DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I can't be the only one that thought Rupert was either about to A) Bag Nate's gf, or 2) Reveal that he was her father.

Also they have managed to come back around to babyfacing Nate, which I didn't think possible.

Beard letting a press conference implode so he can argue guitarists with reporters was hilarious.

• Like 1

Every episode of Ted Lasso this season has been a home run. I'm also getting the sense that this isn't going to be the final season. If it were, they would have promoted it as such. I still believe them that they had this 3 season story arc, but them not labeling this as the final season and some of these stories not looking like they're going to get wrapped up in the next few episodes give me hope for a 4th or 5th season. Of course, given the writers strike, that's going to be a long ways away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Every episode of Ted Lasso this season has been a home run. I'm also getting the sense that this isn't going to be the final season. If it were, they would have promoted it as such. I still believe them that they had this 3 season story arc, but them not labeling this as the final season and some of these stories not looking like they're going to get wrapped up in the next few episodes give me hope for a 4th or 5th season. Of course, given the writers strike, that's going to be a long ways away.

The natural endgame still feels like Ted going back home. I'm not sure how you stretch that out for another season, unless you continue without him.

There have been some criticisms about part of this season from others, and the divorce stuff is tough, but I've largely liked it.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Apple is going to give them an insane amount of money for another season or two. 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Since I don’t watch the show, how did it end up on Apple TV, since it started as an NBCPremier League promo/ad campaign? 

I'm too lazy to google this, but I reckon Sudeikis owns the character?

This week on Beavis and Butthead

Spoiler

Young Beavis/Butthead hear that George Washington grew tobacco and decide to that cigarettes are tobacco seeds and then they go to a community garden.

Old Beavis/Butthead accidentally get married to each other thinking that they'll score with the woman at the office if they do it.

Fine entertainment ensues yet again.

Ken Jennings (is crossing the picket line and) will continue taping episodes of Jeopardy!

However... Jennings' excuse is he's not WGA, Bialyik is... so without him, the producers wouldn't have a show.  

The White House Plumbers HBO show is bizarre and hilarious. Missed the first episode but it should be great. Liddy is played as an absolute nutter with absolutely no self-awareness of such and Hunt seems to be squirming constantly. I noticed in the credits that Kathleen Turner was in the show, just found out that she played Dita Beard and was absolutely unidentifiable. It may have been a bit of makeup, and I know she's old now, but her as fat and elderly was wild. And hey, Kim Coates got a role!

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The White House Plumbers HBO show is bizarre and hilarious. Missed the first episode but it should be great. Liddy is played as an absolute nutter with absolutely no self-awareness of such and Hunt seems to be squirming constantly. I noticed in the credits that Kathleen Turner was in the show, just found out that she played Dita Beard and was absolutely unidentifiable. It may have been a bit of makeup, and I know she's old now, but her as fat and elderly was wild. And hey, Kim Coates got a role!

Justin Theroux is hilarious as Liddy. And I had no clue that was Turner! I'm really liking this show thus far and I wasn't sure going in.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

getting a Liddy portrayal on HBO means that if anybody calls Dax "G. Gordon Liddy" on AEW TV, they're actually advertising for another WBD show. So win-win.

Although the AEW guys old enough to have heard of G. Gordon might not think he's a nutter.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

getting a Liddy portrayal on HBO means that if anybody calls Dax "G. Gordon Liddy" on AEW TV, they're actually advertising for another WBD show. So win-win.

Although the AEW guys old enough to have heard of G. Gordon might not think he's a nutter.

Coach Tony K probably remembers when Liddy posted here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Watched it again, and 1. that's some damn good makeup, 2. having watched Serial Mom 1000 times I should have known as soon as I heard that voice it was her. 

The first ep was on demand so I caught that too. Good setup for everything, underlining just how incompetent these jokers were, how frustrated Hunt was, how much of a nut Liddy was. He started playing Hitler speeches for his dinner guests FFS.

EDIT: Also, Kim Coates is one of the five robbers and I couldn't recognize him. They're doing a good job I guess.

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Just a reminder that Hunt and Liddy were evil mother fuckers.

Oh, all of them. But the rest are bureaucrats who were fine to do what they wanted as long as they had the shield of their positions. They're cowards. Then, you have Hunt and Liddy. 

Hunt's rant in the first episode just feels like venting because his home life is fucked up and he has a job he hates. If he had the ability to look at himself and change he wouldn't think this way, perhaps. He's an intelligent man. He's been around the world, done all kinds of shit. He's even seen a psychiatrist! Yet he's attached by the leash of this nonsensical patriotism and McCarthyism and hatred. Liddy, on the other hand... he's just psychotic. I watched the movie Legend again yesterday and it's really like Reggie and Ronnie Kray: Hunt is the sensible but still dangerous Reggie, Liddy is the verifiably schizophrenic and sadistic Ron.