DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite New Year's Smash - 12/28/2022

Hang on, big write-up on the way! Have to switch browsers.

I read that Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D., Jamie Hayter & Rebel vs. Hikaru Shida, Toni Storm & Saraya is also booked for this show and I hope that's true for two reasons:

1) it's not on the graphic, but Ruby & Willow vs TayJay is. Which seems to address my concerns about Saraya being immediately positioned above wrestlers I care about, like Willow. 

2) it would mean TWO BIG LADIES MATCHES ON ONE SHOW! Which would obviously be hugely positive and a thing AEW could do more often. 

So, I hope I am not mistaken about that, and it is actually booked for Rampage or something.

MATCH 6 of 7. Falls count anywhere!

We are mostly taking this series for granted, aren't we? The level of creativity here is just outstanding. Definitely a lot of us take the crazy athleticism for granted now. Like we're indulging in chocolate fondue at the buffet every week and now we are likely to complain if the bananas aren't perfectly ripe or something.

Ethan vs Brian is gonna be a referendum on Ethan, for me at least. I never saw The North. I remain relatively unimpressed with Ethan in the ring thus far. How many dudes have had their best match vs Bryan? A lot! So: This could be very telling.

i like how they have built to Claudio & Mox vs Top Flight. I hope they give the young guys a LOT of room to shine. And I also hope they kick their f'n heads in. And I hope for a show of respect at the end.

Ruby & Willow doing a Rock and Sock variation where Willow's positivity rubs off on Ruby is so much fun! They built on it on Elevation today and it popped the crowd.

I could not be more stoked for Wardlow vs Joe. Oh, baby! BMMSM time.

wiMQF4F.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I read that Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D., Jamie Hayter & Rebel vs. Hikaru Shida, Toni Storm & Saraya is also booked for this show 

AWESOME!  I thought Shida was in Japan this week.  Rebel should get the pin just to fuck with all of us.  REBEL! REBEL! REBEL!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

@Gordlow's right that many wrestlers had their best match with Bryan Danielson. Three off the top of my head: John Cena, KENTA and Takeshi Morishima.

If we’re just counting singles work I’d say Mox and Hangman can both be added to that list too. Either of the two Hangman matches could be the best for his career (Hangman’s I mean). 

• Like 3

I’m interested in what the plan is for Wardlow tomorrow. If they believe in him enough to give the belt right back. Joe’s been an absolute killer in this run, and I wouldn’t want it to end, but it wouldn’t surprise me with how AEW books that the babyface doesn’t walk out with the belt to win it all. Which leads me to believe that they either go double DQ, or Wardlow wins by countering the Kokina Clutch for the surprise pin, that way we get a rematch with a decisive win.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Looks like a really strong show on paper, hopefully the streak of hot crowds continues

I was curious, it's their first time in the Denver area since before the pandemic (3/4/20), Dynamite #22.  Drew 3350 according to this:

https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=474072

Jake Roberts debuted and Death Triangle formed on this show!

https://411mania.com/wrestling/csonkas-aew-dynamite-review-3-04-20/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Looks like a really strong show on paper, hopefully the streak of hot crowds continues

I was curious, it's their first time in the Denver area since before the pandemic (3/4/20), Dynamite #22.  Drew 3350 according to this:

https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=474072

Jake Roberts debuted and Death Triangle formed on this show!

https://411mania.com/wrestling/csonkas-aew-dynamite-review-3-04-20/

Denver's crowds have been super hot at the last two WWE shows they ran. There's a lot of tickets still available for Dynamite so we'll see.

I'm super pumped for the Joe match. My first ROH show was at the Rexplex with Joe vs. Jay Briscoe in a cage.
 I used to always wear this tye dye dress shirt at wrestling shows because I had nowhere else to wear it. It rocked. My friend made it who had a tye dye/ Grateful Dead shop in Toms River for awhile called " Tye One On". He made a lot of money on Dead tour selling shirts because he was the best. His stuff was amazing and this shirt was a work of art.

