DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 12/21/2022!

DEAN

Hikaru Shida isn't given enough credit for being the keystone of AEW's women's division. Britt improved greatly, the rise of Hayter rules, the additions of Storm and Athena have helped a ton, but Shida has been there through it all no matter if her opponents could rise to her level. Gotta respect that. 

Meanwhile we've got a whole lotta young talent like Willow and Julia Hart there to grow, Bunny and Penelope improving and falling nicely into gatekeeper roles, and hopefully soon Kris Fuckin' Stat returning. Hell yes.

Although all of that really exposes Jade and how they're treading water with her 🤷🏻

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Hello Friends.  You some big motherfuckers!

Just play some Twin Peaks music during the Rick Ross segment.  It’s way better that way.  Once the Laura Palmer piano part starts during the Parker attack it becomes a tragedy.  

Good cinderblock gimmick for once.  I recall how annoyed I was years ago at that awesome Ambrose/Rollins match on RAW.  It was ruined by the shitty fuck fuck cinderblock prop that just dissolved before it was ready.  Boo!

Hayters pump up on the clothesline was an all time shout out to the crowd.   The crowd was so into her.  Damn.  

Shida (for me anyway) is like every MCU announcement.  Where I hear it and say: “Why the Fuck are they doing Guardians of the Galaxy?”  Then I see it and it’s always awesome.  The crowd does seem to forget her a little bit from all the stretch of absences.  But she always reminds them of her greatness and wins them back. 

I’m going with the crowd in support of The Gunns growing up a bit on this episode was notable.  Good stuff.  FTR made them look good all while keeping their current narrative going.  I’ll buy another one.

Kind of a promo/character building episode this week.  Or at least it would be thought of more in that way if the Main hadn’t hit a home run.  I think long term this is a good thing.  Knowable characters that are defined AND understood are key to maintaining the audience.  Mox never really says anything you wouldn’t expect him to say.  But his promos are thoughtful and expressed in ways that make it clear he is paying attention.  Nothing is cookie cutter about him.  

Bryan relies on cheap pops and such.  But he has the Foley like ability to make it charming and (in this case of San Antonio) for a reason.

MJF showed he could actually keep it short and to the point.  The long drawn out promos we already know he can do.  But can he do a local house show promo in a small market like on Superstars?  Probably.

• Like 4

Shida vs. Hayter was a good match and main event, so I'm glad they got the opportunity to headline this week. Hayter's definitely been one of those cool homegrown success stories in AEW. But they are playing the long game with Britt and Reba. She's going to have to break off with them at some point. 

• Like 3

I had to Google Rick Ross to figure out who he is (not into the music biz and listen to zero rap) so I was mostly just confused by the Swerve-Lee segment.  I wasn’t even sure Ross had turned heel on Lee until he held up the shirt at the end. 

Edited by Mario
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Hikaru Shida isn't given enough credit for being the keystone of AEW's women's division. Britt improved greatly, the rise of Hayter rules, the additions of Storm and Athena have helped a ton, but Shida has been there through it all no matter if her opponents could rise to her level. Gotta respect that. 

Meanwhile we've got a whole lotta young talent like Willow and Julia Hart there to grow, Bunny and Penelope improving and falling nicely into gatekeeper roles, and hopefully soon Kris Fuckin' Stat returning. Hell yes.

Although all of that really exposes Jade and how they're treading water with her 🤷🏻

Sadly, I think people look down upon Shida and her title run because of the pandemic era, and also you had commentators denigrating her like she's only in the position she's in because of Kenny Omega and not because she's a good worker and doesn't work hard. Jim Cornette trashed her in the most vile fashion after she beat Serena Deeb.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mario said:

I had to Google Rick Ross to figure out who he is (not into the music biz and listen to zero rap) so I was mostly just confused by the Swerve-Lee segment.  I wasn’t even sure Ross had turned heel on Lee until he held up the shirt at the end. 

