DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Here's the thing about streaming. There's a limit to what I can support, and this year, MLS is outside of it. I have NESN for Bruins/Sox, YouTubeTV for Celtics/National TV, and Peacock/ESPN for additional sports. One could argue I'm already subscribed to too many things already. Locking MLS behind a paywall on Apple+ TV is a step too far.

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Here's the thing about streaming. There's a limit to what I can support, and this year, MLS is outside of it. I have NESN for Bruins/Sox, YouTubeTV for Celtics/National TV, and Peacock/ESPN for additional sports. One could argue I'm already subscribed to too many things already. Locking MLS behind a paywall on Apple+ TV is a step too far.

If you have T-Mobile, they are offering free MLS Season Pass. That's how I'm watching this season. 

I got MLS Season Pass and I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

The price didn't bother me as I already have Apple TV+ so it was only $80 for the season.  That's what Direct Kick used to cost - yes, I'm old - so not a big deal. 

I do question how the league plans on creating new fans with a paywall barrier to watch matches, but I don't get paid the big bucks to figure that out.  (Community outreach, get this MLS 2 league going, reach out to local media, invest in your youth teams, try to work with US Soccer on USMNT/MLS doubleheaders again.....there are ways.)

There were a couple of moments of lag, but that's the case with every streaming service.  There's also an option for local radio commentary, so this DC United fan was happy to still have DCU PBP institution Dave Johnson on the call.  Big unexpected plus for me.

• Like 1

A VERY tricky tie for City against Championship toppers Burnley and City legend Vincent Kompany, and the guarantee that at least one non-Prem club (Blackburn or Sheffield) will make their way to Wembley for the semis. I can dig it.

• Like 2

Spiciest comment about the beginning of today's Arsenal game...

"10 Seconds in and the Arse is down!"

edit: Saw an ESPN UK post say the goal had officially been timed to 9.11 seconds, which is the second fastest goal in Premier League history, and was going to joke that "This proves the conspiracy 9/11 was English sponsored", but these days, I look at conspiracy theorists, and I realize that wilder things have been spread.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Spiciest comment about the beginning of today's Arsenal game...

"10 Seconds in and the Arse is down!"

edit: Saw an ESPN UK post say the goal had officially been timed to 9.11 seconds, which is the second fastest goal in Premier League history, and was going to joke that "This proves the conspiracy 9/11 was English sponsored", but these days, I look at conspiracy theorists, and I realize that wilder things have been spread.

I was there at a historic game. Bradford City vs. Tottenham Hotspur 3-3 at Valley Parade, December 2000 in the Premier League when Ledley King scored after 10 seconds setting the record for fastest Premier League goal which stood for over 18 years. All the home fans sat stunned.

Edited by The Natural

Liverpool 7-0 Manchester United. Missed the first as I was in the cinema seeing Creed III with my Dad and Aje who is like a brother to me. Seen the 6 in the pub. Unreal especially for Aje who is a Liverpool fan. Having one of the best pub experiences watching this.