DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

Alright. Someone needs to get all the shots of the Normandy from Mass Effect and set it to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQUxNf3G6k

Why? Because the head of Mass Effect development admitted they borrowed Mass Effect's opening style from Top Gun:

https://kotaku.com/mass-effect-top-gun-text-intro-bioware-casey-hudson-1850000760

Man, Giant Bomb continues to die more and more. Jess and Jason were both laid off. Sucks for Jason because of his issues with diabetes and recently having a toe or two amputated. 

It sucks that the Patreon model didn’t exist when Giant Bomb started. They probably could have stayed independent and made a good living. 

Eventually, I think Giant Bomb gets shut down. It makes more and more sense for the Nextlander crew and for Jeff to have left.

• Sad 1

Backlog of Shame Review: Dungeontop: Spell Sword Cards

Another rogue like card game, this one's twist is that the cards you play end up on a board which all characters can move around on. The key point is that you can only summon units next to an existing unit, so there's a lot of tactical side to the hearthstone like battle system. Roguelike of course means stuff is unlocked between runs. It's good, but the tactical side left me.. like... a bit dry. It takes some getting used to. Do you summon quick acting units to lock the enemy boss in place during their turn (knowing they'll likely die to attacks), or do you build out slowly, risking losing tactical space if the enemy rushes your hero (which is a unit on the field)

Review: Good to Good+

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Eventually, I think Giant Bomb gets shut down. It makes more and more sense for the Nextlander crew and for Jeff to have left.

Honestly, Nextlander is the only one I listen to consistently on a weekly basis. Giant Bomb definitely feels like it's trending towards an end. I did Fire Escape for a bit but fell off, and I've never engaged with Jeff's new one past an episode here and there. 

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Honestly, Nextlander is the only one I listen to consistently on a weekly basis. Giant Bomb definitely feels like it's trending towards an end. I did Fire Escape for a bit but fell off, and I've never engaged with Jeff's new one past an episode here and there. 

I listen and pay attention more to Nextlander and have since the beginning. Fire Escape I bailed on after a handful of episodes. I like Dan and Mike in small doses. Mary Kish is fine, but Mike, more than Dan weirdly enough, can be really grating. Jeff's podcast feels like more of a Twitch thing. Like, if you had dual monitors I could see Jeff's podcast working better. Just listening to it where it's one guy rambling on and interacting with his Twitch audience is kind of weird. And Giant Bomb I listen to, but don't really pay attention to it. That said, Jess had just posted about how this was her dream job and Jason has had some terrible, life threatening health problems over the last year so it sucks that they're laying him off. I'm hoping his wife has good insurance for them both.

And out of all of that, Nextlander and Jeff's pod are the only ones I donate to on Patreon. I figure $5 a month to each is fine, but I do wonder if I'm missing out on Jeff doing funny ad reads. Nextlander is probably the best out of everything that's out there because it has more of the raw Giant Bomb feel, but I'm not going to lie, I wish Jeff were with them. Jeff seems content to just go it on his own, work from his office/nursery, and not be tied to any model where "Quick Look" style videos, group videos, or whatever are necessary.

Wow.

Per the clip, if Ryan didn’t die, Giant Bomb wouldn’t have lasted more than another 9 months. Ryan dying showed a bunch of investors and others just how much Giant Bomb meant to people. Pretty crazy stuff.

Had a "lovely" time today reminding myself how much computer upgrades can be frustrating.  Bought a 1TB M.2 drive and had it delivered same-day, only to plug it in, and voila, the drive carrying all my Steam games, which were what I wanted to move to the much faster drive, was gone.  Had to reroute that from chipset SATA to APU SATA for whatever reason to get the BIOS to recognize it again, but at least now the migration is happening.

Kinda looking forward to firing up Fallout 4 and seeing if it helps at all with the load times.  Kinda also way too spoiled on my PS5 being blindingly fast.

Now that I've done it, though, I wonder if I didn't mess up; the first M.2 slot is positioned *under* the GPU, but it has its own thermal sink and it makes me think the point there is that the GPU fans will pull air over it better than having it in the second, no-sink slot.

EDIT: Nah, my mobo is a weird SOB.  If I put it in the x4 slot, the APU SATA slots get disabled.  If I put it in the M.2 x2 slot, the last 2 chipset SATA slots get disabled.  So navigating the stupidity of my 3+ year old kinda-budget board isn't worth it. 

But...Fallout 4 with 34 mods loads in about 15 seconds...

Edited by Contentious C

Got my 277th Platinum trophy with Far Cry 3 for PS3. I also got my 15,000th trophy during the playthrough.

