DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I know it says Season Finale in the description, but I’m choosing to believe - no matter what happens - that it’s the end of Ted Lasso. That was near perfect.

Small spoilers I guess, but I’m actually interested in a potential spin-off of the women’s club idea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I know it says Season Finale in the description, but I’m choosing to believe - no matter what happens - that it’s the end of Ted Lasso. That was near perfect.

Small spoilers I guess, but I’m actually interested in a potential spin-off of the women’s club idea.

Yeah, I just couldn't stay up late enough to knock out that episode last night. It'll be probably early in my evening tonight.

My time to watch much of anything is limited these days, but I did knock out the final 3 episodes of Succession last night. That was a mini gauntlet of insane and grueling tv.

I think it does hit home the point that there are no winners in that world, and poor Kendall is in about as low of a place as one could be after that last lie and some other truths come out.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1

I needed a whole box of tissues for that Ted Lasso finale. Every fucking time I hear Father and Son it just wrecks me. It happens when it comes up on Pandora or Spotify, it happened in GotG Vol 2, and again it happened here. 

But that finale was perfect. And yeah, it may say season finale, but you couldn't wrap up a series any better than that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Full trailer for Justified: City Primeval

July 18 on FX and Hulu

Lots of plot in there, so don’t click if you’re worried about such things 

YESSSSSSSSSS! LFG!

Sadly no Boyd in the trailer, but I have to believe Boyd is going to be showing up at some point. I'm sure it will still be stellar, but not having Boyd in this would be criminal.

Edited by Craig H

Is it Hulu same day? I like to watch my shows with subtitles, or headphones, these days and I just can’t do that watching TV through the cable box. For one I can’t figure it out on my Roku TV, and the subtitles are always way off. But anyway…

Fuckin’ stoked for that. I might need to rewatch Justified soon, it’s been a year or two since I first saw it so it’ll be somewhat fresh again.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Sadly no Boyd in the trailer, but I have to believe Boyd is going to be showing up at some point. I'm sure it will still be stellar, but not having Boyd in this would be criminal.

Based on where everyone ended up at the end of the original run, the person I'd most like to see and who might make the most sense would be Wynn Duffy. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

YESSSSSSSSSS! LFG!

Will you settle for Boyd Holbrook?

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Based on where everyone ended up at the end of the original run, the person I'd most like to see and who might make the most sense would be Wynn Duffy. 

I think there's a 100% chance Wynn Duffy and his eyebrows show up in this. Wherever there's trouble, he's not far behind.

• Like 1

That Ted Lasso finale absolutely crushed it. Just really beautiful stuff. I can only hope they don't do anything psychotic like another season or a spinoff, because that would just ruin a beautiful ending.

That finale for Dave was fucking wild. A total departure from the previous two finales, but the big cameo in that turned into a guest starring role was fucking awesome.

20 hours ago, RandomAct said:

That Ted Lasso finale absolutely crushed it. Just really beautiful stuff. I can only hope they don't do anything psychotic like another season or a spinoff, because that would just ruin a beautiful ending.

Apple is going to give them an insane amount of money for a few more seasons, spin off, and/or movie, that has to be why it was listed as a Season Finale and not Series Finale. It seems like everyone involved is smart enough to make it work, they could do two separate shows, one with Ted back in Kansas City and the other with the Greyhounds and the start up of the Women's team.

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Apple is going to give them an insane amount of money for a few more seasons, spin off, and/or movie, that has to be why it was listed as a Season Finale and not Series Finale. It seems like everyone involved is smart enough to make it work, they could do two separate shows, one with Ted back in Kansas City and the other with the Greyhounds and the start up of the Women's team.

That could be the case. It also could be that Apple just doesn't differentiate between season and series. I'd imagine this is the first show to somewhat end on its own terms there. 

I was super disappointed by this season of Lasso. Even my wife, who is not nearly as critical of TV as I am (God bless her) and loves any Hallmark Christmas movie, turned to me during the finale and said, “They really rushed this whole Nate story.”

On 5/31/2023 at 7:50 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Full trailer for Justified: City Primeval

July 18 on FX and Hulu

Lots of plot in there, so don’t click if you’re worried about such things 

Currently on a Justified binge at the minute (midway through S4) and it may be my favourite show of all time so this is great news. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

That could be the case. It also could be that Apple just doesn't differentiate between season and series. I'd imagine this is the first show to somewhat end on its own terms there. 

They do - the third season of See had its last episode listed as a Series Finale.

• Like 1

I didn't hate the Paramount+ adaptation of "Fatal Attraction." It was weird seeing Charlie Conway/Pacey Witter as a grown up doing grown up shit, but it was well acted. Toby Huss is a goddamn treasure. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:50 PM, Mister TV said:

I don't think a series with Ted back in America would work. A large part of the fun was seeing Ted as the perpetual fish out of water. They definitely laid the groundwork for a women's team show; and I wouldn't be surprised to see a series focused around Roy, Nate and Beard with Ted maybe popping up in a guest appearance.

22 hours ago, EVA said:

I was super disappointed by this season of Lasso. Even my wife, who is not nearly as critical of TV as I am (God bless her) and loves any Hallmark Christmas movie, turned to me during the finale and said, “They really rushed this whole Nate story.”

It was a strange choice how they had so much stuff happen off screen. Nate quits his job, Ted tells Rebecca he's leaving, the team discusses bringing Nate back... odd choices considering how long each episode was.

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

This week on Beavis and Butthead

Hide contents

Butt-Head offers to train Beavis after a classmate threatens to beat him up after school.

and..

Old Beavis and Butt-Head decide to get vasectomies thinking that it will help them score.

I'm enjoying this season of Beavis & Butthead. Much more so than the first "comeback" season.

17 hours ago, just drew said:

I didn't hate the Paramount+ adaptation of "Fatal Attraction." It was weird seeing Charlie Conway/Pacey Witter as a grown up doing grown up shit, but it was well acted. Toby Huss is a goddamn treasure. 

Seemed like they want to stretch it out beyond just these 8 episodes. It's not "must-watch" for me, but I do watch them all eventually (mostly because I like Lizzy Caplan).

• Like 1

Quick question about the Lasso finale: Was Jade even in it at all? I assume she was at least in the background or a group scene, but it’s wild that I have no recollection of her being there. Even though she was a paper-thin character with no discernible reason given for her sudden affection for Nate, she was a really prominent character in his story!