DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Since new trailers are slim pickings right now - here is just a list of, theoretically, notable 2023 releases (obviously not all releases listed). I also didn't include anything without an official release date.

• Knock at the Cabin (Feb 3)
  • Magic Mike's Last Dance (Feb 10)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)
  • Cocaine Bear (Feb 24)
  • Creed III (March 3)
  • Scream VI (March 10)
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods (March 17)
  • John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (March 31)
  • The Super Mario Bros Movie (April 7)
  • Renfield (April 14)
  • Evil Dead Rise (April 21)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (May 5)
  • Fast X (May 19)
  • Little Mermaid (May 26)
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
  • Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 9)
  • The Flash (June 16)
  • Elemental (June 16)
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
  • Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning – Part One (July 14)
  • Roosevelt (July 14)
  • Oppenheimer (July 21)
  • Barbie (July 21)
  • The Marvels (July 28)
  • Blue Beetle (Aug 18)
  • Equalizer 3 (Sept. 1)
  • The Expendables 4 (Sept 22)
  • Kraven the Hunter (Oct 6)
  • The Exorcist (Oct 13)
  • Dune: Part Two (Nov. 3)
  • The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (Nov. 17)
  • Trolls 3 (Nov 17)
  • Wonka (Dec. 15)
  • The Color Purple (Dec. 20)
  • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec 25)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, The Flash just for Michael Keaton and Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning – Part One are my must sees at the cinema. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is my most anticipated. Yes, a Spider-Man film over a Batman one.

Edited by The Natural

There’s not much chance I’ll ever watch Cocaine Bear, but I did watch the trailer and came away with a favorable impression.  It looks campy and low-budget, but the trailer gives the impression the writers know it’s campy and ridiculous and lean into that.  The bit where the bear chases down a speeding van and leaps into the back of the vehicle - complete with Matrix-style slo-mo - had me rolling.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get it. Did the snow plow run him over? I mean, if it DID... holy shit. 

Yeah, supposedly he was plowing his driveway with.a Sno-Cat, somehow ended up outside the cab, and the Sno-Cat ran him over.  There are several different Sno-Cat models but they are all about the size and weight of a bulldozer.

One my neighbors owns a Sno-Cat which I’ve driven a couple times.  I think they have safety features to prevent driverless accidents, so still not sure what happened to Renner.

A couple reports say a doctor neighbor ran out and bandaged his legs so Renner didn’t bleed to death in the snow before help arrived.

Edited by Mario

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get it. Did the snow plow run him over? I mean, if it DID... holy shit. 

Yeah, it's bad. Doctor applied a tourniquet and it "looked like a crime scene". He was airlifted to the hospital and has a bunch of injuries:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/02/jeremy-renner-new-video-airlift-snowplow-accident-critical-condition-hospital

When I was doing the initial post in this thread - I totally forgot to check Netflix releases so as a reminder The Pale Blue Eye comes out this Friday

That is the one that stars Christian Bale and directed by Scott Cooper

On 1/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, Tabe said:

Yeah, it's bad. Doctor applied a tourniquet and it "looked like a crime scene". He was airlifted to the hospital and has a bunch of injuries:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/02/jeremy-renner-new-video-airlift-snowplow-accident-critical-condition-hospital

My first thought was what happened to Anton Yelchin.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 8:27 AM, Curt McGirt said:

The sequel will be Roosevelt vs. Cocaine Bear.

I would watch the hell out of that. It also makes me sad this was never a real thing:

Spoiler

136678_v1.jpg

• Haha 2

MISSING

Directed by: Will Merrick and Nick Johnson

Starring: Storm Reid, Joaquim de Almeida, Ken Leung, Amy Landecker, Daniel Henney, and Nia Long

The stand-alone sequel to the 2018 film, Searching.

BEAU IS AFRAID

Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Nathan Lane, Amy Ryan, Parker Posey and Patti LuPone

Directed by Ari Aster ~~~  (MidsommarHereditary)

--

A24 and Ari appear to be asking "What if Wes Anderson directed Misery?"

• Like 2

Ari Aster directed a short film entitled Beau, but this feature length movie appears to draw from Munchausen in addition to Beau.

Spoiler

The idea being that sheltering ultimately ends up destroying the thing it is designed to protect and that live is best lived rather than experienced.

Edited by J.T.