DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I was never a regular watcher of Live, and I haven't seen an episode of it period in years, so I have no stake in this... But it does feel like they've churned through co-hosts with Kelly really rapidly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was never a regular watcher of Live, and I haven't seen an episode of it period in years, so I have no stake in this... But it does feel like they've churned through co-hosts with Kelly really rapidly.

Eh, Regis retired, Strahain took a massive pay bump to co-host Good Morning America, and now Seacrest is tired of flying to NYC when all his other stuff is in LA, and it's Idol season.

hey so that Yellowstone show is pretty good. I liked it so much that I binged 4 seasons in (almost) two weeks. It's basically cowboy GoT/Succession. Wasn't nearly as conservative leaning as I was led to believe it was. Definitely big boomer/red state moments throughout, but nothing that made me want to stop watching. There are definitely shows out there that have that ability to do so with the underlying or in your face politics - I loved Home Improvement, and hated Last Man Standing, for example. But anyways.

I'm curious about the spin off/prequel shows, but period piece show/movies never really do anything for me. But, then again, the cast for both shows looks pretty good, so... I don't know. I'm torn. And I don't know how to handle watching two prequel shows that are airing at the same time, neither are limited series or close to ending, and set in different eras in American history.

Good show, but I think Paramount went a little overboard with the Yellowstone love. Three shows all on-going in the same universe, none of them set at the same time in history, and a fourth is on the way from what I understand (Four Sixes Ranch, right?). Which, speaking of - that is the one show in all of this that I probably won't watch, because I don't give a fuuuuuck about that at all.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

According to Wikipedia, she’s had two regular co-hosts in the 11 or 12 years since Philbin retired.  Stratham stayed with the show for 3 and a half years and Seacrest has had the gig for close to six years.  That doesn’t sound like much to me.  She was Philbin’s co-host for something like nine years.

I had no idea Seacrest had been on the show that long.  I would have guessed a year or so.  I barely pay any attention to talk shows though.  I’ve never seen Jimmy Kimmel’s show, for example, or the guy on NBC after the news whose name escapes me at the moment.  I’ve watched a couple of Colbert’s monologues over the years, but probably less than six times in however many years he has been on the shows.  With all the other choices available these days even at 11:30 or 12:30 at night, I’m surprised talk shows are still a thing.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:01 AM, Casey said:

I'm curious about the spin off/prequel shows, but period piece show/movies never really do anything for me. But, then again, the cast for both shows looks pretty good, so... I don't know. I'm torn. And I don't know how to handle watching two prequel shows that are airing at the same time, neither are limited series or close to ending, and set in different eras in American history.

Both of the prequels are great, but I couldn't even get through the pilot of Yellowstone.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:40 AM, Brian Fowler said:

As others have pointed out, she hasn't. But, they do pretty regularly have guest hosts filling in here and there for Seacrest when he's off. So, if you were just seeing promos every once in a while for the show, I could see how you might get the idea that there have been a bunch of different co-hosts.

15 minutes ago, Log said:

As others have pointed out, she hasn't. But, they do pretty regularly have guest hosts filling in here and there for Seacrest when he's off. So, if you were just seeing promos every once in a while for the show, I could see how you might get the idea that there have been a bunch of different co-hosts.

They also had a rotating co-hosts after Regis retired, which was basically them testing out his replacement. 

I have said that Abbott Elementary is very consistent and every episode would be a Top 20 episode of The Office or Parks and Rec, but not in the high end of those shows. I have been proven wrong. This week’s episode at the teacher’s convention has hit that high water mark — as good as “Booze Cruise” or “The Debate.” Spectacular and this is a joy to watch. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Succession's upcoming fourth season will be its last. 

On the one hand, it really sucks that season 4 is going to be the last. I thought they would end things with season 5. On the other hand, prolonging the end of the series risks it becoming Billions.

Kids, don't be Billions.

Also, Billions might be the best worst show on TV. It's the same shit over and over again and I laugh at the multiple deus ex machina plot devices each season, but it's great junk food TV.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Larry Manetti will guest star on an episode of Blue Bloods marking the first time he and Tom Selleck will be onscreen together since the original Magnum PI ended

I mean, Larry Manetti has a comparatively short bio.  He’s had about a half-dozen acting gigs since 2000.  Not many people have been onscreen with him in the last 25 years.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://twitter.com/AlexaBliss_WWE/status/1630611673789743115

I watched Daria years after it ended. The musical episode and Daria teaching her sister were the standout episodes off the top of my head.

Loved Daria, but hated the boyfriend. Had xpac heat with me, lol. The paintball episode in the Vietnam course motif was a favorite.

• Like 1