DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 17

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

As of now, Teddy Bridgewater will start for Miami when they go to Foxboro this weekend.  

I hate football.   

you are an admin and you post "making friends wherever he goes" and then closes the thread before I can reply.  LMAO great to see an admin treat a member of the site like that. Go look at my post history. I get likes and friendly banter on the wrestling side.  But then I go and express an opinion that many people agree with, whether they are on this board or not makes no difference and I get people jumping down my throat about it. 

Also since I couldn't respond before to @LF2     nobody thought Seahawks would beat KC,  Washington maybe had a shot to beat San Fran (hey Denver did it)  but I don't think many saw red hot Detroit losing the way they did to Carolina.  Did you honestly see Carolina winning the way they did?  

Green Bay coming back against Miami is the one that irked me. You have Waddle, Tyreek and Mostert mix em up.  Tua looked lousy, maybe it's the concussion.   

If you would have asked 4 weeks ago I would have said to you "if the Dolphins work on their D they could be a Super Bowl contender" Now they are going to need help on both sides of the ball.  

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

you are an admin and you post "making friends wherever he goes" and then closes the thread before I can reply.  LMAO great to see an admin treat a member of the site like that. Go look at my post history. I get likes and friendly banter on the wrestling side.  But then I go and express an opinion that many people agree with, whether they are on this board or not makes no difference and I get people jumping down my throat about it. 

The NFL week is over and a new thread was created, just like every week.

If you're looking to check people's integrity or decency, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Oh and before I forget (how could I forget) the other glaring example.  The Thursday night miracle when Baker Mayfield whom the announcers touted multiple times during the game "arrived after we did to LA" came back like Hogan in 87 and defeated the Raiders.  When it took a member of the Raiders defense to slap the ball from Baker to cause the clock to stop as well as give him the penalty yards.   But if that wasn't enough, the ref's threw another flag to help them win the game.  

One rule about the NFL that makes 0 sense is how you can throw a flag for taunting but not for a whole team celebrating in a salvation army bucket when they get an interception. It's stupid.  These teams coming up with their choreographed interception celebrations as if they just wrestled a tag match in Reseda but no flags get tossed.  

Lets also bring up data some more. More specifically "data analytics"  tell me how often teams would go for it on 4th down prior to gambling being legal. I'm not talking 4th and 1, I'm talking 4th and 5 or longer.  You might see it once a week across the whole NFL.  Now it's become a common thread.  Again, not sure how many of you are gamblers but watch the over/under spreads and how close they become each week. How could Vegas be so close? How could they predict so accurately how a team will do. They couldn't possibly know were a players mindset is or if they are sick, or playing while ill, or what's in their mind that day, but more so than not they nail it. 

Just food for thought. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The NFL week is over and a new thread was created, just like every week.

If you're looking to check people's integrity or decency, you're barking up the wrong tree.

he's an admin here. He could have refrained from the comment or tried to debate without being snarky. Did I say anything negative about him ever? Nope.  But I will say I have 0 respect for him.  An admin who can't control himself enough not to make a shit post like that. Lets do better. 

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

he's an admin here. He could have refrained from the comment or tried to debate without being snarky. Did I say anything negative about him ever? Nope.  But I will say I have 0 respect for him.  An admin who can't control himself enough not to make a shit post like that. Lets do better. 

stone-cold-steve-austin-boring.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Your AFC Playoff scenarios for this week.

Clinched: Buffalo Bills (AFC East), Kansas City Chiefs (AFC West), Cincinnati Bengals (playoff berth), Baltimore Ravens (playoff berth), Los Angeles Chargers (playoff berth)

Buffalo Bills

Clinch AFC #1 seed with

• Win at Cincinnati AND Kansas City loss vs Denver

Cincinnati Bengals

Clinch AFC North with

• Win vs Kansas City AND Baltimore loss vs Pittsburgh

Miami Dolphins

Clinch playoff spot with

• Win at New England AND New York Jets loss at Seattle

Cincinatti doesn't play the Chiefs they play the Bills Monday night.     

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

JJ Watt always seems like a class act, glad he is going out on his own terms.

Hard to find a player that has helped not only their home community but the US as a whole as much as him. Whenever there is a major flood/hurricane, JJ is there donating money to help. A true class act. I hope he jumps on as an Analyst/commentator.  He could bring fresh insight to the game. 

