DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 1/4/2023!

DEAN

If we're loading up a Murderer's Row of TV matches for Danielson, here's my hopes.

Takeshita (glad they're starting with this), Claudio OR Big Bill (I'd love them to run it back from WWE), Chuck Taylor (for the Kentucky debut), Mox (for Dayton debut), Rush (why not)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

For better or worse, it's consistent with MJFs lame heel schtique to make those sorts of comments for cheap heat. 

Its really not relevant to Bryan Danielson, the on screen character to spend five minutes telling everyone how many men his mother slept with. Given it's not the first time he's out of nowhere made those sort of comments about women, I get the feeling he's telling on himself a bit.

You've got Caster making wife-stealing jokes and Starks was the one who started calling MJF "Maxi Pad" so gender-conscious language might be a company wide problem (or a society-wide problem) rather than just Bryan. And cheap-heat guy or not, "Shut up you fat skank" is pretty extreme in 2023. Sounds like a Scott Steiner line from 20 years ago.

• Like 3

I agree with all of that. I just think that not calling out Bryan for it despite several instances of it, where there's no excuse of "that's the on-screen character he's playing" is the new "JBL and Hardcore Holly are awful people for being locker room bullies, but Benoit is excused because we like him".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Ref Aubrey getting all the love was awesome

Going from the crying fan in the front row during Bryan's retirement speech on Raw to reffing a match of his in Seattle. Wild.

That show was fucking fire. I thought all of it landed. That stage looked bad in the pictures that leaked with the Dark logos on it. But goddamn does it look dope in motion. Super big time look. They've really upped their graphics stuff lately too. To me the look and feel of their graphics and trons blows WWE out of the water. Also none of those garbage AR things on the screen.

Starks vs Jericho was fucking good. The Memphis booking of Acclaimed vs JJ/JL was fucking good. That main was fun. Mox dropping a ton of F bombs was fun. Damn great show.

With LA next week let's hope this sparks a new wave of momentum to ride.

• Like 5

What a remarkable run! This show seems to keep getting better and better. Besides the new staging (finally a 'respectable' commentators table!), the improved production touches were small but quietly effective. This Mansury dude seems like he might play out as one of their best pickups from Titan Sports. 

These hot crowds are helping cement the quality of this show week to week. I loved the Ladies talk segments. Saraya and Toni are natural heels, and I have the scent of a double turn with the heavily cheered Baker/Hayter/Rebel trio. I'm hoping similarily that Red Velvet remains a heel while Jade goes full babyface. Velvet is so much more fun as a heel. And again, Jade is heavily cheered. I didn't watch much of the match. Did I miss anything? Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal are clearly such a terrific heel team. And a fun contrast on this show. Lethal has been so consistent this entire AEW run, and Jarrett is on a heckuvaFUNrun right now. The Tag title bout was joyous and I loved that Dusty finish! I also loved Starks and Jericho, and the walls, the aftermath, everything! Hangman and Moxley's promo was so fucking good. All the promos on this show. Renee has been such a great addition to these broadcasts. She's the best since Gene! Danielson-Nese and Swerve-Fox were so fun and so different. Yeah, the Danielson side of the promo segment with the slut shaming was Lame. Bryan did kinda call his shot after, and the end result was a mostly strong segment. MJF's promo was terrific and clearly underrated on this board. I loved the name drops especially Disco Inferno! I also like Max calling himself 'an attraction'. Goddamn Darby Allin is the best! He's been so consistently great for sooooo long. And no one deserves their flowers more than him. Yet another naturally real and dramatic and emotional moment on this incredible pro wrestling show! 

• Like 1

MJF isn't the man for this idea, but I wonder if some heel could get some extra heat by going with the Meher Baba "observed silence" gimmick in protest of some perceived slight.

Baba was the inspiration for the song "Don't Worry Be Happy" and he also communicated through a chalkboard/alphabet board/hand gestures for 44 years until his death.

But if there's someone really wanting to get over as a heel whose micwork gets cheered, then it might be smarter to get heat through silence than through trying to say things that'll get booed.

Edit: The Maharishi did the same thing in Oregon, but good luck finding the wrestling Ma Aaand Sheela.

Also, with the way that major fed rosters are these days, you need at least one woman writing or in the room to avoid the pitfalls of men writing women.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I can vouch for this as we met Ricky at Celebfest last November.  The guy indeed is a gem and took all the time in the world to chat with us about things from his figure (regular and chase variant) plus him needing some gold around his waist.  I was already a fan of the guy but my wife likes him a lot more now.  Plus him being incredibly handsome doesn't hurt either.

I'll add 1 more thing about Starks, as there aren't enough nice things said about wrestlers these days. The people in front of me were this dude who looked like he was in his mid-late 30s and his parents who I assumed to both be well into their 60s. Dude's mom was in a wheelchair, but when they get up to Ricky she stands up for the photo. I was taking the photo cuz they asked everyone to take a pic for whoever was ahead of them in line. Ricky asks about the chair and they tell him in the past couple of years she's had her neck fused, had back surgery and beaten cancer. I snap the photo, they start to leave and Ricky points at me and says "hang on, take one of me and mom" and gives her a big hug (which made her light up). Dude is a fucking prince. Eddie Kingston was cool as hell to everyone too.

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

You’d think that MJF wouldn’t have needed to show a clip of Seattle losing in the Super Bowl to get booed in Seattle against Washington state native Bryan Danielson but hey, there might still be some holdouts that’ll insist on cheering MJF, so run the score up a little.

Best part was after the clip it cuts back to MJF with a shiteating grin on his face and he just says "You suck Seattle".

