DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Ok, I wish THAT had been the premier episode of Ted Lasso. Much more in line with what I expected.  Also, they are definitely about to do a Major League 2 angle with Zava being Parkman and Jaimie being Vaughn.

Yep. You can sniff that one from a mile away.

I'm now getting nervous that Roy is going to leave after this season if this isn't the last season.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yep. You can sniff that one from a mile away.

I'm now getting nervous that Roy is going to leave after this season if this isn't the last season.

I think he ends up taking a head coaching job at Chelsea, to kinda bring closure to his "I quit" arc.  It seems like his story this season is him giving up on things he loves when it gets too tough.

5 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I think he ends up taking a head coaching job at Chelsea, to kinda bring closure to his "I quit" arc.  It seems like his story this season is him giving up on things he loves when it gets too tough.

It certainly feels like that when I thought it would be Ted leaving to go back home to America, Beard staying in England, and Roy becomes the head coach for Richmond. 

• Like 2

Love & Death (Limited Series)

Written by David E Kelley

Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter (Mad Men, Homeland)

Elizabeth Olsen, Jesse Plemons, Patrick Fugit, Lily Rabe (I am also pretty sure I saw Krysten Ritter in the trailer)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Not sure if anyone watches it here but You will be ending after its upcoming 5th season

Probably for the best. I felt like they finally had Joe go full heel at the end of season 4, and season 5 needs to be him getting his come uppance.  Also, season 4 was kinda meh.

I watched Shrinking, I didn't notice too many people talking about it but I liked the fuck out of it. Harrison Ford plays good curmudgeon but likable old fuck (who'd a thunk?) and I'm pretty sure Liz and Derek (as in, the fucking GREAT Christa Miller and Ted McGinley) are my wife's all time favourite TV couple.

The show is what it is; it's by the Ted Lasso dudes and, yeah, I like it. 

• Like 1

Ford's role in Shrinking is how I imagine Ford is in real life, except Ford is more stoned in real life. But yeah, I really fell in love with Shrinking and the finale sets up some very interesting storylines for next season. I don't think I really care what they do with Jimmy and Gaby as long as they never fuck with the relationships for Liz and Derek and Brian and Charlie. They should try to get Charlie on screen more too.

It's really nice to see Christa Miller back on screen.

• Like 1

I knocked out the last two Shrinking episodes along with last week's Lasso last night.

I've really enjoyed Shrinking. It may be the most I've enjoyed Ford in anything honestly. However, I could have probably done without the final moments of that finale, and this probably follows in the footsteps of Lasso with having a much heavier and darker second season.

I thought Lasso this week was just a fun episode of television. 

• Like 3

I enjoyed SHRINKING more the further it got away from the initial premise of Segel’s character being a “psychological vigilante” and just became another enjoyable “here’s some friends hanging out” show. Maybe it’s just because I work in mental health, but those first two episodes played more like horror than comedy to me. IRL Segel definitely loses his license to practice and probably goes to jail after episode 1.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EVA said:

I enjoyed SHRINKING more the further it got away from the initial premise of Segel’s character being a “psychological vigilante” and just became another enjoyable “here’s some friends hanging out” show. Maybe it’s just because I work in mental health, but those first two episodes played more like horror than comedy to me. IRL Segel definitely loses his license to practice and probably goes to jail after episode 1.

Part of me wonders if season 2 is going to deal with major legal ramifications for the woman from SNL pushing her husband off a cliff under the guise of Jimmy approving such action with his methods of providing therapy.

And count me in for enjoying the show more when it got more down to friends hanging out and being friends, Jimmy being a better dad and doing actual parenting, and less of the crazy therapy stuff even though I wish my therapist would talk to me like that.

• Like 2

Oh, and Succession fucking ruled as usual.

Also watched the first two episodes of Lucky Hank. I like it, but I couldn't tell you exactly why I like it. Feels like comfort viewing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

I just watched the first two episodes, and they are incredibly depressing. Bill Lawrence shows usually have a better balance of highs and lows, so I'm hoping this gets there.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Billions will end with its upcoming 7th season

My god. It's finally ending. Who needs Billions anyway when you're going to have Trillions and Millions. I also figured Axe would only return for the final season, I guess that explains why he's returning.

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

My god. It's finally ending. Who needs Billions anyway when you're going to have Trillions and Millions. I also figured Axe would only return for the final season, I guess that explains why he's returning.

Dan Soder does because he didn't renew for Sirius XM's The Bonfire after eight years and is hoping that one of the spin-offs sticks.

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So what are the odds that Trent Crimm is actually feeding intel to West Hampton? Or do you think he'd betray Ted and the team like that? I only ask because the last scene this week had a weird vibe.

I can’t see them going that route, remember he’s writing a book about the team and it’s totally going into it.

• Like 1