DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 12/26 - 1/1/2023

The Natural

A week made up of the last few days of 2022 and the start of 2023. Cool that. Smackdown Live features John Cena teaming up with Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns/Sami Zayn. This means Cena keeps his streak of having a match every year from 2002-2022, 20 years of Cena and furthers Roman Reigns/Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens storyline.

I've never tried Raw on NBC Sports app but it definitely streams live on the USA app, whether it's the east coast feed on "regular" USA or USA West for the west coast feed at 11pm ET. That's usually how I catch it now that I ditched cable. 

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

NXT Tonight-

Wes Lee vs Tony D’Angelo for the US title

Wendy Choo vs Cora Jade

Schism vs Odyssey Jones, Edris Enofé & Malik Blade

Fallon Henley vs Kiana James in a family bar on a pole match

That's the best "on a pole" match since "Judy Bagwell on a pole"

JD McDonagh and Julius Creed are fixing to go at it!  I'm excited.  JD McDonagh is the best.  McDonagh goes 1974 heel early, accusing Creed of pulling his hair.  I remember Baron Von Raschke doing that- AND HE WAS BALD!  McDonagh works on the shoulder.  While in picture in picture, McDonagh continues to mangle Creed's shoulder.  GREAT Knee To The Face by McDonagh.  McDonagh is Ric Flair tonight.  GREAT Backbreaker by Creed, which I have not ever seen before.  GREAT Released German Suplex by Creed.  GREAT FUCKING BRAINBUSTER by McDonagh!  Creed CRUSHES McDonagh with a Rolling Lariat!  That was good.  McDonagh is fucking awesome.  It's Wendy Choo!  It's Cora Jade!  Well, THIS is fun!  Jade is a fun heel and Choo is a fun fired up babyface.  GREAT Elbow Drop by Cora Jade!  Okay, Cora Jade is awesome.  Nice Powerbomb by Choo.  Nice Belly to Belly Suplex by Choo!  Jade is making Choo look like a killer.  Choo with the Uncle Slam!  Avalanche/Vader Bomb for the win by Choo!  That was good.  That was a fucking great Elbow Drop by Jade.  It's Ikeman Jiro!  It's Scrypts!  GREAT Tope Con Hilo by Jiro!  Stuff happens.  That was fine.  Lash Legend and the debutting Lyra Valkyria have at it.  Valkyria is Irish!  The influx of British/Scottish/Irish gals into NXT continues!  Lash Legend looks good in this.  Valkyria looks pretty good.  I love her Toprope Splash.  It's like Muta's Powerdriver but off the toprope and not an Elbow Drop but the same idea, drive into your opponent.  It's Joe Gacy!  He was the best thing in that Ironman match.  It's Edris Enofe, Malik Blade and Odyssey Jones!  I love the Rolling On The Dude, by Jones.  I don't know which one is Jagger Reid and which one is Rip Fowler.  Jones is waaay fun after the hot tag!  I loved the SIX Topes to get Jones off his feet.  Double Doomsday Device(s)!  Great Lariat by Gacy.  That match was wild.  Fallon Henley and Kiana James are fighting it out over something I fast forward through!  I GOTTA A LOT OF WRESTLING TO WATCH!  I can't follow dumb WWE storylines!  Fallon Henley is the WWE attempt to create a new Mickie James, it appears.  This match is good.  Henley is screaming like she is wrestling in Stardom.  James is a fun heel.  OH NO!  It appears that Briggs/Jensen is going to turn on Jensen/Briggs to get up with Kiana James!  SHINING WIZARD by Henley for the win!  That match was good but the story behind this match made me become dumber listening to the commentary as it was happening.  Drew Gulak and Charlie Dempsey are MAGIC!  Tony D'Angelo and Wes Lee wrestling for the strap!  D'Angelo is battling with Joe Gacy for Best Secret Steiner of NXT.  SWEET Released Belly To Belly and German Suplex Hold by D'angelo. D'Angelo is definitely more Steiner than Gacy was tonight.   Lee, who usually makes dudes look like killers, is being made to look like a killer by D'Angelo.  Nice Tope by Lee.  D'Angelo hits a THOROUGHLY Scott Steiner Suplex while in picture in picture but Lee retains the headlock.  GREAT FUCKING EXPLOIDER by D'Angelo into the turnbuckle!   D'Angelo starts working the knee.  D'Angelo is suddenly Ric Flair, crushing the knee of Lee.  Lee is taking a man-sized ass beating.  Wes Lee makes a fun comeback that is cut off by a Released Powerbomb by D'Angelo.  Dijak grabs Stacks and distracts D'Angelo enough for Wes Lee to kick him in the head and get the win!  Well, THAT was good.  D'Angelo is the third best wrestler in NXT?  Maybe the fourth.  That was a good episode.

• Like 2

Julius/JD was good stuff as expected.

Cora/Wendy was was fun. Nice to see Wendy so fired up. Pleasantly surprised she got the win. makes me curious what is next for Cora.

Jiro/Skrypts was perfectly solid. Neither guy is remotely bad, but it does feel like both need someone better to really bring out their best. 

Kind of like the idea of Toxic Attraction going after Roxanne for ruining the group's year by taking the title. Curious to see if they go after the belt or get someone to replace mandy. Tiffany Stratton wouldn't be bad choice if they go that route.

Enofe/Blade/Jones vs. Schism was pretty darn fun. Loved how many dives it took to take Jones out. The double Doomsday Device was awesome.

Fallon/Kiana was nice and solid. Kind of surprised we got no shenanigans with them clearly teasing issues between Briggs and Jensen over the latter's infatuation with James. Dug the finish being a mix of skill from Fallon and bad luck for James.

