am going to stick with it, but I think the devs looked at Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed and thought, "What if we took the worst aspects of these games and jammed them into ours?" Uninteresting tower climbing + shitty stamina meter is like the last combo any dev should shoot for.

Not a fan of Shadow of the Colossus, then? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I'm not even sure which version of 8 I have but do your homework because one of them has a downgrade from the original sountrack in sound quality (although apparently it's fixable with a mod)

Yeah what's kept me from making the snap decision - both versions have flaws and problems, and I haven't decided which one(s) I'm willing to live with.

• Like 1

Currently going through backlog games only. Started Nier Automata and it's very fucking cool, but got distracted by Sifu. I'm generally not a fan of roguelikes but boy, if you get into that flow state and you're just WRECKING rooms of thugs with your kung fu? Immensely satisfying, but sometimes you're just as likely to mistime something and boom, you're getting your ass handed to you. Still rules. Videogames rule. 

• Like 1

Gonna channel my inner POE! here for a moment.

Today, I wrapped up my first-ever Platinum, courtesy of Ghost of Tsushima (PS5). I also got all seven of the trophies from the Iki Island expansion, though I don't think those were necessary to complete the Platinum.

I totally had to resort to a guide for a couple of them, particularly the "Honor the Unseen" achievement, which was the last one I got, because I didn't even know that "hidden altars" were a thing in this game.

There are a few more things I could do like gather all the records and artifacts and whatnot, but I think I'm just about all Ghosted out for now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/20/2023 at 8:41 AM, tbarrie said:

And speaking of point-and-clicks - I finally bought Return to Monkey Island a few days ago. It's pretty great. Currently stuck near the end (I think) of Part II, after having been stuck for a while near the end of Part I.

I eventually resorted to the in-game hints to get through, and it turns out the solution was something I'd already tried - the game is just overly picky about where you place the cursor for that particular action. So I'm not thrilled about that. But my overall impression of the game is still positive.

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Gonna channel my inner POE! here for a moment.

Today, I wrapped up my first-ever Platinum, courtesy of Ghost of Tsushima (PS5). I also got all seven of the trophies from the Iki Island expansion, though I don't think those were necessary to complete the Platinum.

I totally had to resort to a guide for a couple of them, particularly the "Honor the Unseen" achievement, which was the last one I got, because I didn't even know that "hidden altars" were a thing in this game.

There are a few more things I could do like gather all the records and artifacts and whatnot, but I think I'm just about all Ghosted out for now.

Go for the 100% now!

(Seriously you don't have to - just play, complete and Platinum the games you want. You don't have to do what I do. I try to do games I know I'll enjoy doing or in some cases like Castlevania Lords of Shadow thought I would enjoy)

But if you start doing stuff like Zippy The Circle Level 1 or ZJ The Ball Level 1 or Stroke The Spider or The Jumping Taco, I'm going to look at you funny.

Okay - this is a little wacky (but also maybe not)

MultiVersus is getting yanked from digital storefronts on April 4 and the game will go completely offline June 25.

However, it seems like this is part of the transition from "open beta" to Full release as the game will return sometime in early 2024 with current players having all of their stuff and progress transferring to the new version of the game

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - this is a little wacky (but also maybe not)

MultiVersus is getting yanked from digital storefronts on April 4 and the game will go completely offline June 25.

However, it seems like this is part of the transition from "open beta" to Full release as the game will return sometime in early 2024 with current players having all of their stuff and progress transferring to the new version of the game

There's no guarantee that it's coming back and no guarantee that there won't be a new trophy list. I'm skipping doing Multiversus because the trophy list looks painful (and I'm trying to Platinum Syndicate before June 15 2023).

I spent six hours with the Diablo 4 beta yesterday. I enjoyed it tremendously. It reminded me a lot more of D2 instead of D3. The cinematics and cut scenes are all really gorgeous... and creepy as hell.

I played as a barbarian and got to level 15 but barely scratched the surface of what the class can do. Barbarians can equip four weapons at once and then, depending on the attacks they use, deploy the necessary weapons (two-handed crushing weapon, two-handed slashing weapon, two one handed weapons). Because I was short on time, I just went for a lunging strike/whirlwind build instead of exploring options. The MMO-lite aspect of the game didn't bother me because the other players didn't seem to be intrusive, even if we were going for the same mission. That could change, though, when the general public gets thrown together on a realm at release. Lots of side quests to get lost in while you're hunting down Lilith, which I can always appreciate.

It ran a little choppy on my computer but I'm not sure if that's because it's in beta or because my computer is getting kinda old.

Guess I'll pick up the game when it drops later this year and continue tornadoing my way through mobs.

• Like 2

There's still a lot of bland industry stuff that doesn't interest the average gamer that goes on, but that's nearly all that is left. Plus there's going to be a few dozen clowns pitching AI bot schemes for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the final E3.

• Like 1

I legit can't find the thread for it so I will just mention it here

Volition announced a bunch of free DLC for the Saints Row reboot that will, over the next few months, add two new districts and completely overhaul the combat

If you have the expansion pack - you will also be getting new missions

saints-row-2022-volition-sandbox-game-dl

The internet's reaction, being the internet, was "This game still exists?"

Apparently gamers still aren’t excited about virtual reality.  Bloomberg says PSVR 2 is going to sell about 270,000 units in its first two months of release (it went on sale Feb 2) and a price cut may be needed to avoid a disaster,

I was planning to buy one, but I haven’t yet and now may not,  I don’t particularly like VR and feel like it’s a superfluous addition to most games.  I was mostly interested for Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Half-Life: Alyx.  Alyx has yet to be officially announced, so now I’m wondering if it ever will be.

7 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Apparently gamers still aren’t excited about virtual reality.  Bloomberg says PSVR 2 is going to sell about 270,000 units in its first two months of release (it went on sale Feb 2) and a price cut may be needed to avoid a disaster

I think this has been obvious since before it came out because I feel like I saw a lot of people (including here) say they would be way more interesting if the price wasn't so ridiculous

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Apparently gamers still aren’t excited about virtual reality.  Bloomberg says PSVR 2 is going to sell about 270,000 units in its first two months of release (it went on sale Feb 2) and a price cut may be needed to avoid a disaster,

I was planning to buy one, but I haven’t yet and now may not,  I don’t particularly like VR and feel like it’s a superfluous addition to most games.  I was mostly interested for Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Half-Life: Alyx.  Alyx has yet to be officially announced, so now I’m wondering if it ever will be.

Much like 3D TVs, maybe companies should reconsider any new product that makes you wear weird shit in your face.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1