I met Dusty and Ox Baker that night and the show was great. 
And Joe vs. Jay was awesome. The blood was falling off Jay's head in clots. It was disgusting and fantastic. Joe became my new favorite wrestler right there and then. He was the baddest man on the planet.

I started going to lots of ROH and JAPW shows over the next couple of years, and got to know Joe through his old website and my very early "Internet radio show" using Shoutcast. Joe even put my ex-wife and myself on his guest list for a show.

Some years ago TNA ran a show out here that drew about 213 fans. I was one of them. The main event was Joe vs. AJ Styles , and I was wearing the old tye dye.

I'll be rocking the new button down tye dye shirt I recently bought tomorrow. It's nowhere near as great as the OG shirt, but it's pretty groovy. Hopefully we'll see  Wardlow's traumatic blood loss wiped from the mat with multiple rolls of Bounty because there's another match in five minutes, just like back at the Rexplex.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 10

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

@Gordlow's right that many wrestlers had their best match with Bryan Danielson. Three off the top of my head: John Cena, KENTA and Takeshi Morishima.

18 hours ago, LF2 said:

If we’re just counting singles work I’d say Mox and Hangman can both be added to that list too. Either of the two Hangman matches could be the best for his career (Hangman’s I mean). 

Agreed. I think I'm in the minority preferring the 60 minute draw to the rematch. The rematch is still my 2022 AEW MOTY. Both are *****.

Edited by The Natural

On 12/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, DEAN said:

AWESOME!  I thought Shida was in Japan this week.  Rebel should get the pin just to fuck with all of us.  REBEL! REBEL! REBEL!

I hope Rebel gets a beating and leaves with ripped gear and her face a mess

Spoiler

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'd keep the TNT Championship on Samoa Joe.

Agreed. Presumably the point of the triple threat match at the last PPV was to get the title off of Wardlow without his taking a fall, so I don't see any reason to put it right back on him.

Of course, with the work they've put into building Wardlow up, I don't think you want him to take a clean loss here either. My guess is that Wardlow's next feud costs him the match.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 3

Where are people getting the idea that Saraya is going to wrestle tonight? I might be wrong, but I'd assume Shida is on her way to Japan since she has two title defenses this weekend. I don't think Toni Storm is actually cleared yet either. It just makes sense to have her second match be the January 11th mystery tag partner match.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, Gordlow said:

read that Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D., Jamie Hayter & Rebel vs. Hikaru Shida, Toni Storm & Saraya is also booke

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Where are people getting the idea that Saraya is going to wrestle tonight? I might be wrong, but I'd assume Shida is on her way to Japan since she has two title defenses this weekend. I don't think Toni Storm is actually cleared yet either. It just makes sense to have her second match be the January 11th mystery tag partner match.

Yeah, I don't think that one's for tonight, I think it's for next week's big show with the new set etc. If anything, I bet we'll 'hear from' one or more of them - might be a nice time to go back to the Renee/J.R. 'sitdown' well (though I think we've had a couple sifh Sataaya already so I understand avoiding it too).

I too hope Joe/Wardlow destroy the set, but I bet it'll be Luchas/Bucks given the stip

2 hours ago, LF2 said:

They’ve missed the boat on Eddie so many times. Between that title and not having him and Mox beat the Bucks when they were feuding for the tag belts.

Agreed, Eddie/Mox would've made awesome tag champs, and I also think it does a lot for the tag titles to have a couple main event singles guys like them hold them once in a while (especially if so many tag teams are also wrapped up in trios - Bucks, Best Friends, Lucha Bros, Dark Order just off the top of my head). I also think more egregious than either example though, was the loss to Jericho in that death match. Regardless of the 'visual win' with Jericho taking the bump at the end, it just didn't have the same gravity behind it - especially with the 'cant win the big one' etc. from Jericho in the build. I understand wanting to preserve that Dreamer-like perennial underdog thing with Eddie, or perhaps Eddie IRL doesn't want to be a champion due to personal reasons, but his 'arc' at some point is going to require a big win, and I thought that one was the perfect opportunity 

• Like 3