Lee/Tony was probably the best Tony has looked in singles. Dug the beginning quite a bit with Tony in control and how he lost it. The finish worked well enough though I wish Lee went for something different from that triple flip pele kick if due to Tony's leg work. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I rarely vote for WWE matches in the poll, but Enofe/Blade/Jones vs. Schism may be the first time.  

And yeah, I love Jacy and GG but neither of them is leadership material.  Tiffany Stratton would be the best choice to take the helm of Toxic Attraction if I did not think that Mandy Rose was going to be re-hired as soon as this controversy blows over.

Wes Lee was the secret superworker of MSK and can drag a good match out of shit gimmick Tony D'Angelo.  Who knew?

I was also shocked that Wendy beat Cora.  Nice gorilla bomb finisher, tho.

Edited by J.T.

15 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

We are now three for three on Booker T saying "coup d'etat" when the context would indicate "coup de grace"

He followed tonight's up with something like "someone get that guy a MyPillow"

😕

I was way too ill to pay attention to it last night but Book totally losing his train of thought about something in the McDonagh match, stopping and repeating and stopping again because he didn't know what to say AGAIN, was hilarious.

Booker T being a heel commentator by being pro-gentrification during the Henley/Kiana match was amusing.

The six man tag was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Are Jones, Blade, and Inofe strictly PC guys?

I'm all in on Gulak vs Regal Jr. Despite being one of the more underrated guys on the roster I thought Gulak was doomed to waddle in obscurity while maybe being kept around to train people or whatever it is he does behind the scenes, but these two should be able to do some good stuff together.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

The six man tag was a lot more fun than I was expecting. Are Jones, Blade, and Inofe strictly PC guys?

Yep, all three have decent talent though the match was definitely helped by 2/3 of their opponents being GYV who are one of the best tag teams currently in WWE.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Kevin Owens spoke to TMZ Sports about teaming with John Cena on this Friday’s SmackDown:

Me and my son [Owen] will always have a little bond over John Cena. My son, as he was growing up, was a huge John Cena fan. When I signed my WWE contract, I told my son, 'Maybe I'll get to wrestle John Cena one day,’ then I did. And he got to meet John and all this stuff. This was several years ago now, Owen’s 15.

He's still excited that John's coming around. So they’re going to come to the show in Tampa so he can watch it. It's a cool little thing to share with my son anytime John's involved. My son likes WWE but is not an avid fan like I was growing up.

But anytime John comes back around, it piques his interest, and now I get to team with him. It’s cool. He saw us fight each other. Now he's going to get to see me team with him. It’s a neat little thing.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 5:44 AM, J.T. said:

I rarely vote for WWE matches in the poll, but Enofe/Blade/Jones vs. Schism may be the first time.  

And yeah, I love Jacy and GG but neither of them is leadership material.  Tiffany Stratton would be the best choice to take the helm of Toxic Attraction if I did not think that Mandy Rose was going to be re-hired as soon as this controversy blows over.

Wes Lee was the secret superworker of MSK and can drag a good match out of shit gimmick Tony D'Angelo.  Who knew?

I was also shocked that Wendy beat Cora.  Nice gorilla bomb finisher, tho.

I actually think Cora Jade would be a better Toxic Attraction leader as you could play into their shared history but Ford's attitude change putting them in the same wavelength and backing her up as she goes after Roxanne again. 

That multiple tope spot was brilliant and well done. My fave match of the week. 

The Henley-James match was weird because they were clearly trying to tell a dissension story but commentary basically ignored it, even talking about them cheering Henley on when they were obviously fighting. 

Also I love Booker T on commentary. Gives me Dusty vibes  in that you never know if he's going to make a great point, say something funny or absolutely say something insane that has you reaching fo the rewind button. 

Sheamus and Solo Sikoa are gonna have at it!  All Sheamus matches will be compared to Sheamus versus GUNTHER.  Solo Sikoa is good but he isn't GUNTHER so this isn't as intense, obviously.  Nice Lariat by Sheamus.  The crowd comes alive when Sheamus starts beating on Sikoa's chest.  Sheamus applies the TEXAS CLOVERLEAF!  Jimmy Uso CHEATS!  Sheamus dives on the Usos!  Samoan Spike by Sikoa for the win!  They wrap a chair around Sheamus but Drew McIntyre makes the save!  That was good.  Raquel Rodriguez takes on Ronda Rousey.  Raquel is all powerful and throws good punches.  She avoids the damage to her elbow until Rousey throws her into the ringpost through the turnbuckle, as Rodriguez hits a sweet Psicosis Bump.  We come back from commercial, and we can assume that Rousey worked on the elbow.  Raquel drives Rousey to the mat and hits a Lariat with her busted elbow!  They do some cool submissions and counters.  One Armed Flapjack!  NICE Powerbomb onto the apron by Raquel!  Lateral Suplex by Raquel!  Raquel's selling is making this match.  EVEREST FALL AWAY SLAM!  Raquel Dusty's a Rousey Sleeper!  Awesome Toprope Cross Armbreaker by Rousey is fucking beautiful.  That was great.  Charlotte Flair comes out and they do the indie thing of having the champion lose her title after being in a hellish match and being challenged by a wrestler who hasn't wrestled.  At least Rousey was the one who called for the match.  Pretty crappy way to switch titles but I guess that's how they do it in the WWE, as Liv Morgan's title run started that way.  Yeesh.  GUNTHER beats the crap out of Brawn Stroman!  John Cena and Kevin Owens take on Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn!  GREAT Lariat by Roman Reigns on Owens.  TEQUILA SUNRISE SUPLEX by Zayn!  I guess this match will be one hot tag.  Reigns does his own Psicosis Bump to let Cena make the tag!  Owens and Cena do some stereo things!  Owens hits a Stunner on Sami!  That was fun.  

• Like 3