He works an interesting gimmick. Basically if The Big Boss Man lost his feud with Nailz, gave in to the dark side and became Razor Ramon

Shit that sounds kind of awesome actually 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Isn't Kiera Hogan her next feud? They need to have a line up of fresh challengers like hee who are much better workers that can take L's from Jade. She needs more competitive matches against people like Kiera before you have the top Women drop falls to her. This streak is cool but even Goldberg was having matches on TV once or Twice a week. Even if the matches were short and once he started feuding with the Flock, his matches with Saturn were really great matches and I think they probably were a bigger part of him coming along the way he did. It's going to be difficult because the have her as TBS champ, Athena as ROH and Hayter as Women's champ to try to differentiate divisions

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:54 PM, Pete said:

That would definitely explain why he isn't in football anymore.

Texas had an offensive tackle a few years back that Charlie Strong nicknamed NCAA for “No Contact At All”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m not totally sold on Action Andretti, but I see why they think he has potential. He looks body type wise, and sort of wrestles like AJ Styles. I guess that’s the hope for him. But he comes off as very very green. And I do remember a time where I wasn’t completely sold on AJ until maybe when they started taping at the IMPACT Zone. Where he’d come off like a top guy, and worked all the ROH talent that weren’t under contract. Maybe I need that from Action to sell me on him. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 5:43 AM, TheVileOne said:

Sadly, I think people look down upon Shida and her title run because of the pandemic era, and also you had commentators denigrating her like she's only in the position she's in because of Kenny Omega and not because she's a good worker and doesn't work hard. Jim Cornette trashed her in the most vile fashion after she beat Serena Deeb.

Firstly Fuck Jim Cornette. Sorry no offense to you the poster just always wanted to do that.

Secondly Shida actually wasn’t ready for the push she got but to her credit she put in the work every show and improved to a point that made it all worth it. 

• Like 4

There is a reason I haven’t been around here much, don’t read wrestling websites, and stopped listening to wrestling podcasts. It stopped being fun, and it ruined my enjoyment of watching Dynamite. I just came back to see the reactions to this past weeks main event, because that felt like a contender for all-time tv classic. I don’t really need to hear what an old contrarian(Cornette) has to say about the match, or it’s participants anymore. 

edit: Funny I just checked another place I haven’t been to in awhile, and still the same fucking broken record bitch fest. Why is it that lucha is the only thing I can follow with news coverage, and it doesn’t bother me?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

There is a reason I haven’t been around here much, don’t read wrestling websites, and stopped listening to wrestling podcasts. It stopped being fun, and it ruined my enjoyment of watching Dynamite. I just came back to see the reactions to this past weeks main event, because that felt like a contender for all-time tv classic. I don’t really need to hear what an old contrarian(Cornette) has to say about the match, or it’s participants anymore. 

edit: Funny I just checked another place I haven’t been to in awhile, and still the same fucking broken record bitch fest. Why is it that lucha is the only thing I can follow with news coverage, and it doesn’t bother me?

After TK bought RoH and especially after the Punk thing happened the gimmick posters came out of the woodwork and basically took advantage of the laid back mentality of the board as a whole to brigade this sub with their nonsense. 

I actually almost did the same thing as you but I realized just put the gimmicks on ignore and I can see what the people who actually come for real discussion have to say. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Speaking of axes to grind, my only regret about not seeing any of the Best of 7 so far is that I didn't get to see that "The Secret"-spewing QVC-hawking jerkwad Abrahantes get sprayed in the face by Cutler.

Abrahantes adds literally nothing to Death Triangle. It’s going to be great when Pac calls him a dork one day and kicks his head off of his body. 

• Like 2

I’m sure he is nice or something (maybe helps Lucha Bros with stuff behind the scene?) but in everything Abrahantes is involved in, I’m uninterested. It’s unfair for him to be the one to replace the super likable Tony Schiavone on Unrestricted, but I don’t listen anymore. I legit feel bad about this because it’s just a sheer not liking what he brings to Death Triangle thing. He’s too pumped up or something? I don’t know. 

@Matt D, don’t stop the Bockwinkel v Jumbo series. Best part of Dynamite.

• Thanks 1