DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 1/28/2023 at 7:39 PM, J.H. said:

I already love Poker Face but man I can just imagine the pitch meeting

Studio Exec: ok Rian let's hear it
RJ: ok imagine a detective show where Natasha Lyonne
Studio Exec: you already lost me
RJ: no hear me out... Natasha Lyonne basically plays Natasha Lyonne but as Columbo
Studio Exec: Are you high? Who the fuck is this supposed to appeal to?

The answer is me!

James

I was hesitant, but Mrs ML won out…we tried it and loved it.

So, for those of us following BattleBots, they now have a nightly (3x a week) Live Show in Vegas (Destruct-a-Thon). They contracted teams to build lower cost versions of BattleBots, with several of each being made, and running five fights a night. The BB subreddit had someone there for a show, and it included one of the Bots taking on a slot machine. Yes, an actual slot machine. No hints on who won THAT battle 😛

On 2/4/2023 at 10:53 PM, J.H. said:

This week's Poker Face was batshit insane and I loved it!

I did make several "Who's the boss now botch?" jokes since Judith Light was involved

James

Random aside...

I have a text thread with some friends from college. Somehow, one day, we ended up talking Who's The Boss and the discussion turned to Judith Light. No idea what the context was.

Anyway, one of my friends on the chain is an airline pilot. The very next day, he sends us a pic of him with Judith Light. She was on his flight.

We tried manifesting some other celebs for him to meet, but no luck.

• Like 3

Showtime is developing a whole bunch of spinoffs for Dexter and Billions. 

• Dexter: Origins
  • A follow up of Dexter: New Blood
  • A back story for "iconic characters" like John Lithgow's Trinity Killer
  • Billions: MIami, which is set in the world of private aviation
  • Billions: London, set in the world of UK finance
  • Millions, about thirtysomething wannabe moguls
  • Trillions

There must be a 30 Rock clip that skewers whatever is happening here. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, colonial said:

Don't know why they keep flogging this horse.

Check out YouTube for episodes of Amanda's by the Sea, with Bea Arthur playing the Basil part, or Payne, with John Larroquette in the Basil role, for reasons why American writers do no get British comedy.

American producers should leave Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers, The IT Crowd, and pretty much every other "classic" Brit-com alone. 

Yes, The Office was surpassed by the redo, but they probably don't understand why either worked in the first place.

Beavis and Butthead will be taking the dreaded "after South Park" deathslot starting this Wednesday as they'll be airing the episodes that have been on Paramount+ since August on cable TV for a few weeks.

So, in theory, people watching these episodes might get them hooked up for another season. But who really knows.

James Corden's reign of terror is nearly over and CBS has finally announced they're replacing him with a reboot of At Midnight

No word on whether or not Chris Hardwick will be back to host, or frankly, when Corden has decided to actually leave. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Really? I always liked @Midnight. What they should bring back though from back in the days of good Comedy Central, if they had the guts, would be Tough Crowd. 

Pretty sure Colin would be game and Jim Norton would love to have a gig where he didn't have to rely on Chip Chipperson.

• Like 1

Colin Quinn? Really? Just what we need, more politically centrist leaning, milquetoast comedians who think you should be able to tell any kind of joke you want because it’s “comedy”.

I mean, that would be right up Colbert’s alley honestly. Fuck it, let’s go for the absolute worst trifecta and get Jon Stewart involved somehow too.

• Like 1

You can't do Tough Crowd again without Patrice. 

I was just talking with a friend the other day about how if Patrice were alive today and got healthy he would have been bigger than Chappelle by this point.

Diabetes is a motherfucker though.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 4

I found out last night that I have MGM+ On Demand and MGM+ Drive-In! They played the UNCUT Robocop last night which I've never seen. The death of Mr. Kinney is so OTT. Then Buckaroo Banzai came on; I skipped a chunk in the middle but was otherwise thoroughly entertained. You might blame consumption of certain "wild flowers" for this, if you're a hater. Tank Girl came on after but I just had no more left in the tank (har har).