• Like 4

@Pedro

let me preface by saying that i am asking this earnestly, out of curiosity, not out of malice or ill intent.

so how, in your estimation, is the "fix" being set up? and who is involved/knows about it? Does Roger Goodell sit down and fill out a bracket for which teams he wants to win each week? Or maybe he books like Vince used to and fills out the Super Bowl and works backwards?

and then he works with bookies so that they can accommodate this and make the most money (and likely kick a percentage back to the NFL)? Then he gets the networks on board, so that they're always airing the most competitive games (or biggest comebacks)? Then he reaches out and selects the refs to fill key positions so that they will set themselves up to make the calls Goodell wants to see? Then he also loops the coaches in so that they can make questionable calls (like 4th down attempts)? Just wondering about the process it would take to actually put into place and how many people would need to be in the know (and ultimately how difficult it would be to keep it quiet).

Also, you mentioned that a lot of this picked up "when gambling was legalized", but when was that exactly? i tried Googling it, but the best i can come up with is that its legality varies by state. it seems like the NFL started pushing the online bets in 2021, so that's still only 2 years of data to go off of (unless i'm going off wrong dates).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Lets also bring up data some more. More specifically "data analytics"  tell me how often teams would go for it on 4th down prior to gambling being legal. 

I've seen you mention this phrase "gambling being legal" or some variant a few times.  What, specifically are you referring to?  What exact date?  100% serious question, not being snarky.  

I've been gambling on Bovada for over 10 yrs.  It's become more accessable via draft kings, fan duel, betparx, betUS, Bet Rivers, Bet MGM, the past 4 yrs roughly give or take.

If you are big into gambling you will also know and see that you can live bet or cashout a bet.  So imagine the people who Bet Minnesota as a leg on their parlay and they are getting crushed. Many of them I would assume cashed out instead of riding out the bet. 

@twiztor  I don't have a real answer. I can only go off of ratings and cities with bigger markets/fan bases.  Do you think NFL wants to see Jacksonville in the playoffs or Pittsburgh?   The dream scenario as I mentioned would be them getting Green Bay and Tampa into the playoffs. 

The games have also become more exciting in the past 5 years. The Hollywood endings, the huge comebacks, it was rarer in the 80's and 90's, the flags also weren't as huge an issue as ref's would let the teams play the game.  

I'm watching the Georgia Southern-Buffalo game right now and these ref's can't even decide what is targetting and what isn't.  Same with NFL what they can call "targeting" in one game isn't going to be called in the next. No consistency. 

Cowboys-Titans should be a Dallas blow out thursday, but watch Sunday's Baltimore-Pittsburgh game. It was flexed into primetime and will be decided on the final drive likely with flags playing a factor.  Same thing for Monday's Bengals-Bills.  Let it play out and we can come back Tuesday AM and talk about it. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I've been gambling on Bovada for over 10 yrs.  It's become more accessable via draft kings, fan duel, betparx, betUS, Bet Rivers, Bet MGM, the past 4 yrs roughly give or take.

If you are big into gambling you will also know and see that you can live bet or cashout a bet.  So imagine the people who Bet Minnesota as a leg on their parlay and they are getting crushed. Many of them I would assume cashed out instead of riding out the bet. 

@twiztor  I don't have a real answer. I can only go off of ratings and cities with bigger markets/fan bases.  Do you think NFL wants to see Jacksonville in the playoffs or Pittsburgh?   The dream scenario as I mentioned would be them getting Green Bay and Tampa into the playoffs. 

The games have also become more exciting in the past 5 years. The Hollywood endings, the huge comebacks, it was rarer in the 80's and 90's, the flags also weren't as huge an issue as ref's would let the teams play the game.  

I'm watching the Georgia Southern-Buffalo game right now and these ref's can't even decide what is targetting and what isn't.  Same with NFL what they can call "targeting" in one game isn't going to be called in the next. No consistency. 

Cowboys-Titans should be a Dallas blow out thursday, but watch Sunday's Baltimore-Pittsburgh game. It was flexed into primetime and will be decided on the final drive likely with flags playing a factor.  Same thing for Monday's Bengals-Bills.  Let it play out and we can come back Tuesday AM and talk about it. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. 

Occam's razor: what's more likely the NFL being fixed;or a combo of refs being human, coaches making mistakes, the rules are against defense and Vegas line makers being REALLY good at what they do?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I don’t see the parlay thing the same way you do. I know how live cashouts work (I personally use FanDuel myself), but I can’t see any reason the league would rig the Vikings game as part of that. Most fans I don’t see betting on Minnesota to begin with as they have (or at the time of that game had) a negative point differential. So it seems like in that example most of the smart money would have been on Indy, and their getting a 30 point lead in only the second game of that week wouldn’t lead to cashouts. 

