DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

2 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Holy shit. I never thought I'd be saying this: Dragonlance: War of the Lance is getting a re-release:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2344020/Silver_Box_Classics/

One of the first strategy/war games I ever played

Much like the Gold Box Classics, I will put these in my wishlist and wait for the sub-$10 pricepoint.

I know that if I buy them to relive the glory of my youth I'd be utterly disappointed.

Better to leave these games in my memory than actually try and play around with them at this point in time.

• Like 2

Total of 8 D&D games being re released this month, the four in Silver Box Classics, DragonStrike (3d dragon combat, as done 35 years ago), Shadow Sorcerer (honestly don't remember this one), DeathKeep (REALLY don't remember this one)..

and fucking Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace. Holy shit.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, Casey said:

System Shock Remake out on May 30th, according to a post on Steam via Nightdive.

No date for consoles yet though.

Probably a typo on their part.  They meant May 2030.  Yeesh.  Fucking finally.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

Daaaaaaaamnnnnn....

Sadly, Hellblade 2 also has a vague TBD 2023 release date which is likely to get pushed back.

Oooof. I own the first one but have not gotten into the right headspace to play it. I love this.

• Like 1

For the record - that Hellblade video was part of the Unreal Engine 5 showcase

Here are a couple of the other videos from it

Lords of the Fallen

Infinitesimals

Ok, I'm really digging this fuse ability if just because in BotW you'd collect a ton of resources you'd never use. Now that you can use things like eyeballs to make a homing arrow is really cool. I do wonder if fusing weapons winds up resetting their durability.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw someone online say this feels like an expensive BOTW DLC, which seems harsh. 

I like the fusing and the ascend thing. Anything to help cut down on climbing. 

Yeah, I don't think it's really fair to call it that. Although they didn't show us any of the dungeons / shrines / new places we'll go, it's possible the mechanics will have an use in those places.

I do wonder if there's a limit in how much can be built at once (like someone took the time to chop down a bunch of trees and used a lot of rocks to make a tank). Imagine if there would be something so large in-game that it causes it to crash. I think we'll see people attempt that once TOTK is out.

13 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yeah, I don't think it's really fair to call it that. Although they didn't show us any of the dungeons / shrines / new places we'll go, it's possible the mechanics will have an use in those places.

I do wonder if there's a limit in how much can be built at once (like someone took the time to chop down a bunch of trees and used a lot of rocks to make a tank). Imagine if there would be something so large in-game that it causes it to crash. I think we'll see people attempt that once TOTK is out.

My guess is that at a certain number of parts, the first things added on will start to fall off. Although Eiji did point out that the car you saw in the previous trailer was used with the Fuse and Ultrahand abilities and that car looked like it had a ton of parts on it.

Also, Ultrahand is the dumbest name for an ability. 

BotW is one of the best games I've ever played and also one of the more disappointing games I've played. Shrines being used in lieu of dungeons wound up being a little lame once you figured out how to solve the puzzles. Weapon durability and the uncanny ability for it to ALWAYS rain when you're climbing was so frustrating. And the lack of the main theme from the Legend of Zelda was a huge letdown. I remember that final fight with Calamity Ganon and thinking, ok, this is when the music is going to swell up and we're going to hear the Legend of Zelda music for this huge final battle. Instead, the music was the same old shit and final Ganon was maybe the easiest boss in the entire game.

Despite all of that, the game was beautiful, I loved the different biomes, it played exceptionally well, some of the slow mo stuff allowed you to pull off really breathtaking attacks, and the game manages to both be melancholy and very sweet. I also later understood why the original theme wasn't used when my daughter took a video game music orchestra camp - the Legend of Zelda music is incredibly expensive and protected, maybe the most expensive and protected music, for any video game or entertainment medium. From the director leading the symphony here, he explained that only a handful of people in the world have rights to it and they never give them up. So that may explain the lack of the original theme in the game. Still, it would have been one of the most epic moments ever for that music to swell up for the final battle. Here's hoping we'll get to hear it in TotK.

So, who owns the rights, the composer or Nintendo? AdmittedlyI just got up , but if the corporation owned it, they presumably would not have to pay themselves? And it’s hard to imagine Nintendo, given their history, would let a copyright get missed.

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

So, who owns the rights, the composer or Nintendo? AdmittedlyI just got up , but if the corporation owned it, they presumably would not have to pay themselves? And it’s hard to imagine Nintendo, given their history, would let a copyright get missed.

It's actually owned by Koji Kondo and then licensed out to only a handful of people. Based on what the director was saying though, it's an incredible headache to try to use that music for anything else and Koji would need to work on the game directly for the music to be used even if he wanted it used in the game. Weirdly enough though, that limitation doesn't extend to all of his works and I forget the song my daughter and the rest of the youth symphony played, but they did get to play a song originally composed by Koji.

• Like 1

Because I am a foolish fool, I will play TotK at launch. It's a big-budget open-world action-adventure game, and I play a majority of those at launch and almost all of them at some point.

But man, everything that sucked about BotW (braindead combat, weapon breaking with no repair option, boring puzzles outside of Eventide Island and a couple of shrines) still seems to be there. Fuse sort of gets at that second one, at least.

BotW was a rarely joyful game for me. I put a ton of hours into it because the Switch launch period was bare, but I didn't finish the DLC and have never picked it up again. It's not a good sign when I watched the TotK gameplay demo and immediately felt gameplay fatigue.

If I enjoyed the physics powers more, I'd probably be more excited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster (compilation of I-VI)  will be released for Switch and PS4 on April 19

I have the anniversary edition pre-ordered, wonder if that is being released the same day or if there is a delay. I want to play them all starting at I but I have been advised that I doesn't hold up well. Will probably try it anyway.

I just read this on the update for the Pixel Remaster, uh WHAT.

"Turn off random encounters: Sometimes you just want to explore in peace, so a feature in the Pixel Remaster games lets you turn off random encounters completely. This means you can roam the world without being harassed by monsters. That also means you won’t get stronger, so be careful how you use it…"

That is a hell of a built-in cheat code but I dig it. You can't just keep it off or you will never level but it will be nice if I am trying to reach a safe area or running back through an area with low leveled enemies.

• Like 1