Game is really great even today. I somewhat see why Ubisoft milked the series after FC3 though. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't go back to weapon jamming/buddies/diamonds/malaria pills from Far Cry 2 though.

• Like 1

Finally went back and finished the Kastor quest in Wonderlands and haven't felt any real desire to do the Chaos Chamber or any of the DLC, though I did give it a go a couple of times.

So, I decided to do another Ghost of Tsushima playthrough. I know there were conversations about it here not too long ago but, man, this game is special.

• Like 1

good lord, the last trophy I needed for the platinum on R&C: Rift Apart was one where I needed an upgraded lvl 5 version of a weapon, and I only had it at lvl 2. After 20 minutes of grinding in the challenge arena I got that, then had to go upgrade the stats on it, then go back to the arena and kill 10 enemies with their own shots.

But I finally got it, so I’ve gotten the platinum trophy for it. Weird that only 15% of players have it, it was one of the easiest I’ve ever tried for. Well, besides that last one, and a few combat based ones but those weren’t difficult.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 8:17 PM, Gonzo said:

So, I decided to do another Ghost of Tsushima playthrough. I know there were conversations about it here not too long ago but, man, this game is special.

I'm doing one too, slowly. I am finally finishing up a NG+ run.

It's a gorgeous game. And the Mythic Tales sidequests are my favorite sidequests in a game in a long time.

11 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm doing one too, slowly. I am finally finishing up a NG+ run.

It's a gorgeous game. And the Mythic Tales sidequests are my favorite sidequests in a game in a long time.

I can't think of an open world game that made me want to explore the world more than Ghosts of Tsushima. It's really one of my 5 favorite games of all time. 

Edited by supremebve
Fat thumbs
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, supremebve said:

I can't think of an open world game that made me want to explore the world more than Ghosts of Tsushima. It's really one of my 5 favorite games of all time. 

I'm pretty slowly making my way through it. Just recruited the Straw Hats and will be making my way to Lady Adachi's estate the next time I pick it up.

I mentioned it somewhere else, but the first time I did it I played the first half of the game in "Kurosawa Mode," which was cool for a while but really took away from the brilliance of the game world. That and I've upgraded to the PS5 version this time around so I started from scratch. Might try to see if I can find all of the hidden stuff (artifacts, crickets, etc.) because I didn't do it on my first playthrough.

12 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I'm pretty slowly making my way through it. Just recruited the Straw Hats and will be making my way to Lady Adachi's estate the next time I pick it up.

I mentioned it somewhere else, but the first time I did it I played the first half of the game in "Kurosawa Mode," which was cool for a while but really took away from the brilliance of the game world. That and I've upgraded to the PS5 version this time around so I started from scratch. Might try to see if I can find all of the hidden stuff (artifacts, crickets, etc.) because I didn't do it on my first playthrough.

I understand why someone would want to play Kurosawa mode, but in my opinion it would be a mistake.  I don't know if I can think of a game that used color better than Ghosts of Tsushima.  There are so many breathtaking areas that just wouldn't feel the same in black and white.  The game will probably still be gorgeous, but unless you're planning on playing it multiple times, you are going to want to see it in full color.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

No one has ever said this about Mass Effect 1. No one, damnit!

Compared to the driving in Borderlands, I picked it up quick.

Plus the fact that the Mako reminds me of the Landmaster from Damnation Alley.

If only I had George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent riding with me.

Edited by Travis Sheldon
had deep insight to share

I stupidly have kept playing the Last of Us Part 1. I'm...not a fan of it? I honestly don't see what all of the big deal is with this. Aside from what happens in the first five minutes and the stuff with Bill and Frank, this is just a lot of skulking around, choke a dude out, skulk around, choke someone else out, etc. It also doesn't help that, at least in my opinion, the controls are kind of crappy. 

Gorgeous looking game, there is some emotion there, but otherwise, meh. This doesn't feel all that special.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I stupidly have kept playing the Last of Us Part 1. I'm...not a fan of it? I honestly don't see what all of the big deal is with this. Aside from what happens in the first five minutes and the stuff with Bill and Frank, this is just a lot of skulking around, choke a dude out, skulk around, choke someone else out, etc. It also doesn't help that, at least in my opinion, the controls are kind of crappy. 

Gorgeous looking game, there is some emotion there, but otherwise, meh. This doesn't feel all that special.

I found playing that game unpleasant.  It was basically let's see how many ways we can stress you out and call it entertainment.  It is well made, and I'm sure it's right up somebody's alley, but it's the exact opposite of what I want from a video game.

• Like 3

The controls of the PS4 remaster are exactly why I never played the first game. But my understanding is that the controls of the remake are like Part 2’s, which I loved. But I still have no desire to play Part 1 because fuck Joel.

Edited by Casey