DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

49 minutes ago, Casey said:

Outer Worlds' next gen upgrade is gonna need a patch, because the Performance Mode option still feels like 30-40 fps. Noticeable slow downs when you enter the "open world" areas, like at the beginning of the game. It's fine in contained cities, like Emerald Vale.

You also can't transfer PS4 saves to the PS5 version. So a separate, but exactly the same, trophy list for PS4 and PS5. Wack.

Huh. What's the upgrade price if you already own the game/season pass?

8 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Huh. What's the upgrade price if you already own the game/season pass?

$9.99. Just know that it’s a separate download and whatnot.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I just added to my Backlog of Shame by buying Death Stranding & God of War 2018 for my PS5.  Of course I'm still dicking around on Skyrim for the billionth time instead of playing the things I paid for.

Also, the PS5 Media Remote is basically garbage compared to the XBox One remote.  I almost wish I hadn't bothered with it (except that I wouldn't want to run down my controller battery playing movies).  Stuff looks...weird on the PS5's blu-ray/4K anyway - I think it's trying so hard to provide sharpness and clarity, and the upscaling is different enough, that it looks more 3-dimensional than what I'm used to or expecting.  It's a bit much.

Sony hasn't had a good media controller since the PS3. It's a darn shame.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I finally got @odessasteps’s favorite Telltale game to download the episodes. But it’s just taking FOREVER. I’ll be lucky to have 2-4 downloaded by the time I wake up 😂

Steam just randomly decides sometimes to download at an absolute snail's pace for me and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. It's been that way for over a year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Steam just randomly decides sometimes to download at an absolute snail's pace for me and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. It's been that way for over a year.

My issue was downloading this stuff from the 360 Marketplace. It legit took me from 4am to 5pm to download 5 episodes. Not like they’re that big file wise, either.

I honestly don't get the Outer Worlds love. It was a game that tried to be corporate satire but fails to say anything interesting about it to the point it probably has less to say on the subject than Borderlands 2 did, then the anti-corporate game in a final act of hubris releases a broken upgraded edition that owners of the original had to pay for the privlage of paying. It was a mediocre game with a bunch of bad faith messaging that's now going out in a cloud of farts.

I'm trying to finish up my 3DS downloads before the store closes in two weeks. I'm buying every Boxboy game. Are there any non-RPG Nintendo exclusives on 3DS that are worth getting besides those? Every Picross E game is download-only, right? I should have bought more of those when they were on sale. 

• Like 1

Just now, Death From Above said:

I honestly don't get the Outer Worlds love. It was a game that tried to be corporate satire but fails to say anything interesting about it to the point it probably has less to say on the subject than Borderlands 2 did, then the anti-corporate game in a final act of hubris releases a broken upgraded edition that owners of the original had to pay for the privlage of paying. It was a mediocre game with a bunch of bad faith messaging that's now going out in a cloud of farts.

Counterpoint: It was super-obvious corporate satire, but no one was playing it for that. They were playing it because Obsidian was finally making KotOR III, except without the Star Wars license.

Also, Parvati Holcomb is like the best new RPG character in a decade or something like that, so the game justifies itself simply because her character exists within it. 

• Like 3

KoTor 3 has existed for over a decade, just because some poeple have a hard on for pretending MMO's aren't games doesn't make them right.

Yeah Obsidian made it. Okay, and the gameplay really has nothing that stands out or was done to a particularly outstanding level. It's the definition of a thumbs in the middle gameplay experience.

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

KoTor 3 has existed for over a decade, just because some poeple have a hard on for pretending MMO's aren't games doesn't make them right.

Yeah Obsidian made it. Okay, and the gameplay really has nothing that stands out or was done to a particularly outstanding level. It's the definition of a thumbs in the middle gameplay experience.

No, the Old Republic isn't KotOR III. No one's pretending that MMOs aren't games. But KotOR = single-player game set on multiple planets that are segmented into hubs. Old Republic is not that. It's something else entirely. Whether or not you like that something else is whatever, but no, they're not really alike. 

If you don't love that KotOR/KotOR II gameplay/level layout with worlds divided into hubs, that's fine. Nothing stands out to you. The rest of us who DO love that type of gameplay and level layout were thrilled about it, I assure you.

Um... tOR is literally 8 single player games in BioWare's story engine built on top of a MMO combat system, where it's on multiple planets segmented into hubs (which, honestly, every MMO is already).  Playing with others is pretty much optional (outside of some objective competition.) 

• Like 1

Mmm, well, I can see where you're coming from. I haven't played it in literal years, but I remember playing with others not being pretty much optional. I could be wrong, though.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:31 AM, Matt D said:

I've got the last dungeon and a little bit of grinding to go in Fantasian Part 1. I read some comments on Part 2 and the difficulty spike sounds absolutely insane. I still have a couple of free months of Apple Arcade left so I think I'll dabble but it sounds like a crazy endeavor for a primarily mobile game 

Ok, Part 2 of Fantasian is not, in fact, insanely difficult. It's actually very enjoyable. The game is, unsurprisingly, a ton like FFVI.