6 hours ago, Web Conn said:

So the man who I thought was Shang his name is Schaff watch Brian Cage vs Schaff it’s really good. 

The crowd was loud for the local guys. The Bollywood Boyz got a loud reaction throughout their match. Schaff got a loud response when he came out and got a “Defy” chant during his match.

Defy is the local indie out here. Swerve got a “Defy” chant too and he seemed taken aback by it in a good way. 

Defy always puts on a good show and they usually sell out pretty quickly. The place they run can only fit 500 or so, but they vary ticket prices depending on who's coming in. When they brought in Minoru Suzuki I got 2nd row seats for 75 bucks each.

6 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I was thinking last night that if they're really abandoning Wardlow, having him be the final Dynamite opponent for Danielson would be optimal

Abandoning Wardlow? Where did this come from? I assumed they were just giving him a little time off.

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I get to see her wrestle Viva Van in 22 days

Viva Van faced Athena in a Dark Elevation match.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Going from the crying fan in the front row during Bryan's retirement speech on Raw to reffing a match of his in Seattle. Wild.

There were a few very loud "AUB-REY ED-WARDS" chants during the show, and at one point Dasha pointed out Aubrey's family was there which got a nice reaction too.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I got a delicious salad from the Metropolitan Market post-show. 

It was really good. 

I ate at a Mexican restaurant down the street from that Metropolitan Market before the show an it was pretty pretty pretty good

• Like 1

Just now, Web Conn said:

I ate at a Mexican restaurant down the street from that Metropolitan Market before the show an it was pretty pretty pretty good

Which restaurant? 

I miss Cantina Lena in Belltown. That place was flames. 

Regarding the show, it was nice to see Bryan and Joe live again. The last time I saw those two live, Bryan was retiring and Joe was losing an NXT title shot to Finn Balor. I figured that'd be it for ever seeing those dudes again for the longest time, but no! It wasn't! That ruled!

It was also nice to hang out with friends, and of course, that salad was delicious. I can't state that enough. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Also fuck Jericho. 

I'm not a fan of Cornette but he was right; The Action Andretti match was for Chris, not the kid. I don't think the JAS has made anybody they feuded with any more over.

The biggest winners are Daddy Magic promos and Hager's Hat.

The new open is the most Jericho thing that ever Jerichoed. He appears twice in it. He's the first wrestler you see then a second or two later he's there with the JAS. Then he's making his entrance in the first match. It's hilarious.

• Like 2

I mean Action Andretti went from 99%+ of fans not knowing he existed to being a Dynamite regular, so that's worked out pretty well for him even if he doesn't become the next John Cena. He still got a decent pop coming out to save Starks for a minute too.

Also, another point of evidence for why all tag team breakups should not turn into blood feuds. Could you imagine the pop if Hobbs came down and cleaned house on the JAS? Starks and Andretti need some backup and I'd rather not see the BCC go back to feuding with the JAS.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DJ Hero Morganti said:

Me and my partner went to Dick's.  There were a few other folks who went to the show that we saw.

Then we went back to their house and watched the show to listen to commentary.

Wow, two people going to Dick's. For two burgers, two orders of fries, and two shakes, that must have put you out almost a whole five dollars.

Hell of a show! Go Darby! Also, the opener and main event of last week's Rampage were also really good stuff.

Shida was like "WTF guys, I'm sitting right here!" Saraya didn't even glance at her afterwards. No "and you are great, too!" or "next time, it'll totally be you". This is not going down well, for someone.

Starks with a huge win, but he definitely needed it. I really thought the Floyd shot while trapped in The Walls was going to be the finish.

The tag title match was good. I totally called the Andrew Tate reference last week, but obviously that didn't take a genius to figure out. It was a good call to settle it in an Anything Goes match, but you'll probably end with quite chaotic stuff in that one.

Well, at least we are going to get Danielson every week until February. He might lose a match in there somewhere, and we're out of a Revolution main event. MJF will probably try his damnest to avoid the Iron Man. And if any of you human suitors have a problem with that, you can take it up with MJF's mom! Oh, and Nese tried his damnest, but no dice. Is Takeshita going to fare any better?

Swerve vs AR Fox was really swank with both guys pulling out all the stops. Did Swerve mimic farting on his hand and casually tossing it towards a booing fan? That's gross, but I may have seen it wrong.

I was thinking that if Darby loses, it will kinda look bad. It's so good that he didn't. Now put the title on the line on Rampage, you know, on TNT.

Page and Mox with a good promo segment, and apparently, Red Velvet is looking for an opportunity to become number 50.

The new opening and set made stuff seem fresh. There's so much stuff to look forward to.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I was thinking last night that if they're really abandoning Wardlow, having him be the final Dynamite opponent for Danielson would be optimal

Initially I thought they'd have Joe win so that (returning) Wardlow would get revenge, but wrestling logic dictates the crowd has to go home happy and have the local hero win. I'm guessing they're going to build up Wardlow's return to (maybe) take the ROH TV Title? Plus he has to sell the loss of his manbun.

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also, another point of evidence for why all tag team breakups should not turn into blood feuds. Could you imagine the pop if Hobbs came down and cleaned house on the JAS? Starks and Andretti need some backup and I'd rather not see the BCC go back to feuding with the JAS.

So I realize it's a bit of a rehash, but there's still so much to Hobbs' story I want to know about. Mainly, why did he join Team Tazz after weeks of turning them down? Also I remembered that short time when he was going to team up with Mox and Darby, Mox gave him a hell of a promo and I'd like that to be revisited. Despite all he's done I simply cannot boo Hobbs, his life story makes him a natural face.

• Like 1