DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

17 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Super Mario Bros 3 was $50 in 1990, which is about $115 today. It's honestly shocking how LITTLE video games have risen in cost, considering inflation.

There are many things to consider here besides inflation:

• the size of the video game market (Breath of the Wild sold more than 30 million copies, SMB3 has sold 18 million copies - but who knows how many of them were pack-ins)
  • the prize to produce & sell game copies (the cartidges alone on NES time were definitely more expensive than whatever mediums are used nowadays, I think it cost Nintendo themselves 5$ to 10$ per cartridge; in addition consider how many copies Nintendo nowadays sells directly via their e-shop, i.e. no middle men reducing the margin)
  • development nowadays is much more expensive (I assume some AAA titles cost ten to a hundred times as much to develop compared to the more expensive NES games - Wikipedia lists the SMB3 development costs at $1.8 to 3 million adjusted to inflation, Elden Ring seems to have cost about $200 million; Breath of the Wild was about at half of that from what I can find)
  • I am sure that there are other points to consider (I have no idea who the tax situation or the contracts with distribution channels have changed over the last 30+ years, for example)
  • Like 1

I don't think there was an SMB3 NES bundle. I assume the number doesn't include the SNES SMAS sales or the SMAS + World pack-in bundle. 

If SMB3 NES sold 18M worldwide by itself, which seems to be true, that's bananas for that time and place. Insane numbers when put into context. 

Yeah, I've thought about that, but the plugs are actually pretty easy to get to on my TV, and I have enough dumb bullshit plugged in over there that I don't want to add more.  It's not really any harder for me to be the very analog style HDMI Switcher.

Or, I could just continue not using my Switch!

57 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I don't think there was an SMB3 NES bundle. I assume the number doesn't include the SNES SMAS sales or the SMAS + World pack-in bundle. 

If SMB3 NES sold 18M worldwide by itself, which seems to be true, that's bananas for that time and place. Insane numbers when put into context. 

There was a bundle but apparently only in Europe (maybe even UK-only) and only a couple thousands of them were made and sold, i.e. the 18 million are basically all standalone sales.

• Thanks 1

Lol, my wife thinks HDMI switchers are the worst invention ever.  

What happened is that, when I found out hdmi switchers were a thing, I installed them on all our tvs and now we have sooooo many more devices connected throughout the house.   I have the Xbox, Switch, and PS5 connected to a tv in one room snd several retro consoles connected in another.

The downside is that we have lots and lots of power cables everywhere and it bugs the heck out of her when she cleans.  She’s a bit of a neat-nik.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Robert S said:

There was a bundle but apparently only in Europe (maybe even UK-only) and only a couple thousands of them were made and sold, i.e. the 18 million are basically all standalone sales.

No, there was a SMB3 Bundle available in the US.  I had one (at least through Toys 'R Us).

On 2/10/2023 at 12:53 PM, Tabe said:

Get an HDMI switcher.

100%

my personal rule is that i refuse to own more systems than i can have hooked up at one time. so my living room tv has both an HDMI splitter (also a powered one) and an RCA splitter. currently 6 systems there (n64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox360, WiiU, Switch) and another 4 in the retro room (atari2600, NES, SNES, Genesis/32x- all via RF switch). i'm pretty much out of space, ports, and plugs.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:27 PM, Doc Townsend said:

The downside is that we have lots and lots of power cables everywhere and it bugs the heck out of her when she cleans.  She’s a bit of a neat-nik.

that is definitely an issue here as well.

5 hours of Atomic Heart gameplay leaked (it's on YouTube). I didn't watch but maybe a combined two minutes, because I want to go into it blind, but it's giving pretty massive Bioshock + Dishonored vibes with the combat/abilities. And it's pretty as hell, too.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

5 hours of Atomic Heart gameplay leaked (it's on YouTube). I didn't watch but maybe a combined two minutes, because I want to go into it blind, but it's giving pretty massive Bioshock + Dishonored vibes with the combat/abilities. And it's pretty as hell, too.

Considering moving everything back a step in my large backlog and playing that when it drops, pretty intrigued by it.

• Like 2

PlayStation has announced a State of Play for Thursday (Feb 23)

Announced for it is a 15 minute demo for Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

There will also be five PlayStation VR2 games slated for this year featured and some other third party titles

On 2/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, Casey said:

I was about to install it on Gamepass but while checking reviews saw stuff like this come up.  https://www.eurogamer.net/questions-remain-over-atomic-heart-developers-russian-origins  Might be worth reading as it personally made me hold off at least until some of these questions are answered.

And no, I'd rather not mention something political about games or anything else for that matter.  But it's something that if it becomes more known might be what's talked about more than whether the game is actually good or not.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I mentioned it in the Destiny thread but it one of the few ways Sony's ownership of Bungie has come through - the Lightfall launch trailer will debut during the State of Play

On 2/20/2023 at 3:40 PM, Death From Above said:

Blood Bowl 3 is coming out in a few days. I've never played a single game of Blood Bowl but this seems like the time to jump in, maybe I'll enjoy it.

Avoid BB3 at all costs. Customization/Cosmetics can cost up to $50 per TEAM and are only available for one player each time you purchase it. As an example, let's say you wanted your human team to have a certain helmet. You'd have to buy 11+ copies of the helmet to outfit each player with a helmet, and each helmet costs 75 warpstone (to compare, 1,000 warpstone from the store costs $10). It's one of the most rapacious milk the players schemes I've ever seen. I'd go for BB2 Legendary Edition, 27 races, and it has things that BB3 doesn't (Some customization for free, and singleplayer leagues against the AI, etc)

• Like 1

Today's State of Play was completely underwhelming. The only exciting things were that Tchia and Goodbye Volcano High got release dates and Resident Evil 4 brought back the suplex~! (and Street Fighter VI have new fighters).

Suicide Squad made me 'nope' out of the game really fast. It looks like Guardians of the Galaxy meets Fortnite meets Sunset Overdrive. What happened to you, Rocksteady?

Edited by Andrew POE!