DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So after a bunch of people telling me how good it is, I decided to watch the first episode of Yellowstone and I found myself bored immensely with it. I also tapped out on my Sons of Anarchy binge a little into season 6 because I just couldn't stand any more of Tara or Gemma, so I'm looking for something new to watch. I remember my dad telling me over and over again how good Justified was so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Yeah Yellowstone is more like BORING-stone. I gave up half way through the pilot. I really dug 1883. I've only seen one episode of 1923 and it's so far, so good. Part of the credit for liking 1883 goes to Tim McGraw and Sam Elliott. 
Speaking of Taylor Sheridan. I gave Mayor of Kingstown a try and it was shaky at best. I'm guessing that Kingstown is supposed to be a stand in for Saginaw, MI. Slow, terrible first episode that picks up a whole lot as the season goes on. I was surprised that it got a second season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

So after a bunch of people telling me how good it is, I decided to watch the first episode of Yellowstone and I found myself bored immensely with it. I also tapped out on my Sons of Anarchy binge a little into season 6 because I just couldn't stand any more of Tara or Gemma, so I'm looking for something new to watch. I remember my dad telling me over and over again how good Justified was so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Watch JUSTIFIED!!!! Not only is it a great show, but if you start now, you can be all caught up in time for CITY PRIMEVAL to come out later this year and be blessed with more Raylan in real time.

• Like 2

I just keep watching YELLOWSTONE even though it’s objectively bad. In the season 4 premiere, Kevin Costner no-sells a two-month coma after like half an hour. Just overcomes it through the sheer power of being an old, gruff badass.  It’s incredible.

Also someone is murdered by having a rattlesnake thrown at their face.

Edited by EVA

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait, Marsha Warfield is still working comedy clubs and they got a stand-in actor? I hope they at least contacted her.

Apparently they didn't and she didn't even know about the reboot until it was announced

Related to that - Richard Moll basically repeatedly said he wanted no part of a reboot/remake. Richard Moll is also going to 80! this year

Bosch Legacy is pretty good so far, though a little hard to understand why they changed the show except to cut all those actors loose (which granted is probably most of their cost).  Too bad every fucking cop in the world doesn't have "everybody counts or nobody counts" tattooed on their fucking foreheads.

Plus they changed the theme song, and OH GOD the new one sucks.

Edited by Contentious C

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Gonna try and Binge His Dark Materials S3 today while doing podcast prep and playing more HZD.

Stayed up way too late but finished, thanks to liberal use of the +15 button during the land of the dead and the epilogue episode. 

1899 has been cancelled by Netflix. This was made by the DARK team, which was a huge word-of-mouth hit for Netflix over the course of three seasons. Now, 1899 will not be given the same chance.

Once again, why would anyone get invested in a scripted drama at Netflix right now?

(FTR, I didn’t care for DARK and found the first two episodes of 1899 to be impenetrable.)

At this point, you have to imagine a similar fate awaits the upcoming adaptation of THE THREE-BODY PROBLEM.

Personally, I don’t understand the folks who won’t watch shows because they may not get multiple seasons.  If I get invested in a show and it gets canceled, eh.  Fun while it lasted.  Time to find something else on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to keep talking about YELLOWSTONE in here, I guess:

Taylor Sheridan is an absurd person. My favorite absurd thing about him is that, every season, he makes sure to write at least one episode featuring his horse trader character “Travis,” just so he can show off what an awesome horse rider he is. SO MANY montages of him and his buddies doing horse reining tricks.

Yes, darling, we know you can make your pony do a pirouette.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’ll never watch Yellowstone, but I’m happy it’s keeping old people in flyover states off the streets and out of capitol buildings. 

Which I find hilarious because the show's actual politics is the exact opposite of those types of people (the Dutton's being a corrupt crime family using the government to their own means notwithstanding).

27 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I’ll never watch Yellowstone, but I’m happy it’s keeping old people in flyover states off the streets and out of capitol buildings. 

Did you mean that to be as condescending as it sounds?  

And Democrats wonder why half the country just tunes them out.  I used to believe in intelligent debate and talking out differences to find common ground, but no one seems interested in that, so my New Year’s Resolution this year is to treat other people’s opinions with the same respect they treat mine (ie, practically none),

• Haha 4