DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 1/4/2023!

DEAN

I started the show late. I just got through The Acclaimed/Double Jay Lethal match. Did anyone else love that match as much as I did? The Acclaimed are such a great babyface team. Bowens is a fantastic Ricky Morton and Max is an awesome highly confident shit-talker. Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal were perfect Southern heels in this with ridiculous taunts and managerial interference. I also loved how there was a reason for Aubrey to be at ringside since the parade of refs had to chase out the big man. Perfect 15 minutes of professional wrestling. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Ok, I'm the conspiracy theorist or making wild conjectures, but that GIF of Baker saying "Jamie's the champion, but I'm the boss".

Does that foreshadow Shida attacking Storm, knocking them both out of the match, to bring in the Legit Boss, Mone Banks?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

as for the tag match next week, it's probably too much effort to explain why Sasha was at Dynamite just in time to replace Toni Storm, right?

In other words, if the announced match went on as planned with no shenanigans, what would the reason be for Sasha to be there? It's not exactly a deus ex machina sort of thing but the higher profile 'better' partner would just happen to be at the LA Forum?

Of course I haven't actually made any money in wrestling, so my idea that differs slightly from the most predictable possible scenario might not work either (the idea that Toni is attacked, people think it's Shida. but Shida denies it and.. in time.. it turns out, Shida was right all along)

Sorry to do this segment by segment. But man MJF sucks so much in this segment. It is all over the place. Some of it feels like he’s trying to make himself look lame to get heat as opposed to cool heel pops, which I applaud in some ways but also the world champion looking like an idiot intentionally is a whack look. So of this is paint by numbers insult heel stuff and horrible reactions. Is Max scared? Is he overconfident? He is really bad at trying to be both at once.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Stacked show. Getting PPV level matches on TV. That's why I'd stick with the usual 4, the 5 last year. Less is more.

so which match goes on last of those 4?

think that they'd start the show with Danielson, Moxley would be closer to the midway point (unless there's an angle'd up reason to start with Moxley/Page which would begat more Moxley/Page and then Danielson goes around 45 minutes in).. then... Death Triangle/Elite in the main event? which means you're trying to find a spot in-between the 60-90 minute mark for the women's tag. If there's some big debut around the women's match *winks involuntarily* then where does that go in the show?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

so which match goes on last of those 4?

think that they'd start the show with Danielson, Moxley would be closer to the midway point (unless there's an angle'd up reason to start with Moxley/Page which would begat more Moxley/Page and then Danielson goes around 45 minutes in).. then... Death Triangle/Elite in the main event? which means you're trying to find a spot in-between the 60-90 minute mark for the women's tag. If there's some big debut around the women's match *winks involuntarily* then where does that go in the show?

in theory, you could tease the tag match starting in the first hour only to do the angle to delay it until the second hour, as long as they know that they can't make anybody familiar with Los Angeles believe that Sasha could beat traffic to arrive on time.

It's possible to do a debut and not have it accidentally lost in the shuffle due to all the other stuff on the card but it might take a little work to pull off?

• Like 1

They got me on the tag match. 

I legit threw my phone down and yelled "Fuck off Jarrett!" My 7yo daughter reminded me to not swear in front of children haha 

Super happy for Darby too. Now do SOMETHING with him beyond getting beat up for Sting. Wardlow coming back and trying to break him in half with powerbombs would actually be fine for Revolution.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Also fuck Jericho. 

I'm not a fan of Cornette but he was right; The Action Andretti match was for Chris, not the kid. I don't think the JAS has made anybody they feuded with any more over.

The biggest winners are Daddy Magic promos and Hager's Hat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was the best AEW Dynamite in forever because it had something for everyone.  You want some insane hard hitting madness?  Samoa Joe vs. Darby and AR FOX vs. Swerve has you covered.  Along with a huge hometown hero moment. 

You want a great promo segment? MJF and Bryan has you covered. More hometown love.  A great back and forth. 

But you want some AWESOME sports entertainment tag action with old school heel shtick?   The Acclaimed vs. Jarrett and Lethal has you covered.  

Also, give it up to Jeff Jarrett. He's 55-years old, in great shape and a fucking HEAT MAGNET.  What an unbelievable carny. Jarrett as a midcard heel prick has always been the best Jarrett. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FlrF65jXgAEecI1?format=png&name=small

Jungle Hook.

If Vince was around they'd be called "Hook Boys" and run a gimmick where they using those old school comedy hooks to drag people who's promos go too long.

They'd spend 3 months feuding with Triple H & Seth Rollins before getting their heads shaved and being sent back to NXT.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Also fuck Jericho. 

I'm not a fan of Cornette but he was right; The Action Andretti match was for Chris, not the kid. I don't think the JAS has made anybody they feuded with any more over.

The biggest winners are Daddy Magic promos and Hager's Hat.

Eddie Kingston has cooled off, him vs. Jericho went too long. Ditto Jericho/MJF before the JAS. Daniel Garcia is back as a Jericho lackey.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Jarrett danced around like he bowled a strike after the ref sent Billy Gunn to the back, it was amazing form

I suspect there's a certain amount of Mid South Coliseum shtick that Jarrett could do on TV that would be fresh because (1) it took place a long time ago in wrestling terms and (2) they didn't televise full matches from the MSC so some of the stuff they did live isn't really known outside of fans from Tennessee/Kentucky/Arkansas/etc.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 4