I know you were talking to @Twiztor too, but why say they don’t want Jacksonville in, but they want Pittsburgh? The only team keeping Jacksonville out would be Tennessee, and the league certainly won’t benefit from that. Tennessee would be one and done. And what is up with this dream scenario nonsense? Tampa is in a crap division, and will be in with a win Sunday. Big deal. I also already outlined why your Green Bay stuff isn’t what you’re claiming. I even gave a clear example of why they should have won by more on Sunday. But please ignore that to make whatever the heck point you think you’re making.

The flags weren’t as big in the 90s either as it wasn’t a QB driven league the way it is now. Look at even an average QBs stats now compared to 1995. 

There’s less than zero chance you’re right on the Steelers game if Lamar plays too. The Ravens blow them out, because they need a win to make Week 18 vs The Bengals be for the Division. 

I’ll see you again Tuesday buddy, and I doubt you’ll admit anything. Especially if Bills-Bengals is close (as it should be). Vegas only has that game as a 1.5 point spread, but again you’ll spout nonsense about how the fix is in anyhow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Occam's razor: what's more likely the NFL being fixed;or a combo of refs being human, coaches making mistakes, the rules are against defense and Vegas line makers being REALLY good at what they do?

when you see replay's that are obvious and the ref's still making the wrong decision come on.   

Problem can easily be solved. Mic the ref's and coaches.  Just like USFL or whatever they called it.  But they won't do it. Ask yourself why. 

14 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I don’t see the parlay thing the same way you do. I know how live cashouts work (I personally use FanDuel myself), but I can’t see any reason the league would rig the Vikings game as part of that. Most fans I don’t see betting on Minnesota to begin with as they have (or at the time of that game had) a negative point differential. So it seems like in that example most of the smart money would have been on Indy, and their getting a 30 point lead in only the second game of that week wouldn’t lead to cashouts. 

I know you were talking to @Twiztor too, but why say they don’t want Jacksonville in, but they want Pittsburgh? The only team keeping Jacksonville out would be Tennessee, and the league certainly won’t benefit from that. Tennessee would be one and done. And what is up with this dream scenario nonsense? Tampa is in a crap division, and will be in with a win Sunday. Big deal. I also already outlined why your Green Bay stuff isn’t what you’re claiming. I even gave a clear example of why they should have won by more on Sunday. But please ignore that to make whatever the heck point you think you’re making.

The flags weren’t as big in the 90s either as it wasn’t a QB driven league the way it is now. Look at even an average QBs stats now compared to 1995. 

There’s less than zero chance you’re right on the Steelers game if Lamar plays too. The Ravens blow them out, because they need a win to make Week 18 vs The Bengals be for the Division. 

I’ll see you again Tuesday buddy, and I doubt you’ll admit anything. Especially if Bills-Bengals is close (as it should be). Vegas only has that game as a 1.5 point spread, but again you’ll spout nonsense about how the fix is in anyhow.

I'l admit if I'm wrong. 

Lamar or not they are going to keep it close. On paper the Raiders look a lot better than the Ravens and yet Pittsburgh beat them.  I know Ravens have a lot to play for but it will be a one score game likely within 3-4 pts 

See ya Tuesday and I'l bring the Cinnamon Rolls

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I'l admit if I'm wrong. 

Lamar or not they are going to keep it close. On paper the Raiders look a lot better than the Ravens and yet Pittsburgh beat them.  I know Ravens have a lot to play for but it will be a one score game likely within 3-4 pts 

See ya Tuesday and I'l bring the Cinnamon Rolls

On paper? What paper are you smoking before saying that? Look at the Ravens record and look at Vegas’s record. You’re definitely wrong if Lamar plays. And I don’t get your obsession with Pittsburgh getting in. To do that they need to have four things happen:

Steelers go 2-0

Jets go 1-1 (vs Seattle and Miami)

New England go 1-1 (vs Miami and Buffalo)

Miami go 0-2 (vs New England and NYJ)

If Miami wins vs New England it’s game over Steelers. 

They best be from Cinnabon too. I’m not accepting any cheap Pittsburgh bakery ones. Which speaking of how’s your favorite pro wrestler Dr. Britt Baker DMD doing?

