DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2023 & Beyond)

RIPPA

As per usual - release dates are more of a moving target. This is just a sampling of the stuff that is coming out (theoretically) in 2023. Also this list is not all encompassing

THINGS WITH SPECIFIC RELEASE DATES

• Forspoken - Jan 24
  • Deadspace (Remake) - Jan 27
  • Hogwarts Legacy - Feb 10
  • Wild Hearts - Feb 17
  • Atomic Heart - Feb 21
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain - Feb 22
  • Octopath Traveler II - Feb 24
  • Skull and Bones - March 9
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - March 17
  • Resident Evil 4 (Remake) - March 24
  • Dead Island 2 - April 28
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - May 12
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League - May 26
  • Street Fighter 6 - June 2
  • Diablo IV - June 6
  • Final Fantasy XVI - June 22

THINGS WITH VAGUE DATES

• Darkest Dungeon II - Feb 2023
  • AEW Fight Forever - Feb 2023
  • WrestleQuest - May 2023
  • Baldur's Gate III - August 2023
  • EA Sports PGA Tour - Quarter 2
  • The Expanse: A Telltale Series - Quarter 2 or 3
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong - Quarter 1 or 2
  • Redfall - Quarter 1 or 2
  • Starfield - Quarter 1 or 2

THINGS LABELLED AS JUST "2023"

• Alan Wake II
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Pikmin 4
  • The Wolf Among Us 2

The lying fucksticks at Paradox Interactive insist that there is a possibility that VtM: Bloodlines 2 could be released in 2023 and like a total moron, I pray that holds true.  I am a sad old man.

I suppose you can add the Cyberpunk 2077 DLC, Phantom Liberty, to the THINGS LABELLED AS JUST 2023 list.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

February has an embarrassment of riches for video games too:

Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society - February 14

Theathrhythm Final Fantasy - February 16

Tales of Symphonia Remastered - February 17

Like A Dragon Ishin - February 21

Octopath Traveler II - February 24

Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & Secret Key - February 24

Void Terrarium 2 - February 28

Most of these appeal to JRPG/Japanese game fans, but wow at the number of games. Also, Like A Dragon Gaiden will be later this year and The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie is July 7 and Trails to Azure is March 14.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 9:26 PM, christopher.annino said:

Spider-Man 2, Horizon DLC and Silksong are the only things I want so my backlog finally has a chance!

I bought very little in 2022 aside from the usual suspects (Elden Ring, HFW, Bayonetta, Ragnarok a few others), so I feel like 2023 is going to be the year that crushes my wallet.  First half of the year already looks packed and some people are predicting it’s the kind of year we wanted from 2022 and didn’t get.

Already probably got six day one purchases in January alone (3 new games + Persona 3, 4 remasters and Monster Hunter Rise port).  Also heard that Xbox ports of Solar Ash and The Pathless will drop in Jan, though no official confirmation.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I enjoyed Octopath Traveler until all of the cheap boss fights in the middle campaign drove me crazy.  I may go back and give it another try before the sequel drops.

I feel like Octopath Traveller is a game everyone likes but nobody loves.  It is a great concept, and fun to play, but they really needed to balance out the difficulty.  When you are at a sufficient level it feels like you're constantly making progress, and the pace is pretty much perfect.  Then you get to a point where you are a little underpowered and everything grinds to a halt and you have to just run back and forth fighting the same few enemies until you are strong enough to get to the next story beat.  They have to either do something to make the grinding more enjoyable, or pace the game so you can go from story to story without having to do a bunch of boring grinds in between.  

Octopath Traveler would be perfectly fine if the game would just reel in the Status effects.  I appreciate the game actually going against the grain of JRPGs and forcing you to factor in panacea item use in combat, but enemy debuffs are really overpowered and that throws off your battle rhythm when you are trying to break enemies and stun them for free attack phases. 

It does not help that bosses get like two or three attacks in one round and can debuff the entire party, causing you to waste a lot of time recovering HP or removing debuffs.  It also sucks that debuff item purchases are a gigantic money sink.  If you're about to fight an enemy that uses poison a lot, you don't want to run out of antidotes or mana potions for your healer.

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shocking news!

SHOCKING!

Skull & Bones has been delayed... again

(This was part of an Ubisoft emergency call with investors that.... wasn't good)

Skull & Bones will now come out "next fiscal year" - so theoretically sometime between April 2023 and March 2024

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

XBOX has announced a Showcase for Jan 25

The release said they will feature 4 headline games: The Elder Scrolls Online, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall.

It won’t be a more expansive, E3-like show with a deluge of trailers, and will instead focus more on “big features, extended gameplay showcases, and the latest info for Xbox games launching in the next few months.”

The fact that there is zero mention of Starfield doesn't bode well for its "first half of 2023" release

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

XBOX has announced a Showcase for Jan 25

The release said they will feature 4 headline games: The Elder Scrolls Online, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall.

We're never getting Elder Scroll VI, either, at this rate.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The fact that there is zero mention of Starfield doesn't bode well for its "first half of 2023" release

Xbox also said yesterday that Starfield is getting its own showcase soonish.  Bethesda is still saying that the game will release during the first half of the year.

Edited by Doc Townsend

21 hours ago, JLSigman said:

We're never getting Elder Scroll VI, either, at this rate.

There is no way possible we get Elder Scroll VI with this generation of consoles.  It's already too late.  I was just reading something that said, we're already at the point that any new games being developed are being developed for the next generation.  It is going to take years to create an Elder Scrolls game that feels like a worthy successor to Skyrim.  

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There is no way possible we get Elder Scroll VI with this generation of consoles.  It's already too late.  I was just reading something that said, we're already at the point that any new games being developed are being developed for the next generation.  It is going to take years to create an Elder Scrolls game that feels like a worthy successor to Skyrim.  

This is the tweet that those stories were based on

• Sad 1

The board is being stupid and not letting me edit so considering this part 2 of my response

I agree that Elder Scrolls VI is years away but it isn't at the "not on this generation of consoles" stage yet

• Like 1

They already started some level of development on ES6 and with it not being a completely new property it shouldn't take nearly as long to develop. 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:32 AM, RIPPA said:

The current rumor is it will have its own showcase that is the same size in February or March.

If I’m a betting man, I’d say ES6 comes out near the end of this generation. But that probably depends on Starfield and the next Fable, too. ES6 is still in pre-production as of June of last year, and Todd has said full work on 6 won’t begin until those games are released (but maybe less so Fable now, since it’s taking longer than expected I believe?)

But I also think this generation is going to last longer than ones before it, mainly due to COVID and how that fucked everyone in a lot of industries. We still haven’t even gotten to the point where a lot of people have the new consoles, or to where the last generation isn’t being fully supported still.

• Like 1