DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 5/26/2023 at 4:28 PM, odessasteps said:

You can already start putting it in streaming playlists with Speed Racer and Josie & the Pussycats. 

Do the GI Joe or Transformers films fall into this category? How about the first film I ever saw in a theater, Masters of the Universe? And for god's sake why has there never been a live action Inhumanoids film ever made? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Do the GI Joe or Transformers films fall into this category? How about the first film I ever saw in a theater, Masters of the Universe? And for god's sake why has there never been a live action Inhumanoids film ever made? 

I was wondering why you were including cartoons, until I realized BOTH were live action. I'm so old. . . .

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Full trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Uh oh... I might have this way too low on my Blockbuster ballot

Soundtrack/score is being done by Reznor and Ross too. When I saw that bit of news last night it really gave me the feeling that this was going to rule.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 8:03 AM, RIPPA said:

That was way, way, way better than I expected. Added to my list to see. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - Oppenheimer has received a R Rating

Oppenheimer (2023) is 180 minutes confirmed, longest Christopher Nolan film.

1. Oppenheimer (2023): 180 minutes.

2. Interstellar (2014): 169 minutes. @Technico Support's favourite film ever 😉.

3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012): 165 minutes.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:03 AM, RIPPA said:

Someone had the good taste to put a track from A Tribe Called Quest in the trailer.

My ballot is ruined.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If Oppenheimer got an R then I guess it'll only be as rough as The Day After. Not quite Threads material. But you never know!

Could be as violent as saving Private Ryan and still get an R. 

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

God Oppenheimer just looks utterly insufferable.

Hell yeah.  I can't fucking wait.  

Oppenheimer/Barbie double feature!  ❤️ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Like most Nolan movies? 

I don't necessarily think he's a bad filmmaker (though Tenet was a bad movie) but he's easily the most overrated director of the current era.

But this looks even more insufferable than most of his movies.

• Like 1

I'm the resident Christopher Nolan fanboy here but will say the last film of his I truly loved was The Dark Knight. I'd rank Nolan's films thusly:

1. The Dark Knight (2008).

2. Memento (2000).

3. Batman Begins (2005).

4. The Dark Knight Rises (2012). I have more issues with this than any other in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

5. Inception (2010).

6. Following (1998).

7. Insomnia (2002).

8. Dunkirk (2017).

9. Tenet (2020).

10. Interstellar (2014).

11. The Prestige (2006).

Of those, I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Trilogy at the cinema. I won't be seeing Oppenheimer (2023) there either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I'm the resident Christopher Nolan fanboy here but will say the last film of his I truly loved was The Dark Knight. I'd rank Nolan's films thusly:

1. The Dark Knight (2008).

2. Memento (2000).

3. Batman Begins (2005).

4. The Dark Knight Rises (2012). I have more issues with this than any other in The Dark Knight Trilogy.

5. Inception (2010).

6. Following (1998).

7. Insomnia (2002).

8. Dunkirk (2017).

9. Tenet (2020).

10. Interstellar (2014).

11. The Prestige (2006).

Of those, I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Trilogy at the cinema. I won't be seeing Oppenheimer (2023) there either.

What the heck? The Prestige at #11? Granted I’ve not seen everything he directed but I was surprised to see it that low.

Personally I’d put it ahead of the Dark Knight Rises (and Batman is my favorite DC character). I just couldn’t believe how bad a job they did with Bane, and how silly the ending was. 

I don't really follow these things, why is Oppenheimer a summer release? I just don't picture people running off to the theaters in July to see a movie about the man who became death and destroyed a world. I've been interested in the Manhattan Project ever since my grandmother told me she worked in a factory that made wiring for both bombs(had a letter signed by Harry Truman thanking her) and I have no desire to see this movie.  

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't necessarily think he's a bad filmmaker (though Tenet was a bad movie) but he's easily the most overrated director of the current era.

But this looks even more insufferable than most of his movies.

I think Nolan is a great filmmaker (agree with you on Tenet, though). I just think his movies get overrated for how "smart" they are. Like, I think he makes excellent movies, but they're really not as complicated as people make them out to be.

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

What the heck? The Prestige at #11? Granted I’ve not seen everything he directed but I was surprised to see it that low.

Personally I’d put it ahead of the Dark Knight Rises (and Batman is my favorite DC character). I just couldn’t believe how bad a job they did with Bane, and how silly the ending was. 

Yeah, I'm in the minority.on The Prestige. Think it comes down to the twist and how you react to it. Jingus, a former poster here out it way better than I could.

Agree with you on those faults with The Dark Knight Rises. Such a step down from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

• Like 2