DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

Quick question about the Lasso finale: Was Jade even in it at all? I assume she was at least in the background or a group scene, but it’s wild that I have no recollection of her being there. Even though she was a paper-thin character with no discernible reason given for her sudden affection for Nate, she was a really prominent character in his story! 

I think they showed her in a scene towards the end. It was like a group dinner scene or something at the restaurant. I remember seeing Derek awkwardly floating in the background too. 

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm enjoying this season of Beavis & Butthead. Much more so than the first "comeback" season.

yeah I think they've figured the funny stuff they can do that would fit the show without griping about the stuff they can't do because it's offensive/dated. First season there were some episodes that really didn't hit and they were kinda feeling things out (or figuring out which writers weren't good at this show)

They're replaying the last season of The Eric Andre Show and really I think I kinda missed him. Everything is so cringe that it makes me uncomfortable with the guests and the general public at times -- okay, most of the time -- but it's too absurd not to think is the funniest shit ever. 

And there are things like this or Action Bronson and Killer Mike rapping on treadmills which is of course up my alley

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think they showed her in a scene towards the end. It was like a group dinner scene or something at the restaurant. I remember seeing Derek awkwardly floating in the background too. 

Yes, it was the scene with Nate and his family at the Taste of Athens. They share a kiss and then Nate’s dad takes his seat at the table and smiles at him.

• Like 1

I finally started Righteous Gemstones and watched the first two eps yesterday.  That's one that definitely goes hard quickly in somewhat unexpected ways even based on past McBride projects. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

SAG-AFTRA has voted to authorize a strike.

Stupid questions: there are wrestlers who are part of SAG, right? Would those people strike w.r.t. wrestling shows as well?

7 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Stupid questions: there are wrestlers who are part of SAG, right? Would those people strike w.r.t. wrestling shows as well?

I was wondering this in regards to the writers, too. Doesn't WWE employ full-on writers?

Wrestling doesn’t fall under the purview of “screen acting,” so wrestlers are free to continue wrestling, just as screenwriters are free to, say, continue podcasting during their strike.

Also WWE, to the best of my knowledge, is not part of AMPTP, which is who the WGA and SAG are striking against.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Perry Mason was really good, especially the second season after they brought on the creative team from THE KNICK to run it.

In Matthew Rhys-related news, partially inspired by Perry, I’ve recently gone back to rewatch THE AMERICANS. I fell out of watching it early in the third season, so it’s been long enough that I really don’t remember much about it, and hot damn this show was great.

• Like 3

Shame about Perry Mason. I'm just glad they kept it a period piece. I probably would have kept him a detective for the lawyer for longer if I was showrunning the thing but I get that they wanted to rush to the status quo.

Apparently it was another one of those shows were production costs were way higher than the number of views it was getting (at least in HBO's mind)

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Yes, Perry Mason was really good, especially the second season after they brought on the creative team from THE KNICK to run it.

In Matthew Rhys-related news, partially inspired by Perry, I’ve recently gone back to rewatch THE AMERICANS. I fell out of watching it early in the third season, so it’s been long enough that I really don’t remember much about it, and hot damn this show was great.

I also started watching the Americans. I wanted something else to watch since about 12 different shows had a series finale. It was either the Americans or Mad Men and Mad Men is no longer on Netflix. It's on Freevee with ads and the quality kept dipping, so fuck that. So I only got through the first few episodes of the Americans.

I really don't know how I feel about it yet. It's only been a few episodes, but there's something about Matthew Rhys' face that I don't like. He looks like someone mashed together Jason Clarke and Chris O'Dowd and if it came down to it, I'd rather see Jason Clarke than Matthew Rhys in the role. This is probably the biggest of nitpicks, but yeah, it's like that line from Step Brothers, "there's something about your face that really makes me want to punch it."

OH! The short rape scene was really unexpected. Usually TV shows will warn you about that when they present the TV-MA thing. So thanks a lot FX.

Edited by Craig H

Yeah, I forgot about the rape scene, so I couldn’t warn my wife about it, and she was DISPLEASED. She’s just now coming back around to watching it after being totally out after that.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

According to Puck News, Chris Licht has been fired as head of CNN.  

On one hand, yay.  On the other hand, he was just doing everything Zaslav wanted him to do.  The whole thing is just mystifying.  So you own a network that has been vilified by the right for a generation (seriously, I worked at a conservative radio station in the late 90s and the hosts called CNN the "Clinton News Network") and you decide the best business decision is to go after that audience?  Like they could ever be swayed after being told CNN is the enemy for decades???  That's like Outback Steak House slashing their menu to go after the vegan demo.

In the case of CNN, it’s really about what John Malone wanted and less about Zaslav.

Malone is one of those people that thinks CNN was leaning too far left and needs to be more centrist (when in reality they were already the most centrist cable news network out there).

• Like 1