• In Part 1, you run through the plot, with party characters coming and going. It's very linear but you can move around freely right before the end. 
  • In Part 2, you do "Searching for Friends", a ton of side-quests that involve world building and character building, revisiting old locations and finding new ones, unlocking abilities, weapons, and upgrade materials. The bosses tend to be puzzle fights where you need to figure out how to cycle your team's skills and equipment, get your timing right, and survive a lot of big attacks. A lot of times you may hit a wall against a boss and need to go do some other stuff first but you have a lot of freedom in what to do and how. You can grind but it helps more for giving you more nodes in the FFX/XII grids that don't even become available until Part II for most characters. While there is a boss attached to most side-quests, the side-quest isn't about the boss which makes it different than the "Monster Hunt" bullshit you get in most later FF games. Like old FF games, it helps to use a guide to keep yourself sane, maybe not to find every treasure but to know what's ahead of you with the boss and if you want to tackle it yet or not. Just because you know how you're supposed to beat it, doesn't mean you can either. But there's been a tangible sense of getting stronger throughout.

If anyone has apple products it's worth $10-15 that it'd cost you to get through it on Apple Arcade. It's basically the best Final Fantasy game I've played in fifteen years.

Edited by Matt D

On 3/8/2023 at 8:16 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm trying to finish up my 3DS downloads before the store closes in two weeks. I'm buying every Boxboy game. Are there any non-RPG Nintendo exclusives on 3DS that are worth getting besides those? Every Picross E game is download-only, right? I should have bought more of those when they were on sale. 

the only Nintendo IP games i felt the need to purchase before the 3ds eShop closed were Mario vs Donkey Kong (5): Minis on the Move and (6): Tipping Stars. haven't played 6 yet, but i enjoyed 1, 2, 3, 5 (to a lesser extent), and amiibo Challenge. Probably need to get around to buying 4 and playing both 4 and 6. 

i was tempted by the game Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, as i saw it on a bunch of "best of eShop" lists, but i never checked it out. i think it was a bunch of minigames? wait, is this the one that added microtransactions? i don't remember. 

side note: 
if you are a fan of 8bit style games, check out Dark Void Zero if you haven't already. It was a game released (like 10 years ago?) to build hype for the XBox360 game Dark Void. presented itself as a "lost" Capcom NES game. and it's pretty damn good, too. 

Edited by twiztor
clarifying the confusing Mario vs DK series!
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, twiztor said:

the only Nintendo IP games i felt the need to purchase before the 3ds eShop closed were Mario vs Donkey Kong (5): Minis on the Move and (6): Tipping Stars. haven't played 6 yet, but i enjoyed 1, 3, 5 (to a lesser extent), and amiibo Challenge. Probably need to get around to buying 2 and playing 4. 

i was tempted by the game Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, as i saw it on a bunch of "best of eShop" lists, but i never checked it out. i think it was a bunch of minigames? wait, is this the one that added microtransactions? i don't remember. 

side note: 
if you are a fan of 8bit style games, check out Dark Void Zero if you haven't already. It was a game released (like 10 years ago?) to build hype for the XBox360 game Dark Void. presented itself as a "lost" Capcom NES game. and it's pretty damn good, too. 

I just downloaded Minis on the Move, and it's a neat little thing. The first game, which is the pipe placement game with some neat twists, is pretty fun.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is excellent, IMO. I downloaded it and then ended up buying all the minigames. If you use your discount tickets that the game awards you for achieving game goals, you basically pay a bit under twenty bucks for the full game. I found it worth it, but I thought most of the minigames were addictive. YMMV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

popped in Tomb Raider (ps1) last night. it's on my backlog list of games to beat this year. oh man, the graphics and control scheme are ROUGH. i would say the early 3d games are a genre that has aged the worst of anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

popped in Tomb Raider (ps1) last night. it's on my backlog list of games to beat this year. oh man, the graphics and control scheme are ROUGH. i would say the early 3d games are a genre that has aged the worst of anything.

I love that era and the early ps1 look, not the best looking but brings me the most nostalgia of the old games. Been planning to pick up a ps1 at some point to play some of my old games again, like the TR series.

I finished Marvel's Midnight Suns today. This went pretty under my radar, I had heard about it but not as much as one would expect since I am usually plugged into the latest games. Anyway it combines two things I enjoy (deck builders and XCOM) so I liked it, even though I'm not a big Marvel guy and hadn't heard of a handful of the characters. I imagine the game is even more fun for Marvel fans. Its already showing up at a greatly reduced price, it wasn't a A+ MUST PLAY or anything like that but was worth the 40+ hours I put into it.