Edited by LF2
Typo

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

On paper? What paper are you smoking before saying that? Look at the Ravens record and look at Vegas’s record. You’re definitely wrong if Lamar plays. And I don’t get your obsession with Pittsburgh getting in. To do that they need to have four things happen:

Steelers go 2-0

Jets go 1-1 (vs Seattle and Miami)

New England go 1-1 (vs Miami and Buffalo)

Miami go 0-2 (vs New England and NYJ)

If Miami wins vs New England it’s game over Steelers. 

They best be from Cinnabon too. I’m not accepting any cheap Pittsburgh bakery ones. Which speaking of how’s your favorite pro wrestler Dr. Britt Baker DMD doing?

I live in Ohio, love Britt, and Cinnabon it is.

Raiders with Jacobs and Adams I'd take over Lamar and Ravens.  Duvernay isn't healthy either last I checked. 

Not an obsession w the Steelers getting in. Just pissed that they almost cost me entry into the FF Championship. 

18 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I respect your opinions both as a Mod, and a Dolphins fan. However as someone with a history of concussions himself I don’t think shutting him down for the season is a real tough decision to make.

Do you want Tua to live a healthy and productive life, or do you care more about a Dolphins Super Bowl win? Because both of those things don’t seem like they can occur this season. If they rush him back Sunday or in Week 18, and that’s the last game of his career then Miami fans have nobody to blame but their owner, and themselves for wanting him to play. I wouldn’t want Daniel Jones playing in that same instance, and I’m not even a fan of his (the Giants yes, but I want a better QB).

Plus I wouldn’t base any extension he gets on whether or not Lamar leaves Baltimore. Vegas can get out from under Carr, and I’m sure they’d throw all the cap space they have at Lamar. 

This is something I do agree with you on.  When Tua had the first concussion and his fingers bent back he should have been out longer. But coming back and taking hit after hit isn't doing much to help anything.  Dolphins want to win but at some point Tua's well being has to come first. 

A general response to why I think fixing NFL games is impossible, Eddie Mansfield.

The reason why these grand conspiracies fall flat for me is because it's too big with too many moving parts, and more importantly too many people involved, to be a thing. You don't think a ref would cash out a giant payday for "revealing the truth"? Humans by nature are a species of gossip. If there's a juicy secret it's going to leak. A gambling conspiracy of this magnitude would have so many people in the know, even with NDAs, someone would break that confidentiality to be the football version of Eddie Mansfield on 20/20. It's not realistic in the least to expect this organized crime level of secrecy and stone face tight lips. Especially since the HIGHEST paid NFL ref according to Google is Brad Allen at $250,000 a year. How many refs under that would spill it all for a $2 or $3 million payday?

Also those ear piece / mics they wear are a logistics thing. They can communicate and hear each other along long distances. They can communicate the jersey number of who the penalty is on. The head official can communicate the outcome of a review to the side judges who relay it to the coaches before it's announced to the audience. That helps with getting the right personnel back out onto the field and get a play called in a timely fashion.

Just because you don't understand the purpose of something doesn't mean it has to be something shady.

And finally, I don't think the NFL actually gives a shit who makes the playoffs. They are ratings proof. Thanksgiving Giants vs Cowboys this year was the highest rated regular season game of all time. Unless you think Daniel Jones is somehow a megastar ratings draw, that puts a hole in that theory. They could run Jaguars vs Seahawks in The Superbowl and they're still gonna crack 110 million viewers. It's the brand that's the draw, not the stars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

I live in Ohio, love Britt, and Cinnabon it is.

Raiders with Jacobs and Adams I'd take over Lamar and Ravens.  Duvernay isn't healthy either last I checked. 

Not an obsession w the Steelers getting in. Just pissed that they almost cost me entry into the FF Championship. 

You love Britt? I thought you were the guy that would say how terrible she was in the locker room when she was working Indy’s? 

I wouldn’t. Carr has way more bad weeks than good, and Jacobs already said he won’t come back next year. So if it’s Jackson/Dobbins/Andrews vs Carr/Jacobs/Adams give me Baltimore every time. 

You have Jacobs on your team then? 

10 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Is the NFL rigged? Mike Florio sees potential for 'Donaghy-type scandal' (msn.com)

Check out the comments. I'm not alone in my thoughts. 

Comments on MSN, Yahoo, and Twitter are always from fantasy football players, fans of teams that are garbage, or just trolls that want to see the NFL burn. Why else would so many people post there? 

And Mike Florio is not somebody I’m putting stock in. Look at how terrible their weekly QB rankings are. The one week they had fricken Davis Mills in the top 10, and Mahomes at 15th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2