DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I need to give Perry Mason another try, as Sandy was 2 or so when I furst tried it and was disteacted by her Mick Foley level bumping around the house (Seriously, she would climb packed boxes and take Nestea plunge off the top. I'd hear a thud and rampant giggling afterward)

James

Someone please tell me that the Americans just has season one-itis where it's slow going or not that interesting and then things really take off in season 2 and beyond. I'm struggling to stay interested in this series, but I've stuck with it for 4 episodes now just because of how much praise it received.

It's still not the slog that the Wire or Leftovers season 1 was, but I do find it hard to give a shit.

Am I the only one that loved season 1 of The Leftovers? I loved the world, I loved the cult stuff, I much preferred the opening credits to the subsequent seasons. Granted, I loved every season of that show, because holy fuck it was good 

• Like 2

Special Ops: Lioness

The next Tyler Sheridan show 

Zoe Saldaña, Laysla De Oliveira, Michael Kelly with Morgan Freeman, and Nicole Kidman.

I've recently started re-watching Arrested Development (well, the original 3 seasons anyways) and there's a chance it might be the greatest sitcom ever made.

Jessica Walters is fucking tremendous, she's one of those actors that every line and facial expression is funny.

• Like 1

I loved The Americans and like Perry Mason. My biggest gripe with The Americans is if they used a vehicle in a scene(it was either a Nissan or Mitsubishi van and they weren't available in the US until 86-ish and the episode is set in '82-ish) and it takes me right out of it. A bit anal I know, but IYKYK.

TBH never seen the OG version. Might as well. Been "stuck" watching older movies on Max that were part of TCM. So far it's been Year of the Dragon, The Yakuza and (now) The Drowning Pool. Mid 70s Mitchum and Newman is interesting.

• Like 1

I hope so. I've got quite a few subs that I keep trying to find new stuff to watch to make the sub justifiable(Apple TV being the one that seems to come first and foremost, but since it's a yearly deal they get a pass).

I've got yearlies on Max, The Cawk, Prime(plus an AMC+ add on) and Apple+. Monthlies are Netflix, Disney/Hulu and Paramount+. Plus there are Tubi, Crackle and Pluto as freebies. Out of them all Netflix would be the first to go(and I've been a subscriber since '06), next would be Di/Hu($19..99/mo) if they suddenly stopped having good stuff(one big upside for them is all of the college football come fall).

I didn’t realize until the other day just how many things I got for free on my Samsung TV, including Vice and I think Pluto, Tubi and Buzzer. Not that I’d watch them, but nice to know they’re there, since my TV is mainly to play games.

I finished White House Plumbers today and am somewhat shocked about the mediocre reaction by critics (62 on Metacritic). Harrelson, Theroux and Headey knock it out of the park acting wise and the writing (and directing etc.) also is pretty good. There might be a loose end here or there that they introduced that didn't need to be there (for example, I am not sure if the show needed any of the JFK murder speculation - a wink here or there would have been fine, but blatantly saying that United Airlines Flight 553 was sabotaged because Dorothy Hunt knew something about what happened in Dallas was not in the spirit of the show), but in total I think they chose well on what to concentrate.

While clicking through some Wikipedia pages (to check some facts, history etc.), I noticed that almost all of the "plumbers" reached a high age - Liddy died at the age of 90, Hunt at 88, the burglars got to 98, 93, 92, 88 and only Sturgis died at a relatively young age (68).

On 6/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, driver said:

I hope so. I've got quite a few subs that I keep trying to find new stuff to watch to make the sub justifiable(Apple TV being the one that seems to come first and foremost, but since it's a yearly deal they get a pass).

Have you watched The Afterparty yet?

Started Ted Lasso, and I'm mildly embarrassed how long it took me to figure out that the owner lady is the "Shame" Septa from Game of Thrones. I was like 8 episodes in. 

• Like 1