DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's interesting. It's basically not doing any of the things I usually love in television. There's no recurring cast outside Falk, there's no real character development over the entire season, partially because we never see anyone that actually knows Columbo on a personal level. If I'm not mistaken, we never even saw the police department building or Columbo's home.

But it's so damn compelling watching him worm his way into each criminal, never seeming dangerous until he already has them.

Also, even though I've been aware of the basic character more or less my entire life, but I had never watched it, so I had no idea it was inverted mysteries where we always know more than Columbo.

They show Columbo in a police station/hq a few times, there's the big scene in "Negative Reaction" set in the evidence room. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They show Columbo in a police station/hq a few times, there's the big scene in "Negative Reaction" set in the evidence room. 

I just started season 2, so I'm a long way off from that still.

OK, so breaking up the Columbo love, I don't mind The Peripheral so much - it's maybe not as intriguing as Westworld began, but it's fairly well-acted and scratches some of the same itch.  But halfway in I still have no idea what's really happening; then again, given the way everyone talks about the past and the future, you get the impression they really don't, either. 

46 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

If you enjoy his interactions with the Police themselves, the A Fiend in Deed is a good one since he's going after the actual Police Commissioner and we sort of see how he is viewed by the top brass as a strange creature, but one to be wary of. He's also in the station a lot. And it's Mike Lally's biggest role at the end of the episode.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, RIPPA said:

Also, speaking of Taylor Sheridan

Nicole Kidman has joined the cast of Lioness, the CIA themed show he is doing for Paramount+

And now Morgan Freeman has joined the cast too

In his desire to eventually play the entire cabinet of the US Government - Freeman will be playing the Secretary of State

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 2

Starring A lot of people. (But primarily Mel Brooks, Wanda Sykes, Ike Barinholtz, and Nick Kroll, all of who co-wrote this)

4 part miniseries begins streaming on Hulu, March 6th. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I tried buckaroo banzai, and it was one  of the worst pieces of trash I've ever seen. Woof. . .as for mel brooks, good for him to make it at his age, but without Harvey Korman and Madeline Kahn. . .  

Edited by Kuetsar

17 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Shit. Be careful everyone. He's not trolling.

There is a small but real percentage of the population who would die for Buckaroo Bonzai. And once one of them starts talking about it it's lights out, man.

It’s not my goddamn planet. You got that, monkey boy? 

13 hours ago, piranesi said:

This is a man who keeps his promises unlike that Buckaroo Bonzai fucker.

Didn't the scriptwriter for the movie write a novelized sequel that was really horrible?

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Didn't the scriptwriter for the movie write a novelized sequel that was really horrible?

There are several Buckaroo Banzai books by the screenwriter out there but I’m not sure If they are reprints of the original novelization or something else.

He definitely wrote a novelization of the movie back in ‘84.  I think the movie script came first, then he rewrote it as a novel.  Apparently, the novelization is very different from the movie and equally terrible,

• Like 1

The book fleshes out a lot of stuff not in the film, including the relationship between Lizardo and Hanoi Xan/the World Crime League. 

They also did some comics maybe 15 years ago that I think were also written by Earl Mac Rauch.

At least we were spared the Kevin Smith TV show. 

Edited by odessasteps

22 hours ago, driver said:

Hunters is back. It still has it.

I just finished episode 3 of the first season and I'm really digging it. Didn't know what to expect, but definitely didn't think it would be so fun and weird. Carole Kane and Saul Rubinek as Nazi killers is pretty much all I need from a show

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I also admit that I often blinders on about BB and the original Highlander film, due to when they came out and my Fandom of them. 

I will tolerate no slander of Russell Nash.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 9:07 PM, J.T. said:

I will tolerate no slander of Russell Nash.

He's from lots of different places!
My friend Breann is in her 30s and never seen Highlander despite the fact she is a HUGE Queen fan. When I rattled off the cast she had to pull over the car we were in and screamed "M ISTER KRABBS IS IN HIGHLANDER?!?"

I love Clancy Brown and pray this isn't his overall legacy

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, J.H. said:

He's from lots of different places!
My friend Breann is in her 30s and never seen Hughlander despite the fact she is a HUGE Queen fan. When I rattled off the cast she had to pull over the car we were in and screamed "M ISTER KRABBS IS IN HIGHLANDER?!?"

I love Clancy Brown and pray this isn't his overall legacy

James

Clancy Brown’s pop culture legacy is so varied and amazing. 

lex Luthor, Mr Krabbs, the Kurrgan, Buckaroo Banzai, Shawshank, Lost, and much more 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2